Lorenzo di Bonaventura Talks About The Transformers Live Action Movie Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic happened and almost the entire fandom was in uproar about it.

Transformers had been about change and new interpretations and designs before G1 even ended or Beast Wars even began. And so far the entire fandom doesn't seem that bothered about what's being discussed here.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Or that fact that the Staff here at that time had to use ALL of our Pull with Hasbro to get Cullen, Bay and that Hack didn't want him. They also didn't want Optiumus to REMOTELY look like Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly doubt this forum had anything to do with his hiring. And Bay seemed to have been impressed by Cullen, literally why he was hired despite Lorenzo sabotaging the audition.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    wait 5 movies of bayverse isn't enough but "soundwave and shockwave were on screen for 2 seconds" counts as a G1 movie? lol

• Like Like x 4
  5. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Fact pal, I was an Admin here at the time

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No interest in the rest of your post, but this is something I sincerely doubt is true. I have friends and relatives who have absolutely never given a flying shit about Star Wars who got into the mandalorian anyway, all of the references and """"legacy"""" matter absolutely zero to why they enjoy it, since they had no value to them. For the same reason that nowadays my father knows who Thanos is but could not remotely give a shit about how accurate or not he was to a comic book he never read.

The content is selling because it is well made and it is well advertised, not because it had a 3D Luke Skywalker, which is what the person you are replying to meant. It is absurd to pretend otherwise, do you think that the kids who were buying heaps of Prequel merch back in the day cared about the nods to movies they had never seen? Do you think the heap of kids who bought toys of the previous Transformers movies and series were telling their parents "Just to be clear mom, I hate that Ironhide is not a man composed out of red rectangles, I am buying his toy out of spite alone" ?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, let's see if ROTB, which will feature, as stated by the director, G1 Optimus Prime voiced by Peter Cullen as "the main character" (their words), will satisfy this for you. I hope that it does!

The Beast Wars characters are literally showing up in this upcoming movie for the first time, so those fans were waiting too. Why can't a movie make all kinds of fans happy, like ROTB might very well do with G1 AND Beast Wars?

"Good" is not dependent on your totally arbitrary definition of "honoring a legacy", and vice versa.

Because the Mandalorian is very good! It's enjoyable, it's well-written, well-filmed, and well-acted! And it was good long before CGI Luke Skywalker showed up! It is both incorporating iconic parts and characters of the franchise in smart ways AND bringing something new to the table. It is not just retreading old ground.

I would like you to elaborate on this statement. It's good that the toylines are now as G1 as possible too? Are you not happy with the fact that Kingdom saw BW figures join the line?

I really don't think this "us vs. them" mentality helps anyone in the long run. All of us should be united in the desire for good content.

I am not trying to argue that a "G1 movie" (however you are defining that, I'm still unclear) could or could not be better than a Bay movie, I'm arguing that it is not the way you produce a good movie.

You got your live action G1 movie and you are getting another one next year. I should add that it is absolutely fine to want MORE of the relatively short Cybertron scene from BB, and if the movies continue down this path you most likely will get that.

No, because it's one thing if fans of a particular incarnation of a character are not a fan of a redesign, but it's another when literally the entire movie-going public revolted in unison to what the Sonic design looked like. The Sonic fans were absolutely vocal, but it was also clear that that design was not going to fly for anyone, not just the fans.

I say this as someone who likes the Bay Optimus design, and likes the BB Optimus design. I like them both, and I'm happy to see the latter show up again in ROTB. And that's something that checks the box of looking like G1, satisfying those fans, and being a cohesive, strong design that most moviegoers can identify with. Great!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure pal, but just because when happened to get hired doesn’t mean it was a result of you.

9. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    "Fine. Whatever makes you a happy Decepticon" :crazy: 

Never said it was "Me" BTW, It was the Staff and Ultimately Aaron Archer

• Like Like x 2
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    You do know we have a guy on the news staff who is very well embedded in them movie industry, right?

I mean, this forum largely is the sole reason that Erector, a complete and absolute nobody character whose most promiment thing is that his name can be taken as a dirty joke, ended up making the finalists list in the second year of the Transformers Hall of Fame.

