Heavy/Scratch: Lost Age BB (screen accurate non transforming)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by harrismonkey, Jul 17, 2014.

1. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Much like my other Battle Blades BB I posted a while back, this is me taking takara's recent painted version and finishing it by painting everything. The mods are very similar to mods I did on the original years ago, only I made some improvements.

This time around I completely removed the backpack. The wheels (and mounts) are from beast hunter Smokescreen. I also cut out the connectors that attach Smokescreen's hood to his forearm and mounted BB's doors on those giving me a look close to what it should be and a good deal of poseability with his wings.

Of course this is non transforming. But I've still got my other custom version if I want to transform him.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/987201-takara-battle-blades-bb.html

Attached Files:

2. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Looks cool. You got some really cool details in there.

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Nice job! Have you considered modding the legs and moving his tail lights up onto his back?

4. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Not positive if I'm up for it. I've been itching to start on my HA 67 Bee (unfortunately non transforming).

But if I did, has anyone done this successfully? If I removed the taillight section I'd expose a big empty space where there shouldn't be one. I'm curious if anyone's solved that issue? I wouldn't want the empty space and I'm not immediately sure what I'd fill it with.

On the plus side, battle blades effectively has one half of each shin- I have an idea how to fix this (with transplants from my original battle blades). If I messed with the tail lights I'd almost have to fix the shins also. :) 

We'll see. I'll have to think on this.

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I think savio did a pretty good job here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/313496-double-blaster-bumblebee.html

6. Transfan327

Transfan327 customizing amature

Looks beautiful. ever consider doing commitions?

7. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Thank you. I tried. :) 

Savio's blows my mind. That thing actually transforms... I wish I could do something like that.

He did sort of solve the problem. Apparently he just cut the actual lights out and otherwise left the bumper there (the bumper doesn't actually belong there- but who wants to deal with what's missing behind it?).

It's possible I may get motivated. We'll see. Honestly I'm more bothered/likely to address the missing shin if I go all out.

8. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Thank you. I'm flattered.

I'll send you a PM with my email if you want to discuss it further (my PM box is nearly full)- but here are my thoughts-

Short answer is I really just don't have time. In fact I sometimes buy customs from other customizers that I could probably pull off myself because I know I'll never get to it.

I have been abnormally prolific this summer. Generally I find time to do one or two customs a year and I've managed at least 6 so far this summer. That's partly because I ended up not doing grad school over the summer, and partly that I recently discovered Tamaya acrylics (I learned with oils requiring spray paint)- so I've been able to sit with my wife and paint at diner/tv where previously if I did it a custom it meant I'd have to set aside time to be in the garage to work.

So if you want to let me know what you have in mind, I'll promise to keep it in mind. But I wouldn't be able to formally commit to doing it or take any kind of payment unless I ended up finishing it.

Also, a lot of the best guys on here have ways of making paint in joints somewhat wear proof. (I keep hearing future is the way to go) Since I haven't really done much with that my work may be more prone to scratching and joint wear. I tend not to transform my customs after I finish them.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Savio's is a work of freaking art. It's insane in hand. I'meven finding ways to make it even more compact!! But this ins't a bad start. I am assuming that this no longer transforms, correct? Man you are ballsy to chop up this guy. I DO like the way you handled the doors, though!

10. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Thanks.

I bought two. The other that I only painted is linked in the first post. (pretty much same paint, but no cutting)

I actually did this with my original battle blades years ago. So that was practice. Working from that I made some improvements this time around. I'd always wanted to paint him, but didn't think I had any hope off doing the pin striping as well as the factory. When I saw takara had done that for me (and in gold!) I had to revisit this.

Actually, the forearms are off the original. Since Takara didn't paint these, I didn't see any reason to repeat the process when I could just pull those off the old one.