Losing Interest

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OldsCut78, Dec 29, 2008.

1. zbrillante

zbrillante i love pigs

i lost interest in the movie series after watching the awesomest movie ever(star trek) and after reading the adaptation. but i still have interest in animated.

2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Yep, in fact my interest in TFs is probably at an all time low since I started collecting again in 1998/1999. About 3-4 years ago I sold all my BTs, Alts, and every e-hobby and Japanese convention exclusive... and I had them all too. The worse part was not actually selling them and not having them, but the thinking about selling and finally coming to that decision. I guess for me more of the fun is about the "hunt" than the actual "capture" of the toy.

Also and I'm not getting old by any means, but as you do get older you do think about your mortality a bit more. Problem with having thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars worth of toys is that I am the only one in my family that knows what each and every piece of my collection is worth. I mean I don't dwell on death, or anything like that. But if something would happen to me, and it could (even a better chance since I'm in the military). Then my wife and kids are left with $20,000+ worth of toys/collectibles that they have no idea what to do with.

And like I said it's not having the toy I find the most fun, but chasing it down and getting it for a good price. This was the same thing when I was big into getting back-issues of comic books and when I was playing Magic 15 years ago.

3. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

My interest regularly waxes and wanes. I haven't seriously collected the toys in a long time (Beast Wars was the only line where I had that "MUST BUY THEM ALL" mentality), I don't have a lot of room so there's nowhere to put them. And it costs so much. I watched all the shows up to Armada, then lost interest and didn't watch the next couple years of shows, but I really love(d) TF Animated.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yes. I took a LOOOOONG fucking break during the Unicron Trilogy.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I stopped actively trying to collect every figure in a line with the 07 movie. Movie aesthetic is usually not for me. That's as close as I've ever come though, I've been a pretty rabid TF fan since childhood

6. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

From around 1992 to 2006 or so. Then, when the Bay movies come out, I question if I should feel guilty for buying these toys that have allowed these abominations to exist at all.

7. dendariiprime

dendariiprime Nemesis Prime's Bitch

i stopped being a completeist any more because it's so rare for a whole line to be great. so, i stick to what rock my socks off.

8. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

My interest will be waning for a little bit while the movie line and pretty much nothing else is on the shelves. It will come back when Universe does.

9. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

Not losing interest, but running out of things that I need. Which is great. All I need to do is keep up with new products, only the ones I want.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i just need a couple mps and i'm caught up to the series i collect, can focus on my new wife for a while, then when she wants to get back into it (or when universe/classics comes back) we'll go from there

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I thought with Bot Con getting closer maybe I could work a little more interest, but with all the stuff I like either canceled or on hold it's just so hard to get excited about breaking Bot Con news and pictures when I've got a fear it will all be movie related.

Even the movie itself is feeling more like something I have to do as fan obligation than something I'm excited about.

Maybe it will be shorter lack of interest period than some of those in the past once we get Universe going again, some Robot Heroes that aren't movie related, or maybe a look at whatever sort of cartoon we get next. I know the period of blah about what's coming out will not last forever, but some days it does sort feel that way.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, I'm only interested in G1 reissues and Classics/Henkei. I've lost interested in animated. Maybe I might pick up a few TF movie toys just a the movie appearance bots and cons.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've taken two breaks from TFs, and emerged from them feeling much more positive about things. I recommend it whenever your interest wanes.

1986 through 2000
    More of a growing out of them, really. Went to high school, went to college college, saw BW on the shelf and thought it was a disgrace (now among my favorites, of course). Caught some of BM on tv and RiD on the shelves pulled me back in.

I disliked Animated so much, I had to just remove myself from everything for a while. Caught up on my Brave toys, collected the Iron Man 6" movie line, etc... now I'm itching for the movie line.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sold all of A/E/C, Universe and Classics and passed Animated completely. Sticking to G1 (original and reissue) and the movie toys. Try focusing your collection. It will that feeling of 'gotta get them all' off of your chest. When you do, it's refreshing.

15. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

I had to take a step back myself last year. Kinda didn't know what I wanted out of my collection. Then Botcon came and went, and I was back in. Buuut, I have since then decided to do only Cls and Henkei (depending on paint apps), and exclusives to that line. I'm not gonna do anymore G1 encores or reissues, never got into Animated toys (liked, them, but didn't want to collect another line), and very much dislike the movie toys. I also just moved and during my packing up, realized that I have a lot of figures that I just don't even want to display. I'd sell them at this year's con, but that would mean more luggage. If the con is closer to the east next year, I'm dumping as much as I can there.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Never collected anything then G1 stuff since I cleared all A/E/Cand Rid a few years back. I love TFs and in a perfect world I would own everything. But G1 is closest at hearth but its getting freakingly difficult to find MIB stuff from the HM and so on era.

lose intrest in G1, never it is such a big part of me it would be like splitting the body in half

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

So did I, now it's way over 20 years later. I don't think I'll ever lose interest in Transformers.

18. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Honestly, if I never bought any more Transformers and still had the collection I have now, I would be okay. I've collected the Classics/Universe line (all except a few of the Voyager and Mini-Con repaints that I didn't really care for) and I'm happier with them than any other line I ever collected, including G1. Frankly, if my Armada or RiD or Cybertron bots burned up in a fire tomorrow, I wouldn't be terribly sad. (I would miss them, but I'd get over it.) Second would probably be my G1 toys, but I don't collect those as actively as I used to.

I guess it pays to have other hobbies. When I do occasionally get bored with TFs, I can always concentrate on my music collection. And then when I'm ready, I can come back.

19. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Revenge of the Fallen has brought back my interest. I will see it again soon.

20. newguy

newguy i

Legos? say goodbye to every penny