Lost Light #2 iTunes Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jan 14, 2017.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Yeah, when it comes to the 3.99 per issue. I'd rather get a novel out of it than see a few pictures. The balance in most of Roberts books makes it more worth it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm not so sure. When characters talk too much, I think I prefer the pictures.

Roberts has always been wordy, but every now and again, he crosses the line.

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

"No one likes us because of you."
    "You insulted Ultra Magnus, you offended Swerve..."

considering the bulk of team Rodimus, I would think this would make you fit right in. Particularly the 2 in question, Mags would internally chuckle at Swerve being offended and Swerve would tell stories for weeks about gripes to one of UM's slideshows.

4. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

I find this artwork far too "cutesy" for a series that deals with such serious things as torture, death, grief, agony, life after death, betrayal, etc etc. Milne was a better artist for such an "adult" series, IMO.

In the first Lost Light, Megatron looks cute. Adorable. You wanna pinch his cheeks! Anyone who had read most of what I post knows that I am a Magatron fan and I adore what Roberts has done for him.

I want him to look tired, haggard, someone who has walked through hell (of his own making, yes), and now is in an entirely new body that doesn't quite fit. I don't want him to look like a robotic chipmunk. I don't know how Milne conveyed that so well - something to do with those lines beneath his eyes that seemed to convey age lines.

While it's not fair to compare the two different artists (everyone has a different skill set), I think the one doing LL now (I can't remember his name) was a poor choice for this series, and should be doing something a little less mature and disturbing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Javelin

I tend to see things differently. One of the things I loved about MTMTE is that it wasn't just throwing action scenes at you left right and center. It's not a Bay movie, where conversation only seems to explain why something is blowing up THIS TIME. I don't have a problem with reading an entire page of monologue if it's explaining why the entire thing is happening, or someone's thoughts or feelings, ideas or fears. It's meat on the bones, to me. While I love a good old shoot em up punch em in the face, I also like to see them sitting around after, beat to crap and talking about why they hated what just happened, etc etc. And as a (novice) writer, I understand that sometimes you have to set up a scene that's going to take place in another comic or page. While Rewind's talking about the fact there are no Decepticons or Autobots in the first few pages of LL2 seems wordy and boring to us, keep in mind we already know most of this because we read the preceeding comics, understand what's going on. But there will be people who are just jumping on and need to be brought up to speed, as well as refreshing the memories of others who may have been away a while. A good writer often needs monologue to make sure his/her audience is all on the same page (no pun intended!)

6. Javelin

Rodimus is kinda curvey.

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    He's_right_you_know.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'm sure he's a nice guy really, I just don't like his art.

9. Javelin

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. His artwork hurts my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    That's an appropriate description. I couldn't think of how to articulate it when I wrote my last post. Good input, thanks!

11. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the preview.

12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    The art is shit. There is no other way to say it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Quite true hmmm.....

14. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Going to go out on a limb here and predict that one of the 'of Twelves' is going to be a empurata'd Orion Pax or Megatron.

15. Javelin

Possibly, but from that one scene we have of them all around the table, they all seem rather thinnish. Megatron and Orion are point one percenters, big body types.

16. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We're almost definitely going to see Censere turn out to be Five-of-Twelve, the Enumerator - a synonym for 'census taker'.

• Like Like x 3
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You already have Rodimus.

I'll take Livio over Lawrence all day, any day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Javelin

Really? I find Livio's art so stark and empty and my eyes actually want to look away. It's the weirdest reaction I have ever had to a comic's artwork.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He's at least trying to do something. Most of the IDW stable are just substandard journeymen trying to ape what comic book artists were doing 30 years ago.

Ironically, I compare the reaction to Livio now to how a great many fans reacted to Bill Sienkiewicz was doing at Marvel when he gave up being a very successful and popular Neal Adams clone and got more experimental on things like Electra: Assassin and Daredevil: Love and War. He wanted to do something completely different to what everyone else was doing, and it wasn't for everyone.

[​IMG]

I mean, here's Kingpin in that book:

[​IMG]

He was attempting to create art. He was playing with completely different things... texture, mood, etc., which is also what Livio does. And that's not what a lot of comic readers want or are comfortable with. They only want the same boring pen and ink linework they are used to.

To be fair, Livio is nowhere near on Sienkiewicz's level. But at least he's trying stuff. I get way more sense of atmosphere and mood from his work than from almost anyone else IDW has put on Transformers.

20. AlienRadio

AlienRadio Avatar of Entropy

Yeah, when I first encountered Livio's art Sienkiewicz was the vibe I was getting. in fact, now that I think of it Compare Sienkiewicz's cover to Transformers No.1. Livio does not have Sienkiewicz's storytelling skills, but then He often seems to be doing work on extremely short timescales. I would like to see him be more inventive when it comes to page layout because many of my favourite work (like Tony Harrris' Starman Run) made excellent use of panel design, and I think Livio's work would look amazing with a more baroque page layout. In terms of tone It was excellent for portraying a sense of elsewhere, for the dead universe or ancient history.