MAAS Toys Tetra Jets

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I do wonder if BBTS will stay invested through to the distant future of March 2020 and beyoooooonnnd!

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Have never worked directly for Maas so I can't comment about Tetra jets, Cassy also does not work for Maas other than occassional feelance design work. Can and will comment on purple bikes but best place for that is over in the Mayhem Mekanics thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Listening to the podcast, i am at the point of the 2 purple bike giveaways, and it doesnt sound like he has any intentions of ever sending them to the winners... shipping is very expensive, out of his pockets, and has to even find them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

What about the tetra jets?

I’ve got “dig through my PayPal for Maas toys charge” penciled into my todo list
    Even Though I know I won’t get the money back, I feel it is my duty to seek vengeance. Things happen, not all Crowd funding comes to fruition. Unfortunately this feels like %100 the fault of the person I gave the money too. The factory didn’t blow up you got kicked out.

In some way there needs to be consequences. It really feels like the initial terms and details of the crowd funding where not factual.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...MAAS's recommendation for folks who couldn't afford it to pledge-but-subsequently-back-out didn't sit well with me at the time, apparently with good reason...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Pretty sure I saw some BSF videos where he said he did the artwork and he did it for free because it would be neat to get his stuff on a box.

• Like Like x 4
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's known that he did the artwork and in a sense it does bias him towards his guest and their company but I don't think it's a huge problem at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    You're correct, he hit upon it at least 8 months ago on a sit-down Saturday video and I think maybe a bit sooner than that even. Hell, I knew and don't keep up with this kind of stuff any more or "dig" to find the "truth".... Someone is on a witch hunt and has their blinders on I think.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, I'm certainly no fan of Bobby's, but still knew about this just because of Emgo's review long ago. Didn't he do art for a few Fans Toys products as well, or am I confusing him with someone else?

10. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

I don't *think* so?

I remember the MAAS one because he was going to announce it and made a big deal out of it by saying "I'm doing artwork for a 3rd party company toy box but I can't say who it is right now...stay tuned" and I kept thinking it was going to be Fans Toys.

Then he said it was MAAS Skiff and I thought "Huh..not one I wanted but still cool for him". He came in saying there was something that came up time wise or whatever and didn't or wasn't getting paid but he did it for free because it was still cool to help out and get his stuff on a 3rd party box. He apparently knew up front it was going to be for free but he felt good doing it. Don't want to make it sounds like got screwed on payment or something because that's not what he said.

Pretty sure that was how it went down and it's the only one he did for any company.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Anyway, to those who where in Hasbro's Jabbas sail barge crowdfund last year, should receive it this weekend. My order is arriving this Friday.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm definitely thinking of somebody else then, thanks man.

13. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Wow, and here I thought there might be more info on this, but it's still the same stale excuses.

If anyone has money still "invested" in this project, go to your bank and place a chargeback on your card NOW. Don't even bother going through PayPal because it's too late.

At least now I can be an asshole and say "I told you so" when it comes to believing anything Spence has to say.
    Looking through all the stuff on Cybertron.ca makes it pretty unclear. It's clear that Boris now owns A3U, but it's murkier than that. Alex owned Urban Samurai and sold that to Spence. Spence sold A3U to Boris.
    Alex then appeared to be working for A3U (when they were "sharing a store space", Alex was still there, even though he had already sold Urban Samurai) and he's almost always on A3UReview with Boris.
    So I think it's fair to say that Alex works for Boris in some fashion now, and we can see from Alex's previous posts that he's kind of an asshat.
    Spence still hang out at A3U sometimes, for whatever reason.
    The conspiracies that Boris was a figment of Spence's imagination obviously aren't true, the doxxing that Boris, Alex and Spence were all crying about was publicly available business registration info, and Spence did seem to still have some involvement with them.

Now, I don't know how that combined store layout looked, but from what I could make out in that Cybertron.ca thread, it sounded like they had one counter and therefore one point of sale... for two stores. But that doesn't work. Either they had multiple computers (say two, one per store, for example) or there were actually multiple counters... or they were operating as one store, in which case they were either operating as Urban Samurai or A3U. Unless they went a super-inefficient route of changing back and forth between stores on one computer, but that seems a bit daft if they were indeed (as it sounds) keeping all the stock for both stores in more or less the same place, which would just add to the confusion.

This is, of course, all conjecture based on the information I gleamed from the Cybertron.ca thread, but it sounds to me like they were essentially operating as one store, and their shared business cards would support that.
    Suddenly, the fact that Boris owns A3U with Spence(r) no longer working there and only helping Boris as a sort of mentor doesn't seem as clear-cut - is that the whole truth, or was Spence still working for A3U in some fashion of which we aren't aware?
    It seems interesting to note that Spence and Boris never tackled the queries that were more along these lines (apart from the first time, where they both basically said "we're just friends"), and instead tended to pick only the crazy conspiracy theories to respond to.

So all this is to say that we don't really know what Spence's involvement is with A3U these days. He could just be Boris' friend (poor Boris), or he could still be working for A3U in some fashion. We really don't know for sure, but there's information out there that at least suggests there might be more to the story than we know.

