MAAS Toys Tetra Jets

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree that this concept does not track with what I picture a tetra jet to be (as seen in the screencap). Probably the biggest visual aspect for me is the smooth curve from top to wingtip. I would probably fail to recall the other details without having seen the reference picture.

I know people aren't fans of the Impossible Toys version, and I recognize the weaknesses of the figures, but I do respect the attempt and can personally appreciate the outcome. I own two Starscreams so I can display both modes (and because they became cheap enough to do so).

I also appreciate someone else taking a stab at this concept. I'm not saying that MAAS Toys isn't creating a cool figure, but yeah, it doesn't scream "tetra jet" to me.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

No worries. I apologize that my post sounded more dickish than I intended. I was just trying to make the point that the forums would be a boring place if we always had to wait for final products in order to discuss our opinions about it. What would TFW be without nitpicking even the smallest of details?? ;) 

Plus, those feet do look awfully similar to the seeker mold, and it seems early enough to change, so feedback isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    As long as the price is reasonable I'll bite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't know. I think I prefer the design MAAS came up with over the toon model. It's more... Striking, I guess.

Still not sure if I'll get these guys though. Rainmakers, I might jump on, however. That being said, I'm very curious as to what the engineering on these guys is going to be like. The tetra-jet design feels like one of the most impossible designs to translate into a physical form, so I'm curious to see if MAAS can pull it off.

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I agree. The bot mode definitely looks way better than the Impossible Toys version, but the alt mode doesn't look quite right. Yet the Impossible Toys version has the better looking alt mode and an oompa loompa bot mode. Of course, I'm thinking that if someone made the alt mode look like that screenshot, it might be like IT's and have some panel/kibble. Meh...

6. RubberChicken

RubberChicken Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I don't see how it would be possible to make a tetra jet alt mode look like an F-15 robot mode. I would be perfectly willing to concede that a toy version would have have different kibble in robot mode. Even as a kid it seemed strange that an alt mode with such a different shape would transform into a robot that looked exactly the same (but hey, cartoons, right?)

I think Impossible Toys had a respectable attempt. The details are soft (mushy?) and the proportions are off, but it is still a G1 looking robot out of that wonky tetra jet shape. It's a challenge most haven't even attempted without severely compromising the alt mode.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm more concerned about the toys from a design perspective. Their War Within/G1 MTMTE Bee design while visually appealing was less than amazing to handle and he is a relatively simple figure. Specifically, his shoulder assembly was unnecessarily hinky in my opinion. My concern is what design choices they'll make when faced with what is generally accepted to be a far less forgiving altmode like a tetrajet.

Hopefully, MAAS toys won't make the same choices they made with Goldbug/Bumblebee. I personally don't have high expectations, though given how 'sloppy' their first offering was. I'd love to eat my words on this one.

8. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Tetra jet seeker is a difficult design to get "right." But this one looks good though for what it is.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd actually prefer someone make a bot mode that looked more like it came from that alt mode.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    That's my biggest concern right now. I don't have Skiff, but in-hand reviews and such made him out to be rather messy. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and put out an amazing figure with this one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree that making the Tetra jet alt look like the stndard Seeker bot is a tough call. Impossible toy's actually did it pretty well, all things considered. It was several years ago, and was smaller than the usual MP scale so that makes it even more impressive to me. I've actually wavered back and forth over paying aftermarket proces for their Tetra's for a long time.
    This is not 100% in alt mode, but the fact that they can produce such a slick bot mode from it says volumes (assuming the end result looks as good as it seems to)If it ends up looking as goo as the renders, I'll have the three main seekers. The issues other are pointing out are real but for a niche model like the Tetra, not a big deal to me.

12. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder how they are gonna make the Tetra jets look like the regular seekers. I hope they do well, it seems like they have some good ideas

13. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...for what it's worth, i'm really impressed with volk as their first effort out of the gate: it's darn-near perfect effect quality execution, and i say that as someone with MMC, DX9, and BC figures in my collection by way of comparison...

...i think most of the mixed reviews come down to his shoulder configuration, as a lot of folks fail to reverse his upper shoulder ball joint from the more-conventional joint-in orientation, which leaves him with wonky outspread-ape arms...part of that is likely due to maas' decision not to include instructions, which i understand from a cost-saving perspective but don't necessarily agree suits how premium their design and execution come across...

...regardless, on the basis of volk alone i'm quite excited to see how their tetrajets turn out, despite my constructive critique of minor tweaks which i feel could go a long way toward improving the design's premiere-episode feel...

...their bumblebee is a figure i've dreamed of having in my hands since 1984; hopefully wheeljack and jazz aren't far behind!..

• Like Like x 3
  14. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Oh man they bring that out the box and I'm in for a 24 ct. :rock 

15. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    mmhmm and skiff already looks like a cylon raider... all he'd need is a silver/grey redeco :D 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. Allsparky

Yup! That's good! Put me down for a squadron of "skiff raiders" as well! C'mon Spence, work your magic baby! Tis $$$ in dem repaints no?

17. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

Already done!

Not sure if you had the original raider toy but it had the coolest feature of the wings that pop out and missiles could be fired. That was awesome!

cylon.jpg
    PEW PEW PEW!

• Like Like x 5
  18. Allsparky

Oh crap, completely forgot about Volk! Yessir I do remember and I did have for awhile but that was many many moons ago. Lol

19. gregformercy

gregformercy Well-Known Member

I heard Bobby Skullface is MAAS toys. Discuss.

20. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    Nah, we all know by now that @Maz and @Sixo are the sole owners of the third party world.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.