Lost Age LA-01 Battle Command Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by daimchoc, May 28, 2014.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's only a quick change gimmick toy, but by all means let's burn down the neighborhood in disgust.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know, this one is kind of cracking me up. And I'm a sucker for car-carrying trailer Transformers. Even one this bad, carrying a Bumblebee this bad. And the standing on his shoulders thing is even funnier.

I doubt I can justify the $70, but I will be in Japan when this gets released, so who knows. If all of the AOE Optimus figures so far have been terrible, this one at least has a kitschy sense of fun to it.

The wings really do look terrible, but whatever.

3. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Why can't they make these like RoTF leader Prime anymore? That thing looked pretty cool, it was complicated and didn't have much kibble. I guess they either don't want to make them too complicated or the budget doesn't allow for anything past shit. (That goes for pretty much everything I've seen bar MP since DoTM)

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hate to say it but this actually looks nice. Probably the first time this entire toyline they've made a nice looking AOE Optimus Prime toy.

I probably won't buy it but still.

5. prime0821

prime0821 leader

Looks better than and american version +it has a trailer

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a shame - if this thing didn't have such insane kibble it would probably be the best representation of the new AOE Optimus model.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That looks like crap.

Even if it had no backpack, the soft sculpt and skinny arms look awful. Ugh I really hope this isn't the Voyager.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Part of me wants the more complicated RotF-style just so we can have more accurate character representations and stuff. But another part of me isn't into that insane complexity of transformation.

I mean, if you look at RotF Leader Starscream, that is a toy that balances things almost perfectly. A beautiful representation, and the transformation is about manageable. RotF Leader Optimus is one of my favorite Transformers ever and looks great, but the transformation straddles the border of not being fun (imo). It's more of a nerve-racking chore to do than something I can enjoy. It can make me feel tense like I'm defusing a bomb, which isn't really what I'm into. And then something like DotM Leader Sentinel... I've transformed it once to fire truck, once back to robot, and I kind of doubt I'll ever transform it again in my lifetime. As much as I love the look of that figure, it's not fun AT ALL.

I'd like them to make the more-complex/better looking figures, just to have them, and for the collectors who only enjoy that kind of thing. But for me personally, complexity at the level of Fire Convoy or Galaxy Convoy is about my sweet spot. Something that looks good but that I can enjoy messing around with casually... and with no step in the transformation where I have to wonder if a piece is going to shift like it's supposed to, or snap off.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, this is part of the younger kids' line, along with the giant Grimlock, etc.
    I haven't looked too closely at the one-changers, but IIRC they are about deluxe scale, so this guy could be used with generations. I think I'll pass, though, and wait to see if a 3rd party makes a better trailer to go on the leader...

10. optimus1978

optimus1978 Member

This new toy line is utter crap!!!! I got the one step grimlock yesterday as a gift, very poor. Sad days ahead

11. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Personally, for me, one of the main aspects that I enjoy about Transformers is their transformation. I feel like a kid in wonderment whenever I encounter marvels of engineering like RoTF Prime. I just cannot get enough of that beautiful and intricate transformation that leaves you with immaculate looking vehicle and robot modes. Fresh out of the box, I simply adored learning how to transform it and analyzing the placement of each and every part and joint. Never blaming the toy for my own inability to transform it, I slowly but surely found ways and methods to manipulate the parts to make the transformation far easier and hassle-free than the instructions had me to believe.

In fact, the more complex a transformation, the more 'replay' value it has for me. Up till today, RoTF Optimus is one of the few figures that I constantly take down off the shelf to transform for fun, pose a bit and transform back. It is still engaging, interactive and enthralling. I transform it when I'm stressed, bored, or simply want to play. It's therapeutic. Right now, I've more than mastered the transformation, needing only a couple of minutes to execute a full conversion.

Lastly, for a collector who believes that screen accuracy is an essential quality of a good figure, RoTF OP once again satisfies that condition. One of the other ways in which I enjoy figures is to compare them to their on-screen counterparts and marvel at how all the parts line-up. The smoke stacks, the wheels on the legs, etc... For RoTF Prime, even its transformation scheme is pretty accurate, an example being the fact that the arms are formed from the hood of the truck (sorry, I frame-by-frame all the transformations). However, this thirst for accuracy also means that cheating leaves a bad taste in my mouth. While I cannot deny that Evasion Mode OP looks great and has a good transformation, the fake chest just kills it for me.

TLDR: Yes, I have been spoiled by RoTF OP. I have witnessed greatness and it is neigh impossible for me to be able to appreciate anything less. I want to see Transformers aspire to be something more.

I really do hope we see Masterpiece figures of the movie designs some time in the future. With the popularity of the RoTF OP mold (looking at its hundreds of re-releases), I can't see why a complex movie-design inspired figure can't be created again.

12. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just nice to see a blue AOE Prime *without* yellow windows and a yellow sword (although from seeing more movie previews, ok, I get the yellow sword Hasbro - you're trying to show us a sword somewhat on fire, but still).

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I haven't gotten any one-step toys. I've only gotten the Generation AoE toys, and I love them!

14. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    To each his own. Personally, I find AOE toys fun. And that was probably the theme of the toyline.

15. Killer Life

Killer Life Well-Known Member

Shut up the One Step Changers are a lot of fun to play with.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, obviously. That is probably true for 99% of us here. And it always has been, going all the way back to G1. The transformations were always fun. But they were always fun without needing the RotF-level complexity. The RiD/Car Robots transformations were fun, for example.

For me, it's the opposite. It's stress-INDUCING. I'm always worried about the tolerances and that a piece is going to break off. I can transform him, but I can never relax while I'm doing it.

I'm with you that I marvel at the engineering of RotF Leader Optimus. And I do love that figure. Again, it's one of my favorites ever produced. I just don't enjoy transforming it.

17. Richform4

Richform4 Trans and MLP fan =D

So Optimus does come with a trailer in the movie?

18. Ricochet

Ricochet The Nerve Hammer

News Credits:
    The article says that Optimus have a sound gimmick. put "Battle Command Available" figures(e.g. Bumblebee shown in the pic) on his back to speak some battle voices, depends on the faction of the figure.

19. iconbot

iconbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it Bumblebees turn to ride Optimus? These Autobots get into some kinky stuff!
    And the trailer is too short.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That puts the cheesiness so far over the top that now I almost have to buy it.