Lorenzo di Bonaventura Talks About The Transformers Live Action Movie Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    It would explain so fucking much.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Critizes marketing campaign then talks about its success, got it, LOL.

Di Bonaventura is the same guy that tried implying Bumblebee was tied to Bayverse and that Snake Eyes Origins might tie into the 1st 2 Joe movies.

He’s had his 10 years and I think the teams working on the movies know he won’t stay out of the past so just let him say what he wants.

• Like Like x 13
  3. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper green

News Credits:
    I know that I just choose to ignore him because he won't fucking shut up for more than 2 years

• Like Like x 2
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Not that it'll matter much...but I feel like, as a fandom, we need to proactively start pushing back against Lorenzo. After watching Snake Eyes, an origin movie about a character who is mute, never reveals his face Mando-like and is a trained ninja-commando - and then doesn't address ANY of those things, it's clear Hasbro does not care even 1% about the representations of its franchises on film - and it all can be traced back to one man...well, two actually - and one of them is surprisingly not named Michael Bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think what he said was just to balance out the shade he was casting on the Bumblebee movie since he was less involved and still wanted to take a shot at it without being outright petty.

Might be best to do what the rest of the crew(including the actors) do and just ignore what he says.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It's interesting he has never explained why Travis Knight didn't get brought back if Bumblebee was successful (even in his opinion). Considering he mentioned he hated the marketing for the film, I feel like there was some internal friction. I bet he wasn't too happy with the whole "reboot" thing. It would be super disappointing to learn if Travis wasn't even asked...

• Like Like x 6
  7. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Pffft!
    That's like claiming that half of the Star Wars fandom is getting sick of the Empire or the Force (A franchise that's older than G1 mind you).

A Sunbow G1 continuation done right (no Bumblebee or Windblade taking up every episode). Would be spectacular. Granted no one's forcing you to watch just like I have no plans of ever watching a Live action Paramount TF film again.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Bumblebee was a fluke

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    and it was awesome!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    This guy is a loser who hopefully will have nothing to do with this franchise after this next hot mess they threw together AGAIN without caring about what TransFormers is. Literally everything we have learned about this new film sounds like they haven't learned a thing at all. The continuity needed rebooted, period.

• Like Like x 4
  11. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I concur. It's easy to say "well, you still have all of your comics and cartoons so be happy". But G1 fans are STILL waiting for their proper live-action movie. Once that happens, if they want to go a different direction, more power to them. Until then, we're living under the unwritten rule that doing a G1 movie is somehow unpopular and wouldn't be supported...so we're all supposed to just shut up and put up.

Bumblebee was the closest we've gotten and the CGI was middling at best for the bit part we did get. I forgive it because the movie was well done otherwise - but that doesn't mean I HAVE to give Lorenzo a pass to shit on the franchise time and again. Look no further than "Mirage is a Porsche" to understand where this is all going...

• Like Like x 6
  12. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

I love this guy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    What's funny about the Mirage/Porsche situation is that it mirrors Lorenzo almost mocking the uproar about Prime having flames from the original film.

At the end of the day, the flames thing was the least of the problems with Transformers 2007 itself, which I fear will happen again with ROTB where Mirage simply having an alt. mode better suited for another character entirely is going to pale in comparison to far stupider bullshit.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the interview is discussing Snake Eyes, but after the middling box office and tepid response, I doubt we'll be seeing a sequel to that movie. The rest of the interview is only a smattering of references to the TF movies he's produced, which is disappointing but at least it's something.

15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Understand that I get why Mirage can't have an F1 racer alt mode if he's going to be driving down the street in disguise.

But it's a Porsche. It's silver, just like 2007 Jazz and its the right model for the car for 1984 Jazz. It can homage two things at once. It's perfect! but no...that's Mirage!
    :banghead: 

• Like Like x 4
  16. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At this point just have the Joe's appear as the human allies in the Transformers movies and then give them their own spin-off from that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    No I totally get it and am in agreement, the car is just perfect for Jazz. It just feels like arbitrary alt. mode assignment much in the way of the bayfilms, which is a real problem considering where that could (and at this rate is likely) lead.

• Like Like x 3
  18. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    We...had that in 2007. Why it wasn't formally pursued instead of RoC, we'll never know.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that's because the soldiers weren't called G.I. Joe, they were just average soldiers in the Middle East that got attacked by Decepticons but they survived thanks to heavy weaponry and help from the Autobots.

20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was a much better interview than the one he gave the other day. I really don't see anything too bad or outrageous here. I do find it odd that he thought Bumblebee's marketing campaign was too soft. His comparison to an animated movie is interesting, considering a lot of people compared the first trailer (positively) to a Pixar movie.

I personally thought the marketing was a bit slow at first (I feel like they should have released some art/renders of Bee's design before the trailer hit...the only thing we really had before June was that blurry leaked box art of Bee's design). I'm also a bit surprised they didn't play up the '80s angle more, with more songs in the trailers and whatnot. But I thought it was a solid marketing campaign overall. The trailers reflected the movie pretty well...there's really not that much action in the movie.

• Like Like x 1