Lorenzo di Bonaventura says working on sequel(s) to The Last Knight & Bumblebee.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Mar 15, 2019.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Lorenzo Di Bonaventura says a lot of stuff.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. I wasn't huge on The Last Knight, but I still want to see the story through, which will require just one more film.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's pretty much how I feel about it. It's like Pirates of Dark Water and D&D all over again...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With John Barber as a writer. It could last about twenty issues, with arcs between 3 and 4 movies, and 4 and 5 movie, a flasback arc and a continuation of movie 5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

Lorenzo isn’t good at explaining himself in interviews with the English speaking press, add a layer of translation on top of what he said and it all just becomes nonsense. All we can really be certain of is two movies are in development.

My guess is they’ll do a Bee sequel, and then a big budget blockbuster, but they’ll be vague enough with the continuity that it can either be in the Bayverse, or not depending on what you prefer.

Either way I hope Travis has time in his schedule to direct one of them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That really isnt good justification for wanting a film that will certainly kill Paramount.

Especially when we KNOW that the script for TLK itself was two or more partial scripts taped together. The end result of a sixth film would just be more of the same. Doubly so if you consider TLK was supposed to LAUNCH a cinematic universe and given Unicron is typically a big background threat in every series he's in (except Prime because he kinda was worthless until he got out of the Earth), chances are he was supposed to be Paramount's Thanos equivalent and so would have needed more build up given the general public probably doesnt know a damn thing about him. Even Thanos needed GotG to explain why people gave a shit about him in-universe.

Like, is the only reason people want another potentially awful film purely because of a last minute (according to Lorenzo) addition of a stinger scene that name drops him? The idea the story has to be finished because of a teaser is utterly stupid, honestly. Nobody wants TLA2 even though Zuko's crazy sister was in the credits stinger.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, what?

Unicron being the Earth was integral part of the plot of The Last Knight. It wasn't some last minute stinger.

Also it's much easier to justify one more film in a long running, mostly successful series than for a failed adaptation that never got off the ground from film #1.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Then you know damn well that just makes it more likely they would forget all about it in a sequel.

After all, where did that Creators plot go? NOWHERE.

Tlk was not a success. At all. You cant justify a sequel to a film that cost so much that even after 600 million in the box office left Paramount 100 million in the red. TLK nearly ended Paramount. You are suggesting they would even want to acknowledge that film EXISTING beyond Lorenzo being a delusional moron.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. Hasbro never said that. Just TFW2005 reported this “news” and the general nerd culture website ecosphere ran with it. There is no proof this was ever stated

My proof? I was at toyfair.

• Like Like x 3
  10. fu2kimus

Was the phrase “new storytelling universe” not mentioned? Vague as that is.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    And what about the year before where it was confirmed the films would reset after Bumblebee regardless?

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Personally, I think 'new storytelling universe' is less vague than 'reboot'. 'Reboot' can mean multiple things (namely 'soft reboots'). 'New universe' leaves nothing to the imagination (especially since most fansites, wikis, and whatnot categorize things by 'universes'.) That's part of what baffles me about this whole thing. It's like that wording was intentionally chosen to clarify the state of continuity, but now Lorenzo's giving contradictory information.

They need to say "separate from Bay's universe" or "part of Bay's universe" at this point. Obviously everything else is too vague.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fu2kimus

I think theyre just using the phrase as an excuse to have it both ways to be honest.

I’m unsure why Lorenzo won’t let go though. You’ll find no bigger lover of the Bayverse(especially first trilogy)than myself, but 10 years of anything regardless of feelings towards it is probably enough.

My thoughts are Hasbro has more control, but not as much as fans think, which unless they stump up 100% of the budget, and get a director they can boss about without final cut, they won’t get.

I would think however that the top brass at Paramount would want to go their own way with things.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  14. geiriko

geiriko ~poi :3

News Credits:
    Seriously hopes that I am all wrong here, but what if ''new storytelling universe'' actually mean the stories that happen in the period between 1987-2007?

• Like Like x 3
  15. fu2kimus

That’s what I mean, they can say that’s what it meant. They never said the word “reboot”.

16. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Well-Known Member

Lorenzo was the same person who came out and said it was a prequel and then Hasbro later said it was a “new storytelling universe,” which essentially means reboot. Some people have tried to stretch it into something else but I don’t know what that means other than reboot.

I trust Hasbro’s word over someone who has been continually proven wrong and now has a track record of it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean, not really.

Unicron really played no part. It could be completely excised from from the film and nothing would really change. Quintessa could just as easily want to destroy Earth simply to heal Cybertron. (which is honestly what she seems more interested in)

• Like Like x 3
  18. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    TLK 2. No thanks. BB2, sure, yes. Beast Wars though, fuck yeah!

• Like Like x 4
  19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So we are back to the "it´s a reboot/not a reboot" dance?

• Like Like x 5
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    That wouldn't really make sense if they're doing a TLK sequel (which would have to be set post 2017).

If we take that statement literally, and acknowledge Lorenzo's remark, maybe this is some kind of "offshoot universe" that has aspects in common with the Bayverse, but technically exists apart from it (a closely related timeline). That way important events would carry over, but it wouldn't have to line up perfectly.

As much as I'd love to believe that's the case, I don't think they've devoted half that much thought to it. I'm beginning to think "new storytelling universe" was just something they threw out because it sounded good.

Eh, if they had said "reboot", they could always just say they meant "soft reboot". That's the problem, they can find a way to bend any phrasing. I mean, Lorenzo has already soiled the word "reboot" by saying he doesn't know what it means. At this point I find it hard to trust any of these words or phrases.

At this point they really just need to just hang a lantern on the whole thing and acknowledge it. Post a video where their top creatives and/or executives sit around a table and discuss how continuity will work moving forward. Is that too much to ask for? Maybe, but I don't think we're going to trust anything they say otherwise. It's like people who constantly get stuff wrong, or lie (not necessarily calling these people liars). Eventually you just start taking everything they say with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 2