Lorenzo Di Bonaventura Highlights The Future Direction Of The Transformers Movie Series

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here’s how I would have written the TFW news item for this:

That kooky Lorenzo is at it again, and apparenly still doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. In yet another interview with Japanese entertainment magazine The River, Lorenzo spews more self-centered and lost-moron-in-a-sea-of-wonder bullshit.

This time around the gems are:
    • Bumblebee isn’t a reboot or a remake, it’s a spin off
    • Continuity matters even less than before due to the “freedom” of a “new storytelling universe”.
    • Lorenzo doesn’t know what to do in regard to continuing the main series of TF movies, but he is single-handedly writing a script for a sequel to The Last Knight.
    • He claims that he’s learned a lot from Bumblebee, including the ground-breaking realization that audiences can follow and enjoy a story with emotion and warmth that focuses on a lead character. Also, a movie can be good even if it doesn’t have an explosion every few minutes.
    • Making good movies is hard.
    If you really want to waste your time reading the latest meaningless ramblings from Lorenzo, you can do so after the jump. We’d highly recommend you instead spend that time engaging with another human or a cherished pet.

• Like Like x 18
  2. OwlLasers

OwlLasers Technical Support

Amplify this.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

The best thing I've seen in a Lorenzo interview:
    He really does act as if he's the only person involved in making these films. It's rather ridiculous the way he talks about them.

Add to that he changes his mind about as often as some people take a sip of water, well, it's tough to have any idea what anything coming from him actually means. The only thing he says that I actually believe is when he says he doesn't know. Then stop there, man. You don't know. You've used up a TON of words to say you don't know over the past month or so. Maybe just say that and be done with it.

• Like Like x 6
  4. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You... people are aware that the "I I I I I I" comes from translating his answers from japanese to english right? That's a thing in pretty much any amateurly done or rushed translation in that direction.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You would have a point if not for the fact he speaks this way in straight English interviews.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Berser Car

Berser Car Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    So, if this is the official position at the moment, Bumblebee would be the The Scorpion King and the main TF movies would be The Mummy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Show me an english interview where Lorenzo says he wrote a script.

8. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I read this in a 1940's horse racing annoucer voice.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This interview is the first interview.

Instead of posting the full interview, they posted small snippets. But they are all part of the same.

Then the SXSW 'Reboot' interview happened.

Following that, The River posted the full first interview. This interview predates the SXSW interview.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sephiroth169

Sephiroth169 Well-Known Member

This is what i loved in TF 1-5
    That is why Transformers is heading in the ENTIRE Wrong Direction.
    It is just becoming....bullshit for Geeeewwwunners.

Do not get me Wrong: I like Bumblebee.
    BUT:

- In Bumblebee Movie: Charly gets almost more Screentime than Bumblebee himself
    > WHAT THE FUCK??? How can "Fans" even like this? The Focus should
    not be on Humans. That is what me angered most in Transformers 1-5 (Stupid Military)

- The Parts were reduced at Transforming, i also noticed that in BB Movie
    > But at BB Movie it was STILL okay! Transformation was still complex
    > NOW the Gewwwwuuuunnnerssss want the Parts to be even more reduced in the
    Next Movie > WHAT THE FUCK??????? I do not want to see a 1 Step Changer
    at the Big Screen!

Seriously, You guys can not tell me, that you LOVE these 2 Facts that i
    have mentioned above; what the Fuck is wrong with everybody????

Focus on Humans, stupid Teen Girls, One Step Changer in a Live Action Movie.

My Prediction: IF they keep this up within the Next Movies, these Movies will FAIL so hard.

More Focus on Robots, less Humans (Like in AoE), No Military, more Robot Personality, better longer fights
    = You got the Perfect Transformer Movie. But Paramount will never learn.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I don't think we're ever going to get a (live-action) movie with minimal human screentime. For one thing, it's just not feasible with current CGI budgets. Second, the general audience likes having some kind of human connection. The way I see it, that's what the comics, cartoons, etc. are for. There's plenty of human-free/minimal Transformers media out there. The movies are supposed to be a bit more grounded.

