Lorenzo Di Bonaventura on a TF/G.I Joe Crossover

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by eagc7, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    The movie couldn't decide whether it was a reboot or a sequel (not like Age of Extinction, which definitively time-skips and presents us with a changed world, from the beginning of the movie). Almost all of the first movie's cast is missing, except Duke, who get's unceremoniously blown up literally 15 minutes into the film. We're given C-Lister Joe's, other than Roadblock and Snake Eyes. The film's budget was a fraction of Rise of Cobra's, significantly lowering the stakes of all of the action sequences in the movie (which is something you don't want to do, in a summer blockbuster sequel). And, on top of all that, the movie was boring as hell...

Trust me. There are many more reasons to hate G.I. Joe: Retaliation, other than it not being "DARK AND GRITTY LOL".

2. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I knew this wasn't going to happen anyways.

3. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

On paper as its own universe, its easy to make lol they had NEST and all GI Joe is is high tech soldiers and an evil terrorist group, which was ROTF with the Fallen taken out. The only hard part is if they made it a sequel due to the absence of both parties in their universes

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True they have more material - they could branch off into Beast Wars or stuff like that... but regardless of quality when they reach TF6 in 2018 then it'll have been a series spanning over 10 years. They'll need a reboot regardless so the chances of a crossover that helps boot-up popularity of G.I.Joe for Hasbro would make sense

I mean that the idea of a advanced military taskforce equipped with 'the best of the best' gear is a more acceptable opposition to the Decepticons than being taken down by conventional weapons. In addition N.E.S.T. was normally separate from the Transformers action, sure they fought alongside in battles but it was never in close range. The G.I.Joe members however fight close-up and with high-tech suits they could be thrown into the middle of the war zone allowing us to experience the Autobots Vs Decepticon war from the perspective of someone caught in the crossfire.

True it was dumb and incredibly coincidental - though it did give each of the characters a memorable backstory that you are able to re-tell to me now (Unless you google'd it for this response...) anywho... the character development their is still more than what any of the Decepticons have and makes more logical sense than Sentinel Prime's motivations.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ya wanna know why a TF/Joe crossover wouod work? Because it already has. Lennox and NEST were tye Joe team.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Good.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'll never understand the obsession with crossing over Joe and TF.

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    It worked with penut butter cups

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    They already devoted half the screen time of the Transformers trilogy to soldiers. I don't see how they think this is so impossible.

I happen to like both GI Joe movies, and think that The Rise of Cobra did just as good of a job as TF 07 did with introducing the characters. Both GI Joe movies are leagues above RotF. Not even close.

10. TranfanCamilo

TranfanCamilo Active Member

YEEEEES!! We don't want a Transformers/GI JOE Crossover!!!!

11. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Imagine if they had just named all of those soldiers with the names of Joes...not the code names, but their actual names. People would have gone nuts waiting for the Joe spinoff!

12. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What idiot asked Di bonaventura this? Transformers 1-3 was basically a crossover with nest and the American military running around more so than the transformers.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It does seem like there are just too many problems in the way right now.

Lack of vision:

While Marvel has mapped out things far in advance to make all the parts fit together nicely the Hasbro films have just been make it up as you go along. Which results in having to bring characters like Megatron and Storm Shadow back from the dead because oops we didn't think ahead.

Fear of the reboot:

Transformers tried too hard to correct for Revenge of the Fallen so Dark of the Moon wasn't all it could be because Paramount and Hasbro fear the reboot. GI Joe 2 wasn't all it could be because it tried too hard to correct for part 1. Sometimes when bad ideas mess things up it's better to just drop continuity and start over.

Bay ego:

It seems like Bay is dead set and determined that no one can touch Transformers so do you have Bay direct Transformers vs GI Joe. While Bay might handle the Joe side well he has yet to make great film villains so I have a fear that Bay would make Cobra lame. There would also have to be some clause in there that the writers can't just kill off the Cobra high command when they couldn't figure out how to end the film. GI Joe without Cobra just doesn't work so the franchise needs those characters.

GI Joe can't decide on a visual style:

First film the Joes look they raided the X-Men yard sale for uniforms. Snake Eyes couldn't stand out in black because all the heroes had to wear black. Oh my geeky gods and the abomination that was the Cobra Commander costume in the first movie. Second movie more camo for a military feel. But with GI Joe not tearing up the box office where does the look go next and could that look fit the Transformers films?

Equipment:

Transformers has been some really long car commercials. But if you are going to have a cross over with GI Joe then people are going to demand Skystrikers, HISS tanks, Rattlers, Armadillos, FANG copters, VAMP jeep, and lots of things that car makers can't sell you. Also the two Joe movies have been a real let down on equipment so it's going to be a lot of equipment not done on film yet.

However:

I don't think that it's impossible because NEST was GI Joe in everything but name. If you just went back in and renamed Lennox to Duke, Epps to Stalker, the British guy to Big Ben, and one of the jump guys in Dark of the Moon to Ripcord or Airborn, then instant GI Joe cross over. We've already had the military big in three films so it's really just different names, some equipment changes, and putting in Cobra for a cross over.

Honestly I'm having a hard time seeing where it's all that different than Avengers where you have the concept of Captain America and Iron Man can work together but they don't go on every adventure together.

14. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or it could be that BOTH of them need each other to make a smash hit. I think its easier then what the guy is making it sound.. He was just being polite in saying " no we don't want to " .. Hell I would even settle for a full length Animated film. At least with an animated film you DONT need big name actors to show their face and look pretty for the cameras.. It can be done , its just finding the right people who are not to lazy to push the ideas through and make it happen..

15. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus Prime

Ebay:
    I'd like to see a one off GI Joe/TF period piece based on the Dreamwave series, so it can be it's own stand alone film set in WW2.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would love for their to be a legit Crossover someday but it won't be in this generation that's for sure.

when they reboot both franchise, then it can happen because their needs to be a clear cut vision and endgame.

17. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So... You actually think that people will want to head down to the nearest military jet dealership and demand a Rattler or Skystryker?

18. Buzzetta

Buzzetta Well-Known Member

And I will repeat what I said over at Hisstank:

This is why there are nitwits in Hollywood... Ready... I will write the premise for the crossover event right now. Hasbro... feel free to steal it if you are reading.

The government continues to see the transformers as a thread to Earth. Cobra develops a new power source. The government sends in the GI Joe team to retrieve the new power source (this is what we call in Indiana Jones: the 'MacGuffin') The Decepticons make a play for it first. The Autobots team up with GI Joe to put this new power source back in the hands of the people of Earth.

Team ups? Bumblebee and Snake Eyes so you can have your gratuitous SDCC redeco generations pack for the year of release.

Hasbro... this is getting stupid now. C'mon.

19. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Maybe when both series will get a reboot, clash them together into a crossover series.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Oh heck I'd want that just for the off chance at some World War II themed Transformers.

Alternate universe might also be a way around doing a film without having to step on the toes of anything else planned. Well the only GI Joe toes left to step on would GI Joe 3 since there isn't a new cartoon anywhere on the radar and toys are down to Toys R Us exclusive repaints and exclusive Kreo.