Magic Square Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jan 29, 2019.

1. IronMachine

IronMachine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly for me the MS version has a better alt mode which is why I would rather choose the MS version than NA. NA alt mode is miniature compared to the MS version while the difference between the MS and the NA versions in bot mode is only about half a head. Don't get me wrong NA Constructicons bot mode are nice, transformation is easy and fun. The only thing I don't like about the MS version is a complicated transformation. The first set MS constructicons wins, but I'm interested to see the next set especially how it will look in vehicle mode vs NA.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the magic square one is a more legend-scale MP effort than the NA one, for better or worse. Like the MS one is less gappy, more toony with the hidden wheels and such, but the amount of paneling stuffed within Scrapper and Mixmaster's lower legs to fold out is a bit much. Though looking at the prototypes of the others, I feel Mixmaster is the most complex with the aforementioned leg transformation, plus all the chest stuff to hide the rear wheels so they won't be on the arms in bot mode, and the others won't be nearly as complex? Like Hook will probably have a similar chest transformation with the hiding of the wheels so they won't be on his arms, but his leg transformation won't be as complex.

That's not to say I think the NA set is junk, but truthfully, its the Reflector thing all over again, I have the toon and toy version from both companies, and while MS has the better looking Reflector, NA's toy deco blows MS' toy deco away in terms of paint and actual toy accurate heads. So if I had patience, I shoulda just gotten MS toon Reflector and NA toy reflector (not that I have any intention of parting with the other two at this point) But yeah, in my desire to have a completed legends scale Devastator I got the whole NA set, but prolly should've waited for some of the other decos, because I'm confident the colors on their diaclone and SG decos will pop. Of course, if the original deco doesn't sell well, will they even make the other decos?

I guess the only other issue besides the overly complex transformation than it probably needed be (which isn't even really an issue) is the size. Like I'm not one of those holy scale-charters (I don't even know how tall these guys are supposed to be against others off the top of my head), but is still weird for Mixmaster to be the same height as guys like Motormaster and Shockwave:
    ms swmmmmsw.jpg
    Yes, they're construction vehicles, so being bigger than the Stunticon limbs is fine, but they shouldn't be bigger than Motormaster.

Speaking of though, its kinda crazy how different the efforts of their Stunticons and Constructicons are. I mean, it seemed like the Stunticons, or at least the limbs, were designed a while ago (since the pre-orders were out there forever and the final product didn't look too much different from the original renders shown on some of those listings) I don't recall if Motormaster had been shown previous to this past year, but he and his trailer do seem to be more though out and complex than the limbs. And there are definitely design similarities between the M-masters, like I feel Mixmaster's cab transformation is much more manageable if you've previously handled Motormaster and recognize the similarities, Mixmaster just has a whole lot more stuff stuffed in there.

• Like Like x 9
  3. fatfaso

fatfaso Well-Known Member

Wait a second… there a NA Reflector?! How did I miss this?

4. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

uh by not following Legends news I would say :p 

• Like Like x 1
  5. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

The larger size is something I prefer about the MS constructions. I know it’s not scale chart accurate but I feel like it makes sense for construction vehicle bots to be larger. And it helps make for a larger Devastator which is a plus in my book.

• Like Like x 4
  6. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forgot to break out Hoist and Grapple to see how they'd look against these for those wanting to recreate "The Master Builders".

mshg msconx2.jpg

And they're a little big against those two, the NA ones prolly work better with these guys:
    mshg naconall.jpg

Though I'm curious if the MFT Grapple will match the MS Constructicons better, much like MFT Blaster is a better match for MS Soundwave rather than their actual Blaster.

• Like Like x 12
  7. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

I think so.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  8. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There aren’t too many scenes where you really see clearly how they scale to one another but here are a couple for comparison.

76FCE131-5BDD-47D4-B255-B61134D186E2.jpeg D2B6BA8B-AED9-441C-ACC9-EFF67700BD3C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Fug. I just scoured the earth for grapple and he’s on the way. Now I need the mft one :mad: I got mft Magnus and he’s way too big. *facepalm*

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jedah Dohma

Jedah Dohma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both of these shots give me the impression that the Constructicons are a bit taller than Grapple.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That’s what I got from it too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jedah Dohma

Jedah Dohma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And then there's artwork like this:
    20210923_005453.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. TurtleCaps

TurtleCaps Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    @gaseous clay "Yes, they're construction vehicles, so being bigger than the Stunticon limbs is fine, but they shouldn't be bigger than Motormaster."

I hear ya, but I look at things by head and shoulders, so mm is taller in that regard, the shovel and mixer holder bits just play out that way to make them bigger,, I wouldn't consider my IF Bruticus to be equal to/ taller than MS Menasor even though his shoulders reach Menasor's head and cannons go higher.
    PXL_20210923_045218616~2.jpg PXL_20210923_053316555.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Depends on which Grapple you go with. MST Grapple is a bit undersized. MFT is better.

New pics:
    007757Dely1gurvt478qoj60j40iwdh702.jpg 0078x5qnly1gus33lomjnj61401hcn1u02.jpg 0078x5qnly1gus33lezktj61hc140n2z02.jpg 0078x5qnly1gus33l0u7oj63342261kx02.jpg
    0078x5qnly1gus33ly5ueg60dc0hsgvv02.gif

• Like Like x 17
  15. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Enemy

Enemy Just hoping everything works out soon.

At this rate I hope the inevitable G2 sets get announced at the same time as Hook & Long Haul

17. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
  18. magicube

magicube Legends Scale Collector

News Credits:
    I’m honestly not expecting any repaints for the Constructicons. MS seems to have cooled off on doing a lot of repaints outside the occasional random variant.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Enemy

Enemy Just hoping everything works out soon.

Would explain what happened to Prowl...

In all seriousness, I would like a G2, but I don't think they'll go farther than maybe a metallic version. Would be fun though to see either them or NA do a set in ROTF colors.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ManelFigures

ManelFigures You can't hear the bass, but you can feel it.

Instagram:
    Ship what?? Second two-pack!?!.

• Like Like x 1