Lorenzo di Bonaventura Talks About The Transformers Live Action Movie Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very fair, and I mostly agree, I was mostly using the absence as a devil's advocate argument.

I do think we are in a place where more names in Transformers media have fixed meaning than they did in the past. You're not going to see names like Ironhide or Ratchet or Bulkhead used at random or for just loose visual fits. You won't see a character like Energon Ironhide bear that name again. If there's an Ironhide, he's going to be a gruff veteran Autobot truck, and if there's a Ratchet, he's going to be an Autobot medic that turns into some sort of emergency vehicle. Ironically the Bay movies helped contribute to this name standardization. The details can and should vary, though, and give us different but beloved versions of the characters like Prime Ratchet and movie Jetfire.

I guess what G1 mostly contributed that is worth preserving are these loose character archetypes (and some definitive characters). But I don't think other Transformers media needs to be beholden to it, and my point about Bumblebee and the like not showing up for a long time is that the other series didn't feel the need to delve into that well and simply created brand new characters, all of which are valid. And that's something I want to continue to see happen. If Ratchet is used in every TF series then we probably don't get Armada Red Alert.

2. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

News Credits:
    I know. But well, he didn't say any shit here. I doubt this guy has all the power everyone has been afraid of

3. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i'd hate it if they rehashed the autobot cars all the time too. or if they were all incredibly fleshed out in g1 and 'needed' to be again. but i don't see why wanting properly done versions of classic characters with memorable personalities who were treated as disposable before to be given the spotlight and make a proper name for themselves in live action is seen as being a geewunner.

hell, 90% of the movie forum tends to be talking about A) movie characters who we don't see anymore or B) what ideas from previous series' people want in the movies, so it's not even like the fandom is as creative as they think. lorenzo's playing 4D chess here, he said shit like "more dinobots and megatron backstory in TLK" and then people ate it up and none of that happened. but it makes sense, because it's not creative to believe what you're told.

and again - i can't stress this enough - this is not about mirage being a porsche. like, at all.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The problem is that he shouldn't have as much power as he does, but given the way he always talks and what reality has proven to be, it's undeniable he's got more leverage than he deserves and it's to nobody's benefit.

Only with Transformers will you get a significant portion of the fanbase who wants nothing to do with the original material...

• Like Like x 3
  5. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

News Credits:
    Maybe it's bcs during the first 20 years of the franchise the original material wasn't used AND IT CHANGED CONSTANTLY. Damn, if anyone here considers itself a Transformers fan you should know this franchise is about change, and not about getting stuck in the same thing forever

6. TheTornSideswipeFan

TheTornSideswipeFan Well-Known Member

That's fair, I don't mind seeing other faces in lieu of the other members of the cast. While I know it would be highly unlikely for them to focus on a dedicated series/toyline without using Optimus at all (Though it has been done to fine enough effect in MTMTE/Lost Light), I would like to see them use other characters rather than keep themselves in a self-imposed vicegrip by constantly repackaging the same characters over and over. I'd love to see stuff like the Unicron Trilogy, the Master Trilogy and stuff that does try to do something with the franchise outside of Optimus versus Megatron in a war setting but again.

Certain characters will likely never see their name used like they were again (Though some characters will inevitably lock horns like Beast Wars Rampage and the Predaking limb Rampage), and while some names are gonna be locked to certain characters for forever (like Optimus and Bumblebee now that Hasbro has seen reason to make sure the name for the latter never gets out of their copyright), it would be nice to see them try new things or do what they did before. I loved Lost Light for focusing on characters that would normally never get the same love other characters in the franchise do, like Chromedome, Rewind or Tailgate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Because everything he touches turns to shit *Glares at Snake-Eyes' 13 Million Opening Weekend*

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *looks around at the world*

Yeah, he's definitely the only reason Snake Eyes underperformed.

9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? For the first ten it was nothing but G1 - in case you forgot that Beast Wars is within G1 continuity. Or that G2 happened in the early 90s.

And it's hilarious to decry about 'not getting stuck in the same thing forever' when that is literally that happened with Bayverse which lasted for over ten years. Always a double standard when it comes to things that Bayverse is conveniently 'exempted' from having to actually adhere to since it lasted longer than the original run of G1 itself.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Look, we all know that things are a little hectic still due to certain things but I don't like how the cough-cough is becoming the go-to excuse for a film not doing well.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Plenty of movies have managed to perform well in the last two years. Snake-Eyes bombed because it sucked and literally did not have Snake-Eyes as people know him.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    and i kind of get it cuz it's not like i'm trying to champion sunbow and its execution as a quality cartoon, just saying G1 is the main well to pull from because, well, transformers hasn't ridden on cuz G1 didn't make an impression. the cartoon had a giant cast that got like, 2 memorable lines at best, but between the marvel comics that lasted until the 90's and had a ton of otherwise now-overused but under-developed characters like shockwave, ratchet, and starscream the best characterizations of their careers as brand icons. the cartoon let te autobot cars at least get voices and some decent personality to them, even if they were little more than a blob in some episodes.

there's a wealth of characters and concepts to pull from, and they can throw in AEC and prime homages all they want within balance, but why make a live action transformers and not only not at least pull from the derth of existing lore, but not pull from the original incarnation and branch out from there?

13. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can look at the fact that "GI Joe has been a cold dying brand for decades now and this movie never ever ever had a chance of performing well. ever. it was a waste of time to even make it. it is embarrasing to pretend it would have made more money if it were more accurate to a source material that is clearly not popular enough to support an ongoing merchandise line outside of niches" too.
    I'm sure Snake Eyes is shit, but it's silly to act like it bombed because it wasn't ''true to da comix.''

• Like Like x 1
  14. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Well it’s one factor for a film underperforming. But not the whole picture. But Snake Eyes Bombed because well it’s not good.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Anybody who dares dream of another GI Joe movie being made best hope the pandemic is the excuse used to explain to the higher ups as to why the movie underperformed, otherwise they’ll see it as a dead franchise, again.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Oof, I guess so. :/

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hoffman

News Credits:
    I wonder how many people going on about how terrible Snake Eyes is actually watched it.

And how many of those went in just to justify their hatred.

18. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Paramount really needs to start making sure their films are actually well made. They were almost on the brink a few years back. They really need to get their act together.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Dude, Snake Eyes doesn't even wear the suit until the literal last second of the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hoffman

News Credits:
    And? That determines the quality of the movie?

• Like Like x 1