Loss of a pet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcflash81, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Arcflash81

Arcflash81 Well-Known Member

Ugh, in the most awful and freakish accident possible, I killed my own cat today when I backed out of my driveway. Something I had done thousands of times with no thought.

But somehow my lil guy Minion had either gotten into the engine or something. Something not typical of his stay with me at all to this point. He almost always laid on the front porch or was in his "spot" in my garage, he even had his own little access door he could come and go as he pleased. Whatever happened killed him instantly right there in front of me.

I can't figure it out. I was leaving, it was starting to sprinkle, so I turned the accessory drive on, rolled up all four windows, closed the sunroof, and had the radio on. Then I closed the garage door, which I was only parked 5 feet away from. Only then did I even start the car. And as always, I checked to make sure I had my phone and wallet with me before I even got out of park. So there was a good 30seconds of opportunity for him to hear things and flee. But he didn't.

I had no idea he was anywhere in the area, it just wasn't like him to be around the car like that. I feel like the absolute worst person on Earth tonight, can't even sleep. Just an awful rotten feeling, and so lonely at the same time. I keep looking around for him.

Poor little guy, I took pity on him when he showed up out of thin air a couple months ago, all thin and scraggly. Fed him all sorts of goodies for cats, I didn't know what cats like, so I bought him almost everything the pet store had for cats. And he just kinda stuck around and wormed his way into my no pet existence.

Ugh, I feel miserable for him and miss him. So much guilt, but everyone keeps telling me it was just an accident. That doesn't make it feel any less terrible to me at all though.

RIP Minion.

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Awwww... dude, so sorry .... we can't make you feel better--that'll take time, but we can share your grief.

:rip  Minion.

3. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    Sorry for your loss that's a horrible way to lose a pet I mean I've never lost a pet before so I couldn't tell you what to do other than talk to one of us if you need to

R.I.P.

4. Arcflash81

Thanks.

Sleep is coming very hard tonight.

Got a phone full of pictures we've been taking since he showed up. Just find myself sick to look at them, but drawn to at the same time. Very lonely feeling tonight. He kept me company during a difficult stretch here. My company I worked for for a long time, a family business owned by my brother in-law and sister, closed recently. And Minion showed up and just kinda helped me grieve through that mess. He kept me company while my girlfriend worked 12 hour night shifts and it was just me and him 5 or 6 nights a week.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I don't understand, did you roll over him or did the engine kill him? Either way, sorry to hear about that. Tis a burden of being a pet owner.

For future reference, cats LOVE vehicles. They sleep on the tires, the hood, under the car, and yes, the engine; because the engine gets hot and stays warm for some time after you turn your vehicle off. Garages are actually horrible places for your cats to be though.

Though now that you bought all those cat toys, and since the feeling of guilt is strong, you should go adopt two little kitties and give them the same love that you were developing for your minion.

6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I lost my oldest cat a couple months ago, but it was by natural causes.

I bring it up 'cause I know what you're going through and offer my condolences to you.

7. Arcflash81

To be honest, I don't even know for sure exactly how it happened. The car was parked outside, my garage is single car and filled with the remains of the closed business I mentioned. My neighbor and my dad saw him, I wouldn't go look. Neighbor thought it looked like the the serpentine belt got hold of him and that it was instant at least. I knew something terrible happened and I knew he was dead, but I couldn't look at the body. At that point I was about sick with shock.

8. Arcflash81

Thanks all.

I lost my dog Maggie 3 years ago to a stroke one night. Had her for 15 years ( since I was 14). Said I would never ever go through this again because that was so awful. And yet here I am again, except I feel so utterly responsible. Ugh, just sick to my stomach over it.

9. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry. I don't know what I would do if I lost my Luna like that.

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Don't beat yourself over it too much, bro. These things just happen. When I was around fifteen, I let my two dogs out one morning to pee. Instead of watching them and getting them back in the house, I went back to sleep. When I finally woke up to get them inside, I couldn't find them. Turns out they ran over to the railroad tracks and were snacking on a dead armadillo when a train passed, and killed them both.

I should have watched them better. I should...could have, done something better. It hurts, but the best way to make that hurt stop is keep caring for other pets and never let something like this prevent you from having another pet.

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prayers to you for your loss.

I've been there, way too many times then I would like.

12. Arcflash81

Oh wow, that would be very hard too. :rip  Thanks for sharing though. Exactly how I feel, should have, could have done something else had I known..

Right now I go from sad to just outright friggin anger. I stormed through the garage earlier and destroyed some stuff I wish I hadn't now, but I had to vent. It was eating me up

13. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awww... condolences.

14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I lost a cat to a freak accident too. I don't like thinking about it. So I understand completely.

RIP lil Minion. At least he had a good couple of months with you.

15. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

It wasn't my pet but I did back over a chipmunk in the driveway last summer. I felt pretty bad about and buried him on the back hill.

My Mom told me about a kitten we had in Philadelphia, while doing laundry I threw a fit (I was 1 or 2 @ the time) because I wanted to go for a walk in the stroller. She put the sheets in the dryer and unfortunately the kitten, too, and when we came back and pulled the sheets out of the dryer and they were all bloody. She started screaming the house down and the Marine and his wife had to come from next door to calm me and my Mom, clean the dryer, get rid of the sheets. I don't remember any of it but I do know growing up our cats were never allowed near the dryer not even to lay on top, and it's something I practice as well too.

I subscribe to a lot of kitty stuff on FB, no big surprise there esp. after looking at my sig., but one of the things you can do is be proactive about cats and cars from here on out. Tap the hood a couple of times and maybe a toot on the horn are just a couple of hints that circulate around.

I can only imagine the guilt your feeling, I know its tough but you have to forgive yourself it was accident and the guilt will fade, remember the good times, and eventually peace will come.

Kindest regards

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That sucks dude.

17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I was the same way when Sammie (the unhinged psycho Senegal I mentioned in the life rant section a couple months ago) passed.......thank God we still have Turquoise (a Meyers Parrot)....... The pain stays for a while

18. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Time will help. I've gotten used to my pets just lounging around, but I really shouldn't take them for granted. The thought of something happening to them or something happening to me is upsetting.

19. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    I can't even imagine the guilt. I'm sorry man. Wherever your cat is, I'm sure he understands. It really was an accident. Just....cherish the memories. Try to get your mind off of him for a bit; it'll heal over time.

RIP Minion :rip 

20. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know it's hard to hear but it really wasn't your fault.
    You gave him several months of a good life he was lucky to have you.