Lost Light 25: lovely wheels

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Nov 6, 2018.

1. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha, given the questions he received online and the reactions in this forum, he might've benefitted from thinking that one through a bit more. :) 

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    God damn. I haven't really read LL since it started, but I figured after being a huge, almost rabid fan of MTMTE for so long, despite falling out of love with Roberts' writing, I owed it to myself to check out how it all ended. I figured I kinda owed it that much? After all the shit I've talked in its defense, and after all the shit I talked at its expense, and all.

I will not miss this book. I did not realize how much this book had fallen. It's practically a parody of itself, every joke that was made by irrational haters of MTMTE seems to have been made reality and then-some. It was such a gooey, lovey-dovey ending that it felt disingenuous. It literally read like a bad fanfic. There was no sense of restraint or dignity here, just self-indulgence. What started as a book that broke new ground and set a standard of quality has devolved into pure pandering. It feels like all these characters who've had such dynamic, contrasting personalities have all been sort of muddled down into variations of the same person. I was rolling my eyes so much the room is still spinning, from Cyclonus kissing Rodimus, to Whirl's avatar's shirt... it's almost like the book is mocking the progress it made years ago. When Chromedome and Rewind were revealed to be "Conjux Endura" it felt like a really respectful, dignified approach to the concept. Now everyone is in love, everyone is kissy-kissy, everyone is "Conjux Endura" or something. Any time a media gives in to the shippers, it just strikes me as pandering, and I can't make myself not believe that because I'm not naive.

It's just... disappointing. And I'm sure people are gonna hock shit at me for this, but this is honestly how I feel the book has evolved. (or devolved)

• Like Like x 20
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:

• Like Like x 5
  4. DoctorFunnyAF

DoctorFunnyAF Active Member

From someone invested in this comic from chaos theory (2011) and onwards, (like many others) and just someone who has a hard time letting go of things, I am going to miss these characters even if the writing isn’t a masterpiece like season 1. These characters and what they’ve gone through meant so much to me from when I was a freshman in high school to about to be graduating college. I spent 7 years, 1/3 of my entire life reading this comic. Every story isn’t perfect and it doesn’t need to be. It’s entertainment and while being entertained you do feel and care for the characters after a while. I honestly believe this story was the best in Transformers history. If season 3 wasn’t so compressed and a 4th season was allowed, it would have been more developed and less rushed with more character focus. However, I would take this series over any live action movie and many TF comics. I bought every single issue over 7 years and while I know some people will be happy to see it go, I’m glad this was made. It really brought depth into transformers especially after mike costas run. It was a fun read.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    This ending hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. After spending nearly seven years with so many of these characters, getting to know them inside and out... it hurts to know this is the last we'll see of them. I may not have always agreed with some story decisions made, but I still loved this cast and am sad to see them go. I was pretty satisfied with everyone's endings, although honestly, Rodimus becoming a depressed wreck under Thunderclash's command trying to cling to "the good old days" may have stung the most. Whirl and Cyclonus's last scene was pretty perfect, and it's nice that Rung lives on in the Lunarians.

I wish that we got some mention of what the Scavengers were up to in the scenes that took place years later, and I do also think that Grimlock should have had more of a farewell scene, but he was never exactly a main character in this book and the issue had a lot of other stuff to cover; maybe we'll get something with him and the other Dinobots in OP #25 if we're lucky. The whole "second Lost Light" thing also felt very "have your cake and eat it too", but I suppose it's somewhat comforting knowing that there's still a happier version of the crew somewhere out there in the multiverse (although it would had been even happier if Nightbeat had made it!).

So to James Roberts, Alex Milne, Jack Lawrence, Nick Roche, Josh Burcham, Joana Lafuente, Tom B. Long, and everyone else who ever contributed to MTMTE or LL... thank you for the past several years. You did good!

