Love/Hate relationship for Portal

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Jan 19, 2008.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've had the Orange Box since it was released, but I never got around to playing Portal until yesterday for the first time. I thought I'd kill an hour or so before running some errands...3 1/2 hours later I'm still playing.

While not a huge fan of puzzle games, I did find that the gameplay of Portal was quite fun...though some of those levels really played w/ my head. I was having lots of fun figuring out each level, although some did talke me quite awhile...

...then I got to the 19th level of the first "episode" or whatever and got stuck. Sure, I knew better than to listen to the AI voice and I got through a good chunk of the level before I just called it quits.

Looking for some pointers here. I just scaled the tall room that was full of the automated guns. I got to the highest point where at the end of the hall you must go up again. I figured out that if I place a portal in the floor in just the right place I can shoot up just high enough to see the ground up above...only thing is I haven't been able to get enough momentum to fully land up above. I placed another portal back in the tall room where I could fall through it giving me the speed to shoot up through the other portal...but I'm just oh so shy of being able to get up there. Half the time I fall back through the portal I shot up through and end up back down at the bottom of the tall room w/ the guns.

I tried and tried for at least 30-45 mins in this area before I called it quits. I love the game, but I'm so pissed I'm that close to finishing level 19 and not being able to do so.

I'll try again later, but I've got so many other games that need some attention that I probably won't dwell on this much longer.

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You have to finish it, otherwise you'll miss the ending. And there may or may not be cake involved.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But there's no sense crying over every mistake.

You just keep on trying.

'Til you run out of cake.