Back then, Hasbro paid a lot more attention to what the fans wanted than they do now. Heck, the fans got a last minute alteration to the final Megatron head design for the first film and you can look that up - what the change actually was I couldn't tell you but it happened.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Don't confuse the Kiddo that came in when Last Knight came out with the facts :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I can! In fact anybody can by just looking at almost any given TF07 Megatron toy, especially the Leader:

upload_2021-7-29_14-59-38.png

This was the original head, with its nondescript face and weird forehead plate that doesn't fit common design conventions. It was replaced after backlash with the one we got which is more traditional and almost crown-like:

upload_2021-7-29_14-59-53.png

I actually still really like 07 Leader Megs, blue and pink and everything. I recently had the option to get either it or the Premium deco for the same price, but went with the original. Those colours are neat and the toy is so huge and chunky.

EDIT: Here's an actual concept art piece showing the change. Even this would be amended slightly: originally he would have a battle mode head like Prime, Bee, Blackout and Jazz, only for the gimmick to be dropped and the final battle mode to just become his standard head.

upload_2021-7-29_15-4-58.png

• Like Like x 6
  13. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not a Snake Eyes origin movie...it's a Storm Shadow one. Who helped green light this script? Who got the director? Who cut corners to keep the film on budget?

My bologna has a first name. It's L-O-R-E-N-Z-O.
    [/QUOTE]
    About the Snake Eyes movie, they changed a lot of basic, yet significant details of Snake Eye's story and his clan, as well their relationships to each other. (Even Storm Shadow's origin was changed ).

People wanted to see a live action version of a certain well-known origin story in more detail than it had in other movies, but it turned out to be something else entirely. A lot of stuff was omitted and changed, and obviously, there are the obvious questions that haven't yet been answered.

I guess we'll have to wait for (Talking) Snake Eyes 2, and possibly (Talking) Snake Eyes 3 (With Lips).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Dear fucking god no, no lips. Not again..!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I’m not aware of anyone’s ties to Hasbro or movie executives because usually they stay extremely silent or tell you not ask. I haven’t been on here since I was a child, so I’m not an expert.
    Oh fuck off with that shit mate. Is you’re only retort to call anyone who doesn’t immediately take your word for it a Kiddo? Yeah I came in during TLK, so what? I fucking hate that movie. My profile picture what you basing your shitty retort on?

• Like Like x 4
  16. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    And I guess it struck a nerve......:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  17. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's great! I'm glad they were able to enjoy legacy media thanks to great storytelling. But you can't tell me that The Mandalorian would be nearly AS successful if he was wearing pink pajamas and fought with a wet noodle? I mean, it would be entertaining...but the great storytelling came OUT of understanding the lore and writing around it, not despite it. How is that not getting through some people's skulls?

That is the definition of a "bone". The fact that you don't understand it means I'm talking to a brick wall and just want status quo TransRobotGuys in the movies. You've had TransRobotGuys. Go watch it.

It does both and it does it well. Our problem for us fans since 1984 is that there has been only about ten minutes of old ground treading over 6 films. Luke was the cherry on the sundae. But they took storylines from Clone Wars and expanded on Mandalorian lore to bring about a masterpiece.

So far, we've mostly gotten good transforming metal chunks fight bad transforming metal chunks as our "lore diving".

LORENZO: "Oh, yeah, Optimus was a flat-nosed truck voiced by Cullen. Here you go, are you happy now, little '84 fan?"

Patronizing bull shit.

But that's exactly what you are saying.

In the end, this is you:
    Then go watch your Bay movies. Bye.

• Like Like x 5
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I think it's more a combination of your generally flippant attitude in response to his information and the fact that Shin-Gouki is literally twenty years older than you.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well he certainly didn’t make himself seem any more credible than anyone else on here by just saying “I was an admin so it’s true” and then calling me kid. When he actually starts giving some sort of evidence, I’ll be more inclined to listen.

Burnout at least responded with something other than “haha you joined during TLK lolz”.

• Like Like x 2