Macross General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hellbot, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

Different option: delta flight becomes a flying circus after the “definitive” defeat of Windermere in the first movie. Mirage sings. Ernest Johnson Emcees.

The Knights of Windermere all retire to become apple farmers by day and crop dusters by night.

hilarity ensues when the Delta Flying Circus comes to town and they get shown up by a bunch of apple farmers in transforming biplanes.

Every five minutes the film cuts to a Walkure concert completely unrelated to the plot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I finally started M7 and not finding it that good. Too much reused footage, which I was expecting. I also do not like Basara that much. He seems like an idiot to me.

3. Strike Creamsicle

I do feel like the show would be stronger if someone just went and did an edit that removed all the reused footage. Would probably cut out several episodes worth of runtime.

Something I thought would have improved on the reuse of the songs, too, though simply would have been logistically difficult for the audio work, would have been if they had different versions of the songs played at different times.

like Basara spends a bunch of time working on... Submarine Street, I think, in the early part of the show? Or maybe it was Remember 16? Can’t recall. At any rate, while he’s working on it he’s strumming different chords, the VA has probably been replaced by the vocalist while he’s singing here and there... but then when he finally plays it, it’s just the studio version of the song.

A little variety in the recordings, and a little less canned footage, would have gone a long way I think.

4. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am on the Gamlin is best character train.

5. Strike Creamsicle

He doesn’t get enough love.

upload_2020-10-23_18-44-24.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Macross 7 really takes a little while to find its footing. IMO, it starts to get more interesting around the time Sivil shows up and keeps gradually improving from there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

And it definitely makes more sense the second time around. If you watch SDFM, DYRL and Plus first, there are plenty of references both overt and subtle in M7. I’m enjoying it much more during my second stint of watching.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Top Gamlin would have been great as a full encore episode rather then just a short, both for his backstory and for seeing Millia training pilots.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Wow, Veffidas actually talks. i was thinking she didn't.

10. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I'm hoping to finish Episode 28 of Super Dimension Fortress Macross today. Man, I never really watched the series in order like this and love how short it feels. I do have to say that Kamujin did get less annoying the more the series went on, and I can't remember if he comes back afterwards and is even more annoying, but we'll see. I had to laugh at his comment about Minmay's singing. The wedding of Max and Milia was shocking and rather abrupt. I somehow thought that the courting would go longer, but nope. Failed murdering and suddenly they're in love.

11. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, so... late to the party here, but I sorta fell out off the Macross train after Frontier (not BECAUSE of it! I loved everything in that show!) I know very little of what's come out since, so... little help? I've heard of Delta being somewhat divisive and was curious if it's worth a shot. Are there other Macross shows that have come out since?

For the record, Macross is my second favorite mecha franchise outside of Gundam. I've seen the classic Macross, Zero, Plus, Frontier, and enough of 7 to know that it's not for me XD

12. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Delta was the most recent Macross series.

I like Gundams but have never seen a single episode of any series.

13. Strike Creamsicle

You haven’t missed much. After Frontier we’re the two Frontier movies (alternate telling of the plot, not a continuation of the show), then Macross Delta and the Delta Movie (alternate telling of the plot). In theory there’s a sequel movie for Delta coming out, but I think it has been delayed to next year now.

if you haven’t see the frontier movies, they’re excellent. There are some plot changes but stretching it out over four hours instead of trying to do it in one movie really allowed them to develop characters nicely.

Delta wasn’t bad, IMO, it just didn’t really have any substance. Fun to watch, at least. The second half was (again, imo) weaker than the first. I’d note if you have an aversion to j-pop girl bands you might not enjoy it much - the central plot revolves around one and there’s a lot of j-pop music as a result.

the Delta movie was extremely compressed, but I thought for the most part it worked a little better as a story.

14. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

Ok continuing my re-watch of M7 and hearing Sharon Apple playing in the background of the reporter’s office. Nice Easter egg. Especially because I believe the timeframes of the shows overlap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RabidYak

May'n and Nakajima back for a new Frontier concert next year, which is all the excuse I need to post the promotional art.

Hope we get another new single to go with it.

macrossf.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. betsuni

News Credits:
    So I finally finished Super Dimension Fortress Macross last week. This is my first time actually finishing the entire thing!!! I've had the AnimEigo DVDs for eons now and never broke them open past Disc 1. Then I did a few starts of the digital formats, but never got past the first three or so. So this was entertaining for me.

I'm going to follow up from my past post about the show. Going to put it behind spoilers for those who have yet to finish the series.

So yeah, I now see why it is said that the series originally was going to end at Episode 27. Episodes 28 - 32 feel like filler where the writers just were trying to figure out how to fill out the rest and finding their footing. It felt like they figured it out by the time they hit Episode 33 where they focused more on the love triangle which was weird to me. The whole Hikaru loving/not loving Minmay and Misa felt awkward at best. It really didn't feel like it settled down till the last episode. Oh and yeah as I figured, Quazmin ended up being a weirdo moron. On one hand he wanted to continue to fight to make himself happy, then wanted to have his little "culture". Yeah he was definitely an interesting fellow at the end and I didn't hate him as much as I did early on. Overall I'm glad I finally finished the series and now know the background for everything that the newer series bases it upon.

Also funny thing I spotted at the end of the series.
    Did anybody catch Minmay flashing the "Walkure" sign at the end?
    upload_2020-11-23_15-4-19.png

PROOF that Minmay is Lady M! HAHAHAHA!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am up to episode 20 of M7 and my favorite part of the whole show has been the return of the VF-1J. I do not like the vf-11 or vf-19 all that much.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I so wish we'd somehow get a direct sequel to the original Macross following Hikaru... look... I... I just want to see the VF-4 in extended action. It's an obscure Valk design only seen in ONE TIME BRIEFLY in animation and I need MORE...

• Like Like x 2
  19. betsuni

News Credits:
    Yeah it would be nice for one day to find out what happened to Hikaru, Misa, Minmay, and Alto. It would be cool if they did some side stories that would allow the VF-4, or heck other cannon fodder type Valkyries. Sort of how Gundam had some smaller series.

20. RabidYak

The VF-4 was apparently the main space fighter up until the VF-11 and VF-14, so there's like 20 years worth of scope to use it without having to go back to Megaroad-01.

We defiantly need some new OVAs regardless of what is in them though, the universe is big and varied enough to allow pretty much any kind of story at this point.