Devil's advocate here though: Boris seems like an okay guy (although he did act like kind of a dick towards the end of the Cybertron.ca thread, when he really should have just said his piece and left it at that, but it was 10 years ago so I can give him the benefit of the doubt), but I think he just got into business with a shitty person. Some of those people on Cybertron.ca nailed it - don't go into business with Spence, end of story. Even if you're on the level (Boris, in this case), it's not worth the risk to your reputation and business to deal with a person like him.
    Yes they are. That's why these sort of questions appear on visa applications. Some people are dumb enough to answer them truthfully. That being said, in those cases, there can be repercussions if you don't answer truthfully and you're found out later on, but still. Spence may be sly, but he isn't exactly smart.
    Because people are FINALLY standing up to his bullshit, and he knows he can't win, but the normies on Facebook will eat his shit up. (Seriously, have you seen the people who post on the official Transformers Facebook page? Most of them are insane and/or true Geewunners, and it's gross).
    Funny how he picks the more obscure podcasts (not taking potshots, but there are bigger Transformers podcasts out there) on a platform full of normies who don't know the whole story behind this shitshow.
    Yes, but then he designed the box art for Glyph as well (or was it Bug Bite? I forget) which they didn't end up using because they got a local artist to do it instead, wasting Bobby's time in the process. He said he didn't mind because he understood why they did that but it would have been nice if he knew in advance so he didn't waste his time... which goes to show how poorly organised this whole mess is.
    Dude was doing stuff for you for free and you turn around and say "nah, sorry, you just wasted your time because we could have told you in advance not to do this work but we didn't".
    No matter what you think of the guy, Bobby didn't deserve to be screwed around like that.
    He implied in a recent video that he designed all four pieces of artwork, but they only used three of the four (as I mentioned above). It's hard to tell for sure if he just meant it was the fourth figure they were putting out or the fourth one for which he did the art, since he did specifically say he did the art for Skiff. Either way, he goes on to discuss the artwork for the "fourth one" and what happened there.
    Relevant video with timestamp:

He didn't review them because he said he'd be biased, so I can't gleam much more information about his involvement (specifically, I'm not sure if they sent him the figures for free or not, but I thought I heard that he did get sent all four for free). The other video where he discusses them is also rather vague on the details.
    Another relevant video with timestamp:

B-B-BUT HASBRO'S AN EVIL CORPORATION WHO IS OBVIOUSLY SCAMMING PEOPLE! YOU SHOULD SUPPORT THE LITTLE GUYS BECAUSE YOU CAN TRUST THEM A LOT MORE!

Oh wait a minute...

• Like Like x 6
  14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Guys, we need to keep this thread on topic, please. At this point, several posts have been deleted for different reasons. Please take time to review the board rules here: TFW2005 Rules

At this point,we've heard from both the maker and other members. Our goal here is to maintain a peaceful forum for a variety of opinions, both positive and negative. Members are not permitted to directly insult each other, for example, so please refrain from doing so, thanks.

15. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...today's A3U are good folks: outstanding customer service, followthrough, and reputability in my experiences, they don't deserve being party to this discussion...

• Like Like x 3
  16. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    It's relevant though because Spence is still involved with them in some capacity (whether he's just a friend of theirs or not is still unclear, as per my long-ass post above).

17. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Poors Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    He didn’t do any box-art for FT. It’s just a running joke with him and his buddies because everyone thinks he’s on FT’s payroll.

18. slayback

slayback Well-Known Member

Your information in your 'long-ass post' is somewhat incorrect.

Spencer has no dealings with Ages. It's cut and dry. He doesn't own any of it, or have stock/shares in it.

Alex has his own business. Alex does video shoots and editing for Ages. That's it. Alex is also a nice guy and not an 'asshat'. He's pretty friendly and normal, and just like everyone else -trying to make a living.

Hope this clears things.

• Like Like x 2
  19. slayback

slayback Well-Known Member

Oh and I missed a part - Spencer doesn't hang out at A3U. He's been out of country for about a year and some, and even before his visit - he had been out of the country for a pretty long time as well. So no, he doesn't hang there.

20. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Look at the Cybertron.ca posts and how unclear they are about it at times.
    Look at how much of an asshat Alex was - and granted, that's 10 years ago, but it's not exactly an impartial stance that he took.
    Look at A3UReview, which Spence is on as a guest sometimes - even if he has been out of the country for sometime now, he's been on there plenty of times in the past.
    Look at the previous relationship between A3U and Urban Samurai, of which was never made abundantly clear outside of claims from Boris and Spence.
    As I said, he might just be their friend and that's it, but there might be more - the point is that we don't know, and to assume either way definitively is naive.

So no, I stand by what I said. My information was not "somewhat incorrect".
    It was speculative and not definitive, with plenty of qualifiers, and presenting most information as possibilities rather than a concrete reality. There is a lot that most of us here do not know for certain, and so all we can do is speculate based on what information we do have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.