Lorenzo Di Bonaventura on a TF/G.I Joe Crossover

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by eagc7, Jun 21, 2014.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Producer On A G.I. JOE Crossover

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good. It would cost so much, that we would propably spent 80% with Joes, and TF's would have even less personality.

3. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    If there is anything the TF movies have going for them, it is that they're way better than the GI Joe movies.

Come to think of it, Hasbro has yet to make a great film. Could they ever rekindle a relationship with the #1 movie making idea factory of our time - Marvel?

Days of Future Past was an amazing experience - why can't we have the same? That movie pulled two casts together, this time with A-list and in-demand actors and actresses.

Why is it like TF movies exist in another Universe from where the rest of cinema is today?

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would enjoy a crossover movie. But not until GI Joe gets at least one decent movie on their own. The first one wasn't it and Retaliation wasn't it, either.

Unless GI Joe gets some decent movies first, all a crossover would do is drag down the TF movie franchise.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Pick up the phone and call Marvel to see how they do it.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Seriously. As much as most of the Marvel Studios movies leave me cold, there's no denying they've found success there, and have the WB/DC people falling all over themselves trying to emulate it already.

It seems weird that Di Bonaventura could be so out of touch with the rest of Hollywood that he somehow would not know this.

7. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe is dead as shit. This is no surprise. But it's kind of a shame, because if it was done right, it could be fantastic.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank god, they would get Transformers toys dragged out of stores like their line did.

Never liked the crossovers anyways.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm kind of shocked at his candor. Isn't it typical to get the fans' excitement up? Marvel gets asked these types of questions all the time, and their answers are always phrased in a way to get you excited. Not that I endorse this. In fact, it gets me to completely disregard anything Kevin Feige (the head of Marvel movies) says, since all he does is tantalize.

Anyway, Lorenzo could have said things like, "We're considering several story options!" or "Just wait and see what we're planning!" or "You won't be disappointed in what we have in store," or "Watch this space for a BIG announcement!" etc even if he had no ace up his sleeve.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its obvious they have little idea about how it would actually work - the only possibility of it actually working would mean a reboot for both franchises given that they've already messed up both universes way too much and made them too separate for a combination of the current universes. If they plan on doing a G.I.Joe Transformers Crossover then they really need to do it from scratch - reboot both series or set it in an alternate universe sort of situation.

As for 'combine the schedules of all the different people' it just makes me realise automatically that they mean combining the human casts - which would be completely unnecessary. Combining multiple casts is unnecessary as we just need a few (5 max) of the G.I.Joe's and an equal number of Cobra agents paired with an equal number of Transformers.

The whole interest I have in a live action Transformers G.I.Joe crossover is that it wouldn't require the human cast to sit around and do nothing for most the film. We wouldn't need a forced love story because the G.I.Joe's would be military members just trying to get their job done and save the world. Sure we could have a few of the rivalries that fans from the G.I.Joe and Transformers, however it doesn't need to be the focus of the film.

The inclusion of Delta 5 Accelerator suits (Or any sort of technologically advanced suit) in order to be able to get in the midst of battle would allow for the human cast to actually be involved in more of the movie and actually do stuff without acting stupid or not knowing how to fight.

That would be lying to fans though, especially if they don't have anything actually planned. Honestly I'd find that worse than if they have came out and said that it was a silly idea and that they would never do it. I'm already sick enough of Michael Bay and Nelson lying to fans - I don't want anyone else doing it.

Days Of Future Past handled the combined cast terribly - I don't think Iceman had more than one or two lines for example. The future X-Men just stood around doing nothing for 90% of the movie until the Sentinels actually attacked to make the climax of the movie more interesting. The plot was a mangled mess due to the combined cast also as their was no reason why they would send Bishop back in time one-day or so to warn them when Wolverine is more biologically capable of not getting his brain ripped apart by the Time Travel. Not to mention that any new mutants were discarded automatically and the only enjoyable scene (The Quicksilver scene) is just a carbon copy of the Nightcrawler slow-motion scene given an updated level of effects. Its an 'ok' film - however it wasted the potential of combining the casts.

Combining the casts is completely unnecessary also as we don't need to see the human cast of the Transformers movies in a crossover - considering that the G.I.Joe are military members which would actually make more sense for them to fight alongside the Autobots. The only 'combining casts' that needs to be done is getting the voice actors who played the robots to work with the actors who are going to be playing the G.I.Joe's. I have no interest for example in seeing Tessa and Shane's romance shoved into a Transformers G.I.Joe crossover - it would be pointless.

11. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

What a load of rubbish. How have the last three Transformers movies [and the upcoming one] been less expensive to produce than the GI Joe films? All TWO of them? Especially considering that Bay seems to know how to do a GI Joe movie quite well, based on his prolific use of both NEST AND the US Military. If anything, GI Joe NEEDS this crossover to happen because of how quickly it's swan-diving into obscurity. Mind you, I hate both the two GI Joe movies and the Bay films, but saying the budget wouldn't cover a crossover movie from happening is just lazy. Especially since most of the Transformers are voiced by voice actors.

12. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    Disney would shit Goofy dolls from the sky before they'd let Marvel assist hasbro in making a movie with G.I. Joes in it.

Hasbro has the right to use the G.I. Joe brand name in selling their toys and books...but Disney is not going to help hasbro make money for free.

If anything . Hasbro would have to agree to split Movie earnings with Disney....and we all know that's not going to happen.

13. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:

They probably won't do it because the FANS would hate/bash it, judging by posts like the ones above.

Personally, the first GI Joe was cheesy, by cool. I actually really liked the second one, action sequences were cool and the Rock always works as a military tough type. Story was pretty braindead... but it's GI Joe, so it worked for me.

Days of Future past.... IMHO opinion... was the worlds longest and most pointless retcon. The cast was nice and diverse, but I swear it was the most boring comic movie. 2 good action sequences, far too much talking, characters like Bishop and Iceman were just 'there' and added NOTHING to the movie. It was well done, but DAMN it was boring. So no thank you, I don't want my TF or GI Joe movies to resemble anything like Days of Future Ass. Decent movie that is VASTLY overrated to the point I believe the studio bought TONS of reviewers off. Seriously. On effin Rotten tomatoes DOFP is rated higher than Edge of Tomorrow, Captain America WS, Spiderman 2, and is tied with the Avengers.

No way is DOFP as good as the Avengers. But I digress. As the Avengers (and in a VASTLY inferior way, DOFP too) did, huge casts can be pulled together, but it requires a very talented director. I doubt whoever they would get could manage have the Joe and the TFs be the stars. Maybe when CGI isn't so expensive, this could work. Til then .... nah.

I'd love TF vs GI Joe, but only if it was done by someone who would take the care to make it as special as the Avengers and not just crap out a money earner.

14. Scorpio

News Credits:
    This ^

Personally though I preferred the first movie to the second... only thing I felt the second improved on was Cobra Commander.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Ol' Scorpy obviously doesn't seem to understand that the only schedules you need to know is the Gi Joe ones as obviously no Humans from any previous Transformers "Have" to be in it.

Heck the whole thing can be recast - They need to keep it on the back burner when it's reboot time at least. but the easier it gets to do CGI the more it makes sense to do it.

If he thinks it has to have Mark Walburg in it then nope (that is hardly a necessity)- he's just trying to get himself involved in the process a process Scorpy probably does not need to be involved in at all.

16. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as i wouldn't care to see this at all it would be super fucking easy to do.
    Imagine Dark of the moon with all of the nest stuff replaced with joes and Dempseys role being replaced with destro and cobra. It would be the same exact movie only fans would have liked it.

Since transformers requires human characters, then why not make them human characters fans give a shit about

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Easy, start with Sector 7 . Have the birth of GI Joe begin in a TF movie ,without mentioning the actual gi joe names in the movie. Too soon. Allow them some time to develop some character in the TF movies , then have a spin off movie about those characters alone and in that they can upgrade to gi joe form.

Now that we have some respet for them they can return to the TF movies in *cha ching* a Crossover.

18. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Refer to the two quotes below that confirm;
    A) They intended to combine schedules from both
    B) I understood completely that they didn't have to combine the human casts despite it being the most likely option and suggested an alternative.

A)
    B)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True - I also suggested this as an option;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggested an alternative and stated my desire not to have the current cast from Transformers;

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, as much as fans dumped on the first movie and tried to like the second for the ways the director paid lip service to the franchise's history (and had 100% less stupid acceleration suits), the first GI Joe is a much more competently put together movie than Retaliation.

20. Leviatron

Leviatron Well-Known Member

Precisely.

As one of the millions of tf fans that don't give a shit about GI joe or the comic crossovers, which I thought were garbage, I have absolutely no feelings of sadness about this.