Magic Square Bruticus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by magicube, Jan 9, 2023.

1. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Toon FTMFW.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like both versions a lot. I was totally into toy Menasor in the beginning, but after a while I changed to toon. Thank you MS for giving these options :thumbs2: 

• Like Like x 8
  3. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 3
  4. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I’m in on the toy version. Looks to be new thighs, chest plate, and head all of which I prefer to the toon look. Nice to see there’s options for how to transform vortex too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they follow their pattern, it'll be bonus swappable parts that come with the first run as a way of encouraging pre-orders.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Powerbomb

Powerbomb Nearly done?

No. I'm extremely grateful. This is a wonderful time to be a Third-Party legends collector.

I had one full combiner when I was young, an odd mismash of G1 & G2 Combaticons. I just love that team, because of nostalgia. I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  7. fatfaso

fatfaso Well-Known Member

Knock NA Devy all you want… the thing is stable as a rock and can be transformed from individual bots to individual alt modes to individual parts of Devy’s limbs in no time. Different stokes for different folks and all that. :) 

• Like Like x 18
  8. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Average Everything Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Yeah of the 3 legends combiners that I have, NA devy is by far the most playable

• Like Like x 8
  9. Threash

Threash Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, I see absolutely zero issues with NA Devy and prefer it over MS "slightly smaller combiner shell but out of scale bots" version. Until mass shifting becomes reality I do not care at all about stuff like this, it just has to look like the cartoon in combined and bot forms.

• Like Like x 3
  10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    He looks so much better with the toy parts.

• Like Like x 2
  11. magicube

magicube Legends Scale Collector

News Credits:
    I do find it interesting how Magic Square did not use the color sample of Brawl for the toy reveal of Bruticus. Additionally, it now looks like the Swindle used for the toon reveal is further along than the one they used for the toy reveal - see the darker tires, the metallic strip at the top of the jeep/knee, and the dark plastic used in the middle of the jeep/shin.

bruticus.png

• Like Like x 8
  12. Huub

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Of course NA Devy is really stable, it's a full on plastic frame/body with bots clipped onto (what's Long Haul's roll again in NA Devy?). In my book that's not a combiner at all. Good for the people who don't have any issues with it, but it's a lazy approach imo.
    I'm glad MS takes it a step further with it's combiners and doesn't go all body suit. I'm having lots of fun posing MS Devy, solid, no problems at all.
    Their engineering is crazy and it suits a modern day combiner, plus the options of switching between toon or toy appearance is fantastic.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Combiners are inherently partsformers anyway— which is why I’m not a fan of the gimmick— and the original G1 Devastator relied on nearly as many extra parts as the Newage one. I therefore don’t see where it makes much difference, other than with stability, which is a huge positive.

• Like Like x 5
  14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    What does Motor Master do on MS Menasor? What does Silverbolt do on Zeta Superion? MS Bruticus is closer to NA Devy than any other Ms combiner.

I see no issues either way.

• Like Like x 13
  15. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I'm excited to see if toon has color matched feet while toy has grey

• Like Like x 4
  16. Huub

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So you're really comparing MS Menasor/Motormaster to NA Devy lazy "combining"?
    Motormaster his trailer is an incredible piece of engineering to get the combiner complete. Yes, Motormaster is nothing more than a backpack, but he's still integrated into his trailer.

MS Bruticus is closer to NA Devy? Please do explain.... Bruticus will have a pants (like MS Devy), a chest plate/head (like MS Devy), hands and feet for parts forming (as far as I can see/tell) , how is that closer to the plastic NA Onesie?

• Like Like x 8
  17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I’m comparing the fact that all G1 legends combiners but MS Devastator has the torso member do nothing. MS Devastator is the exception where all members as of right now are truly used. It seems like it’s a sin that NA and Zeta does it but it is fine that MS can do it.

Bruticus torso part doesn’t have a back or arms that’s it. It has one single benefit that the arms combine into Onslaught. That’s it that’s the only difference. Either way you are still slapping bots onto a unibody torso piece. Yes there more customization to it compared to the NA and Zeta figures but still a big heap of nothing unless it’s combined.

But I have no issue with any of these methods. I just find it funny that it’s okay if MS does it but it’s an issue if Zeta and NA does it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Whether the parts look like a robot skeleton or fold up into a trailer, they’re still parts. Hiding them in a boxed shell doesn’t really change the basic formula. Rather than Menasor’s torso being built from Motormaster himself, it’s built from his accessory. Parts are parts.

Maybe I’m not terribly concerned because I don’t ever build the combined form anyway, but to me, these are still partsformers regardless which side you choose to argue. MMC comes the closest to combiner “purity” if that’s your thing, but neither Magic Square’s Menasor nor this Bruticus reach that bar.

Just like what you like. I’m passing on these because the individual bots are too toony for my tastes, but I respect MS and will still keep an eye on this set’s development.

• Like Like x 2
  19. e prime

e prime Chosen by the matrix

I don't usually chime in but, technically motormaster's trailer is motormaster himself. In fiction anyway. I applaud magic squares engineering personally as otherwise motormaster with trailer would have put him out of scale with the rest of the other stunticons. Magic Square also took a rather unique and dare I say awesome approach to the constructions. I need to also point out that combiners by their very nature parts form. It's in the name. Lol. Newage however took it to another extreme.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Huub

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes, a fully engineered transformable trailer is just a part, the same as a plastic body suit. Let's all go and buy super 7 reaction figures instead and sticky tape them together and call it a combiner.
    I'm out.

• Like Like x 8