Lost Light #14 (spoilers likely)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by The Madness, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Oh sure, the Scavengers are dead for real. Uh huh. Funny how their heads, torsos and limbs are all still intact and their expressions are relatively comical.

Also the cover preview on the next page kinda spoils their survival anyway, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

As much as I like the Scavengers, I really don't want it to be a fake out. I think if they're really dead, it'll really add some dramatic weight to the story.

I'm disappointed enough that Tailgate isn't dead.

That said, I'd be happy to see Nickel, Spinister and Fulcrum die. Growing up with Marvel UK, one of the few things Roberts did which I didn't like was change Spinister's character.

Nickel reminds me of that orange alien from the Force Awakens which I didn't like and I'd have much preferred Flywheels lived rather than Fulcrum. I liked the religious aspect Roberts added to Flywheels.

Like Prowl, Thunderwing and Sunstreaker, Scorponok is another character whose IDW portrayal I don't like. I hate seeing him as a one dimensional villain after growing up with his conflicted Marvel self.

Overall, I've enjoyed this and the previous 4 issues. The writing seems back on track and I'm enjoying seeing other characters in the spotlight rather than the Rod Squad. I still like Hot Rod, Magnus, Swerve and Whirl but the others have either gotten stale like Cyclonus or were unlikable from the start like Tailgate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, my fault. Never meant to imply Roberts didn’t care. In my post “editor who Roberts respected + understood/cared” meant “an editor who Roberts respected, and an editor who understood/cared about the continuity”. I’m sure Roberts cares quite a bit, I’ve seen on Twitter how much he’s bothered by mistakes showing up. :) 

4. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

They're not dead,
    Thank you. That's a monstrous error. I mean. I think. How long ago was aequitas built. It seems quite a while ago, but Roddy getting the magnificence more recent. So aequitas couldn't have been built to hide THAT...

Which makes current events just another payoff letdown.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

James was always quick to praise the "sister" title in interviews so he definitely doesn't cone across as someone not bothered.

Johns greatest strength was always editor plus he's the master of continuity. If you've ever read his movie stuff he did great work fixing that continuity. I highly recommend sine of those books

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I would prefer Barber as an editor. They could change writers for the other book after every arc. And present us different artists. But MTMTE/LL should be Roberts and mostly Milne. Sara Pitre-Doucher was also nice. I would love to see Sarah Stone again :(  What's with Guido Guidi? Or Josh Burcham?

7. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see Sarah Stone and hopefully she will be well enough to return to interiors

8. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I got the impression that the Aequitas trials were pretty late in the war, and Spotlight: Hot Rod was at an undetermined-point-mid-war. Doesn't matter though, because Spotlight: Doubledealer and Maximum Dinobots would both have to take place before the Magnificence is put under Aequitas.

Either way, who cares. At the time I thought it was a throwaway line about how Overlord was going to torture people without end, because he was looking for something that wasn't there. But even if he's wrong about when and why Aequitas was built, he's right that yes, at the time of LSotW, there was a secret underneath it, and that's pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Except at that point, the secret wasn’t underneath. It was somewhere else entirely.

So either there is a massive retcon, or Roberts is being sloppy again and we are all looking the other way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    How do you figure? At that point Grimlock's in custody and the Autobots have the Magnificence back after Revelation. LSotW takes place (or at least starts), if I'm not mistaken, mid-All Hail Megatron, which is after everything with the Magnificence (before what's going on now) is over.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    The problem is that they say that Aequitas was built OVER the Magnificence.

Which isn't possible because Hot Rod stashed it rather than bring it back. And Tarantulas was implied to be missing for centuries at the very least if not longer, and he built the thing.

• Like Like x 3
  12. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Overlord says it. He's wrong. What's the problem?

The way I read the scene at the time is that Overlord figured a guilt machine couldn't be the big secret of Garrus-9, so he guessed it must be designed to hide something. But he was wrong, and would just keep torturing without end because they could never give him what he wanted.

The way I read it now is that while Overlord was wrong about Aequitas being built to hide something, he was right that it was, in fact, hiding something.

"Overlord, while guessing based on his suspicions, got the exact order of events wrong" seems like a weird reason for folks to throw up their hats and go, "ANOTHER CONTINUITY BONER FROM ROBERTS, CHRIST WHAT A SLOPPY MESS."

EDIT: Looking at the new issue now to make sure I'm not being a dumbass, and yeah, there they specifically say that after the Magnificence was retrieved (presumably referring to Spotlight: Doubledealer) and before the start of LSotW, it was sent to Garrus-9 and hidden beneath the already-existing Aequitas.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  13. raindance773

LSotW occurred after AHM. Three years after, actually.

14. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I was under the impression that the opening, with Skyquake and Overlord, took place during AHM.

Still, during AHM, after AHM, either way it's after the Magnificence is sorted.

15. raindance773

That doesn’t make sense time wise. Spotlight: DD occurs right before Maximum Dinobots, which occurs right before AHM. One of Megatron’s first acts in the Surge was to attack Garrus-9.

The problem is that neither the Magnificence nor Grimlock were on G9 that long before AHM and Overlord’s arrival. So the Autobots hid it under Aequitas and then moved it immediately to Grimlock’s chest? Why? If was going to take Overlord 3+ years to break in, why not just leave it where it was?

That is why people get upset over sloppy writing.

16. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    The problem is that it wasn't hidden for very long?

Okay then.

17. DoctorFunnyAF

DoctorFunnyAF Active Member

BLARGLE LARGEL LARGEL LARGEL

Comic book = fun

Fun = anger?

????

This is why we can’t have good things

• Like Like x 5
  18. DoctorFunnyAF

DoctorFunnyAF Active Member

^just a joke guys

Hopefully we get these story issues worked out

• Like Like x 1
  19. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    In my day (you whippersnappers), story errors or inconsistencies were opportunities for further explanation down the line.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Since Roberts is a fan of the unreliable narrator trope should we really be taking Overlords word as gospel truth? Plus, ya know, the guy is a straight up sociopath who murdered hundreds just so daddy megs would notice him.

I really liked Nickel in this issue. She had some lovely moments where really drive home how much she cared cared about the DJD. Now, I'm no djd fan but they're all Nickel has known and it makes sense that she would miss them after all they did for her. But I'm really looking forward to her interacting more with the Scavengers because she's has a chance to meet some more rank and file Decepticons.