Lost Light 24 - spoiler: it's OUT NOW!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Sep 25, 2018.

1. unknown456

unknown456 Not-So-New Bot On The Block

Quick. Too too quick. Not rushed per we, just quick. When I got to that final page, I wasn't expecting it to be over! I wanted like 20 more pages!

Overall, I enjoyed it. Seeing everyone slowly get overwhelmed really got me. After seeing everyone actually get shot and blown up, I didn't know who was and wasn't going to make it (although now, I'm pretty sure that everyone but Whirl did. And I wouldn't be surprised if even he made it). And that one panel of Megatron beating bots to death with his bare hands? It was only one panel, and it wasn't lingered upon, and it just worked. I was fully expecting him to open the Matrix though! Guess he still doesn't believe in himself (which I should've known, considering the speech he made a couple issues ago).

And Rung... I was expecting at least a little more of him making the Matrices or thinking back on Skids, but given limited page space, I get why it wasn't. As I was reading it though, I was surprised by how little his death was lingered on by everyone. But then his final message, "Don't forget me", that really hit home for me. And I'm pretty sure that next issue it'll be talked about. Call me crazy.

It still hasn't hit me that next issue is it for LL, and the next couple of OP and Unicron are it overall. I'm not ready to say goodbye! :( 

• Like Like x 4
  2. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Yes exactly - the Functionist Council kept declaring them redundant.

3. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

There are three new places (hot spot): Automica, Vauvaire, Sansaw Sanserre. The latter two sounds French (Faut faire, Sans, etc). Is there any significance?

4. iamtfc

iamtfc Well-Known Member

Actually, there should still be one from the Functionist Universe on their Cybertron, still hidden somewhere. Though I doubt it'll happen, it would be neat to see the Lost Light pop up in the Unicron book and save the day at the last minute.

Of course, I don't get how the empty half Matrix is even doing the stuff it's been doing over in "Optimus Prime", but I guess that's a discussion for a different topic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You’ve got it!

• Like Like x 3
  6. justiceg

News Credits:
    This is an interesting read too. I like it.

(Incidentally Roberts confirmed the original sadder interpretation too...but that’s the good thing about good works. More than one way to view a scene).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Huzzah! I award myself one Rodimus Star.

• Like Like x 3
  8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roddy's pep talk reminded me of the old "Daily Affirmations" skits on SNL where Al Franken's therapist character would bolster his self-esteem by looking into a mirror and saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it... people like me!". Roddy states that these characters aren't good enough or smart enough, but dog-gone it, they've formed an ersatz family, so they love each other anyway. Roddy, as the captain, is the figurehead of that family, and his function is to dispense validation, to make sure everyone feels loved.

I think that's the same relationship as between Mr. Rogers and his audience of children. And I always found Mr. Rogers creepy.

The best way to look at this is to take Roddy as a satirical character, but you know what happens when I try to actually talk about that? People start crying about how Roberts didn't intend me to read the book that way, because apparently you aren't allowed to just read something and come to your own conclusions, you need to get citations from the author on twitter.

• Like Like x 5
  9. justiceg

News Credits:
    You know now that you mention it - there managed to never have been a time in the last several million years that the armour took a hit that caused it to explode and eject its occupant? Makes me wonder how did the secret of Ultra Magnus survived so long...:) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh, I think I missed that. What was the sadder interpretation he confirmed?

I wish this more thoughtful criticism had been your initial post on this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  11. justiceg

News Credits:
    The “Come with me, eyebrows!” flashback is symbolic. After the first time it occurred in the series Rung ascended to the ceiling to join Skids. After the flashback Rung ascended to the afterlife to join Skids a second time.

I suspect if Roberts hadn’t have been dealing with the compression of his plans, the shot of the sentio Metallica and the 12 matrices would have been the final page of one of the issues...definitely came off that way to me.

Side note: I do agree with hardlurk (and you) that “the speech” came off like the usual trite rah rah rah speech, but I noted:

A) trite speeches are Rodimus’ thing
    B) if you compare this “what do I do?” -> speech moment to his one in Mtmte 2 it stacks up favourably :) 

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cheers.
    And yes, I described it as trite myself in my first post in this thread. It definitely fell a little bit flat for me, despite the good points you made.

13. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Still processing this one. It felt very rushed, but the actual content and events were very satisfying. I feel like I need to hold off for the conclusion before any real opinions form. (Though I admittedly don’t even want it to come...)

I think we’re meant to see Minimus popping out of the armor as an intentional ejection, not a direct result of the blow. During the war, the death of an individual “Magnus” would be a necessary sacrifice in favor of exposing the facade. I’d say there are plenty of times a Magnus bearer could have ejected themselves from the armor to save themselves, but it would have given away the secret.

At this point, Minimus only seems to wear the armor for practicality, having grown past the Magnus identity. So when he takes a hit that would have been fatal, instead of “going down with the ship,” he pulls a last-minute eject, since the current priority (opening the Matrix) demanded his survival.

• Like Like x 5
  14. justiceg

News Credits:

OOOOO. Love this!!! Thank you. Also explains how/why he ejected out of the second smaller armour set.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    I doubt Whirl is dead, I think the artwork just didn't play out the scene very well.
    During the assault it looked very much like Brainstorm and Magnus also died (When Whirl retrieved the Matrix, it sure looked like Magnus was a corpse). Other characters, like Grimlock and Crankcase, just outright disappeared.
    Others were also dismembered and exploderised and then ok, eg Rodimus and Swerve.
    So like Whirl is ok.

• Like Like x 1
  16. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On a personal level the speech very much hit home for me. So while it was, for the most part, a Rodimus speech it still had me weepy in bed at 1 am.

• Like Like x 5
  17. optimaloptimus2

optimaloptimus2 Sonic Xtreme, not Mario!

News Credits:
    And now I have too. Curse you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. levyshahar

levyshahar Nemesis Wheelie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not the best of trolls. I give you 2/5

• Like Like x 4
  19. Sagitta

Sagitta Nuetral

Meh. Being an older TF fan, knowing how prickly fans can be, & this being the WWW where civility has a tendency to take flying lessons right out the window anywhere there's a forum or comments section...there's always going to people who would rather spout than have meaningful dialogue.

Not that I'm perfect either. @:) 

Life's too short trying to dialogue when hitting against a brick wall.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    You mean the one from the Rings of Akhaten? Great, thanks, it wasnt enough to tear like a child when reading those but now I will mix my re-reading of this issue with that song and will cry LOTS more. xD No, seriously, that whole sequence is very emotional and...you saw these "weirdos" coming together all this time and having them surrounded like that while Rodimus talks to all of them..its impossible not to choke a little.

I do recognize this feels bit rushed but it did its job. I am bit confused about the
    whole Skids appearance. What was that about?Skids taking him to the afterspark? Ok, I can dig that I guess. Was just a tiny confusing, that's all.

Man, I am gonna miss this series so much. :( 

• Like Like x 1