Lorenzo says BB isn't a reboot.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Markatron, Dec 10, 2018.

1. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Paramount is still proceeding cautiously in terms of that. Now, if Bee does HUGE box office, like the previous films, then they will almost definitely get cocky again.
    They need someone (like me! lol) to guide the franchise. Knight doesn't look like he wants to play that role, he's very keen on getting back to LAIKA. Until then...Lorenzo will play that role as head producer. I haven't heard much that signifies that Paramount is considering removing him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's because Lorenzo and Bay are still involved.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    They can say whatever the hell they want. If this movie does well in theaters, Paramount will probably follow Knight's direction and the path he laid out from Bumblebee. Maybe past events from Bayverse movies will be referenced or alluded to but in the 2020's, I don't think people will care if strict adherence to Bayverse movies is tossed aside.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    To me it showed an unwillingness to give up the past. I felt tricked at that moment, that it was too much to ask to see Bee next to a flatnosed red truck as a Beetle.

That Bay's claws are more permanent than the original fiction.

That moment he changed into the Camero, I felt swindled. I heard Bay's laughter. "Haha took you for a ride" The mask pulled off, the true face exposed.

The following scene was hollow because of it.

Now it was just placating us. The real Prime hidden in shadow.

It's true audience, Bay fans.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is absolutely no way a normal adult person can be writing this with a straight face. You're taking the piss right? This is a parody of fanboyism right?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Eh, I think you're stretching it a bit. I'm pretty sure it's from the original ending when it used to be a prequel and didn't feel like reshooting the scene. It'd be expensive to get the shot on the bridge again. Either way, all he did was scan the Camaro; he still ended up looking like Tavis' bot mode. If they truly wanted to appeal exclusively to the Bayverse fans, he'd look like how he did in the '07 film.

For all we know, he may end up scanning an updated Beetle in the sequel.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I would be more optimistic without Lorenzo clearly scared to death of losing Bayfans, the same guy who didn't give two flips about us when he was reinventing Transformers and Knight, the generations fan, is now out of the picture.

The wolves are guarding the hen house.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

The thing is, I don't live in the past. I love G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, the original Bayverse trilogy, Animated, Age of Extinction, etc., but I don't want to see future movies adhere too closely to any of those. Inspiration? Sure. Sequels that further the story of those pieces of fiction, whether in film form, cartoons, or comics? That would be fine in some instances. I'd love to see an updated cartoon sequel to G1 with more of the later G1 characters and concepts and brand new characters.

But it's not by rehashing previous fiction that fans already love due to nostalgia that you get the best fiction, but by pushing the margins, whether by a little bit or by a lot. And "best" in Transformers is a much narrower margin than many fans like to pretend. Every piece of Transformers fiction ever created is television, comic, or cinematic fast food. Not that there's anything wrong with it...it's even part of the charm in many, if not most, cases. The Transformers fiction that vocal fans usually complain about usually isn't much worse than the stuff the same people usually praise; sometimes the hated fiction is of the same quality, or even slightly better in some cases. It's just that the hated Transformers fiction is the stuff that's less safe and comfortable for the most part.

Nor am I saying there can't be similarities in some aspects. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the occasional retelling. But at times, it's also important to step out of the fandom comfort zones and into the wilderness.

So yeah, I'd much rather get more in the way of novel but slightly better Transformers films that split the fandom in half rather than safe, fan-pleasing films that just rehash the favorite things of fans from past fiction. Diversity is the spice of life, especially when it comes to opinions. Division is not a thing to be feared or avoided, but a necessary part of existence. The key is to just to accept the differences with grace.

9. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    As a matter of fact, I do.

It's nothing personnel nor I heard any trouble brewing up between Knight and Paramount. When he left Laika to direct Bumblebee, two projects went on hold. One was half way through (The Missing Link) and the other hasn't even started. Laika can't complete the work without him. IF he's returning, he'll come back only after completing the two projects for Laika.

• Like Like x 6
  10. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    You mean the last 5? :eek: 

Zing! :p 

• Like Like x 2
  11. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Banned

News Credits:
    somebody from paramount please say "you're fired" to dis Lorenzo.... :mad: :mad: :mad: 

• Like Like x 5
  12. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I'd be happy to accept change, I just want one good movie about THE Optimus Prime, not Bay's Optimus, and then do whatever.

I'm not opposed to change, but don't take a black and gray bot with a dog face and call it Ironhide. That's not change that's name slapping, and it's insulting.

Sure let's see some pretender stuff, some Beastwars stuff, I'm not opposed. But I think it should look and act something like the fiction it comes from.

Or

Just do a new franchise and do whatever the hell you want.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am disappointed when he said that he does not like Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

There's nothing insulting about name slapping, or anything in the Bay movies, or anything in the Transformers brand. Fans don't have to like any of those things. It's fine for fans to dislike name slaps, but it's not the same thing as insulting. Especially when just about every other big budget action franchise based on toys, comics, cartoons, or popular fiction has plenty of characters that can be called name slaps. MCU, DC, LotR, X-Men, etc. all have characters that are just name slaps.

15. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He gave good reasoning though. In many ways, live-action Unicron is just too big. Closest we got to the 1986 movie was when Cybertron started destroying Earth. It'd have to be pulled off really well to work. Which isn't really a thing you can expect of the people handling the franchise...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to any movie.

But if they stick to the right plan, this isn't a bad thing at all.
    While the movies are being re-looked into, this isn't a "screw up". Like I've been trying to tell you for a bit now, nothing is set in stone until a finished product goes out to the public.

That's kind of out of line. What you blame him for isn't his fault. Sometimes the powers that be make everything far more difficult than it needs to be. But in this case, it's worth it.

Though if they stick to what they should be doing. Some better stuff came up. They want to explore options for now. And depending on how other talks are going, we might see some even better stuff come out of that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Imagine him talking to customer service about his phone :

Mr. Lorenzo your updates aren’t working because you’re not rebooting your phone after the updates.

“What is reboot! I don’t like that word , WHAT DOES IT MEAN!”

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    He was partially responsible for at least 3-4 really bad films. He richly deserves every bit of criticism.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

Unicron doesn't have to be BIG... i dont understand why this is always the reason hes not done.

in fact they already DID the "Unicron" story basis with the last knight itself, with Cybertron taking Unicron's place.

infact every time Unicron shows up hes always handled mostly the same way. just stick to that same formula! Armada and Prime are perfect examples. hes a big nearly dormant object that the heros need to go INSIDE of to destroy, but Unicron himself interacts with and fights the main characters through proxies (sidesways, the unicron stone golems) and prime eve more so in the case of predacons rising where he was actually made small because he took megatron's body.

dont say you dont like and cant do Unicron because hes "too big" its not like hes ever truly interacted with on that scale anyway, he ALWAYS has some kind of smaller proxy, or is just a mindless giant robot that destroys stuff or floats around doing not much of anything.

his bigness should be treated like a disaster movie, not a "character" and look how many disaster movies there are. Unicron can be done right and easily while not skimping out on size, or character.

• Like Like x 1
  20. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fear for the "big" near "the next Transformers movie" that's the mindset in which RotF was created, if this movie shows something it's that a contained and clear story is what we need and you don't need 250 milion dollars to make it... keep this man away from this franchise PLEASE!!!!!

• Like Like x 3