Now to prepare for the sadness that will be coming with the two other last issues we'll be getting this month! :( 

• Like Like x 11
  6. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Rest in peace,
    Ratchet.
    Also rest in peace,
    Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This is as best a happy ending as we were going to get from MTMTE. Cyclonus kissing Rodimus wasn’t a romantic kiss. It did feel out of character for him but his relationship with Tailgate caused him to mellow out a whole lot and be able to be open with his emotions. As for Whirl’s avatar, Whirl is intentionally provocative so wears an intentionally provocative shirt. If anyone else wore it, it would be “what the hell?” but because it’s Whirl who wore it, I get a “oh, it’s just Whirl being Whirl”.

The whole issue was about closure for the surviving main cast in some form or another. The whole point of the issue was to wrap things up which it did.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm - when Swerve mentioned the glaring omission I took that to be Skids, not Rung. Both work for me.

Honestly I’m in the camp that’s glad it’s over. To me the series felt derailed after Dark Cybertron and it became involved with issues over narrative. There’s a place for these things but it should always be narrative and character first (in particular I’ve always felt that Giant Days has this mix exactly right). The clever storytelling ebbed away and though the heart of what attracted me to the series occasionally resurfaced, the substance just didn’t seem to be there any more. The emotional core, for me, just evaporated.

That said, while it wasn’t so much a comic for me in the end, I’m pleased that it was important to those who found something in it that appealed to them. At least in my losing interest others found something to love and maybe Transformers broadened it’s appeal. That’s a win.

So the conclusion... bittersweet, but less for the ending details and more for how I won’t miss the series as much as I would like to.

• Like Like x 4
  9. DoctorFunnyAF

DoctorFunnyAF Active Member

However on the subject of art,
    I think season 3 would have been much better if Milne was on art. He conveys everything so dynamically and very detailed; his art helped defined those characters’ personalities in the same way costumes and makeup help define actors on Tv and in movies. Like Roberts said at one point in an interview or on twitter somewhere (feel free to search it), he says Milne has a better grasp at visual storytelling than he (Roberts) does. I believe that is one of the flaws of Season 3 because without Milne’s “definite” take on the characters, it all seems weird and that might be one reason why the characters started sounding more alike, though writing also has a big role in that as well. I still will miss these characters as I feel they’ve become apart of my everyday life

• Like Like x 5
  10. Blue18

Blue18 Well-Known Member

Just so I understood correctly .... my english is not that good:
    The lost light and crew were "copied"? The originals have now flown together into another universe. The copies are in the original universe and life continues there.
    And is the Megatron on the last pages the original or the copy? :confused: :confused: :confused: 

WAAAH!!! I'm confused. Complicated things + bad English = :banghead: 

In any case, I think it's a pity that it ends. That was one of my favorite comics. Maybe your can continue in the new universe.... I'm curious what we presented as a restart.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right, but a lot of Transformers fans don't seem to also be Marvel/DC comics fans. As a result, there's a considerable number of people that don't want to see the same superhero tricks in a Transformers book. In general, Transformers generally enjoy clean breaks from continuity to continuity (G2 and Regen 1 being the notable exceptions as branching continuous timelines from the G1 books).

This last issue tries for that wistful "it never ends"/"the adventure will always continue" feel, but for me it's just a Robert's bum rush towards leaving stuff for his fans to mine for infinity (bad) fanfics until the sun burns out.

Yeah, that's more or less what happened. The inference is the Megatron on the ship is the "copy".

My personal headcanon is that the Quantum Drive split actually created a THIRD Lost Light in which the crew runs away from Windblade wearing cheeky lingerie and wielding a rolling pin, all of the Terrorcons, and a confused Wheelie strapped to Bob while Yakity Sax plays.

Because every series written by a British person should have a Benny Hill ending.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    There was a lot weird stuff and I really did not like all the hugging and kissing. Ugh. But the end was great. I think the end should have been a little longer and the beginning a little shorter. Reminded me, again, of an episode of Voyager. I liked how Chromedome and Rewing found a better way to communicate, with Chromedome just carrying Rewind around in his neuro socket. And I liked how happy Whirl was to be living with Cyclonus and Tailgate.

But then again, I'm also glad it's over and that I really have collected a complete run from start till the end. I will probably never do that again, as physical comics take up to much space, but having this series on my shelves is really great. It was a fun ride. I expected something different and still wish I would have gotten that... basically what the quantum clones are doing right now, what were NOT getting as a story, that's what I wanted to read basically :lol 

Although, technically we don't know which one's are the original and which are the clones. Basically both are the real ones.

13. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Neither is a copy and yet both are. Such is quantum mechanics.

• Like Like x 2
  14. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Yep, 113 is a number Roberts references all the time due to it being the first issue of Marvel UK he read.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Surely the point of a copy at a quantum level is that both versions are identical and neither one can said to be the copy. Both of them have identical memories at the point of the split.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fark Gnarkl

Fark Gnarkl Unwisely still awake.

Dove into Dead Universe, but belly-flopped.
    Guess it's a testament to what James' undeniable strengths are as a character writer that I'm legitimately sad right now.

Can't argue with the issue #2 point, or that Cyclonus, who runs pretty emotionally hot-and-cold anyway, wouldn't still have the presence of mind to thank Rodimus for it all. And hey, if it did something for other people even if it didn't me, it can't be 100% off-base.

Maybe if they'd shared more panels together I'd have felt it, especially as their raid on Unitrex-1 has always been one of my favorite action setpieces of either series. Always been neat to see Rodimus teamed up with someone he doesn't feel the need to constantly bounce quips off of-- just sheer, desperate action in the heat of the moment.

17. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    I've not been a fan of all the relationships going on in the book. What once felt unique and special and wholesome with Chromedome and Rewind, and then Cyclonus and Tailgate, became watered down when just about everyone was treating the act of pairing up as so commonplace that it was almost as jarring we hadn't seen it before.

Ratchet and Drift was alright, I guess. But Drift calling him "Ratty"? Christ, I winced. Sometimes less is more.

MtMtE and LL were victims of themselves. The series was amazing for a number of reasons and they tried to capitalize on those reasons far too often. Some of this issue suffered hard from it.

That said- I can still honestly say that while others fell off, I still thoroughly enjoyed this series as a journey and was always excited to see where it went. Even through the valleys and the peaks.

It was a bittersweet read, and the bits about them having already forgotten Rung, and Ten's figures of the deceased joining them on the bar table? I felt things. And that's good enough for me.

Rodimus once thanked the crew for traveling with him. I'm glad I did too. I'm glad I didn't give up on the series, even if it was just so I could be there when it ended. And I'm still torn on which version of the ending I want to treat as "canon" in my head.

Not gonna lie. I finished my first read of the book, and set it down... then immediately looked up to my shelf where I have my figures. There's two of them encompassing the cast of this series. And I felt a strong tinge of sadness about it all. Rodimus called it. Highs and lows of this series be damned- there won't very likely be another one like it.

Well traveled, Crusadercons.

• Like Like x 8
  18. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Sorry I can’t remember who mentioned the idea that Swerve was the only one who remembered Rung. But if true...why Swerve?

I’ve also heard lots of definitive statements on Megatron being executed. But presumably Rodimus could equally have had the star if Megs had been imprisoned? I guess we’ll never know. Doesn’t matter I suppose seeing as it’s all ending, but it would have been nice to know for sure what happened to him. Once a tease always a tease I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, both are just as real - something some people couldn’t get their heads around back in S2 either. Quantum duplicates means what once was one gets split into two identical originals - not one original being cloned into a second.

Thats’s why Lost Light 2 Rewind was just as original as Lost Light 1 Rewind: apart from the 2-5 years history that doesn’t add up with Lost Light 1 Chromedome’s, he’s had (and had been) the guy’s exact same history hundreds of years prior. :) 

Swerve got hit with the metabomb somewhere during the run of this book, that’s why he sometimes acts aware of being inside a comic book (and why he sometimes does the synopsis).

You’re right in that Megatron *could* have given away his Star even if he was imprisoned and hooked up to a machine. But Roberts already vaguely confirmed that execution wad the outcome (besides, even without hope of seeing release, would Megatron want to give away his -harmless- Star - the thing that reminds him of the good times, and possibly the only good thing he has left?) :) 

Your other 50% jumped into a new universe looking for more adventures? :eek: 

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  20. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    we achieved an enjoyable comic book run that ran for seven years.

• Like Like x 9