Personally, I like having a human connection. Something like Cyberverse kind of bores me after a while. I like seeing our species interact with these robots, I like seeing the two cultures meet, I like the discovery and wonder of it all. I'd argue the scene where Charlie shows Bumblebee her cassette tapes was better than the entirety of the MTMTE comic (just personal preference). I really liked Charlie's character. If you swapped Charlie's role with another Transformer, I don't think I would have liked the movie nearly as much. I'm not saying every Transformers movie needs to keep this exact formula, but it worked here.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

Thing is Charlie is actually mildly interesting, unlike the countless generic human soldiers in 4 of the 5 past movies. That said, whenever she’s on screen she’s usually with Bumblebee so in a way we’re still following him around. As for the reduced parts count, I have to disagree with you. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say they want simpler designs. The Bee movie seems to have the perfect medium of G1 inspired designs and live-action complexity. If we get more of this I’d be more than happy with it

• Like Like x 4
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because unlike the first five movies, Charlie was actually written well and was an enjoyable character in her own right.

Maybe people just want transformation where they can see what the Goddamn is happening?

Well, they aren't shouting and can use proper punctuation at least.

See, this is what makes people not consider opinions like yours. Your complaints are highly superficial and presented in an almost tantrum-like fashion. Rather than make a level-headed case for your preferences, you personify the very stereotype people have come to loathe from people who are pro-Bay. You think humans are automatically bad, or that all human screentime is equivalent to the farcical levels of the first five movies. You think that because people want transformations we can visually follow with minimal cheating (read: the style of the first twenty or so years of the brand) they must want ridiculously simplified designs akin to the actual toys.

What people really want is a story they can emotionally invest in, and characters they can empathize with. That's all there is to it. People like seeing the humans interact with the Transformers because it makes the Transformers look gigantic and awesome by comparison. They like simpler designs because they can visually identify them at a glance and recognize the characters.

• Like Like x 6
  15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Emphasis on "mildly" imo. For a movie I prefer the soldiers in battle over a teen having trouble with peers .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people like watching movies with well-written characters and stories, while others prefer seeing things getting blown up.

The thing is, explosions tend to get boring for most people after a while, especially as they get older, but a good story with characters they actually care about will keep them coming back.

And one thing, I'll point out, (and this may upset some people), and one that some may not want to admit. If you're planning to sell a movie abroad, know your audience.

'Soldiers' aren't always popular in a lot of countries, and when the Autobots are repeatedly, movie after movie, portrayed as apparently being part of the US army, (bear in mind, a lot of people in foreign countries can't tell the difference between regular army, NEST or Cemetery Wind, and even in Western countries, we're sometimes left wondering WTF is going on) a lot of audiences abroad have begun to view the Transformers almost as US military propaganda, and that can be off-putting for some.

It may sound stupid, but there is now a cynical attitude towards the live-action Transformers franchise out there, and it's not just due to the bad writing.

Incidentally, I'm not dissing the military. But if you're planning to release a movie abroad, and the way the world is now, make sure you know what kind of audience you're dealing with. Especially if you want their money.

So soldiers in battle may be cool for some, but they won't be for everyone, especially these days (and in my case, I tend to get a bit annoyed because my childhood Transformers would have wiped the floor with the human military. ).

I suppose if I had to portray a special anti-Transformer human military unit (possibly part of a secret global organisation dating back centuries) in a Transformers movie, I'd have them dress very different from 'normal' soldiers - probably something that looks futuristic, and in non-military colours (this particular shade of purple? Some aliens can't handle it.), and arm them with futuristic weaponry.

Hm, actually, yeah. Bright colourful Halo Spartan-like armour might be the way to go. Think of the toys.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that can fix this mess, is news that Travis Knight's will be directing. Because it sounds like Paramount doesn't have a clue yet.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

I take it you've never seen WALL-E or The Lego Movie, then.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I've seen both, Wall-e is actually in my top five favorite movies.

Despite the animation being somewhat photorealistic in both, I'd argue they're not quite live action. Wall-E's last two thirds are pretty cartoony. The Lego movie could almost pass for stop motion, but animating fairly simplistic Lego bricks is probably less expensive than photorealistic robots.

I do think an animated Transformers movie is feasible, maybe with CGI on-par with those WFC/FOC cinematic trailers. If it was set on Cybertron, it could probably pass for live-action. I just can't see them doing a human-free TF movie with Bumblebee/Bayverse-level CGI, and real environments.

Also, aside from the cost factor, I don't think we've seen anything like that since that Dinosaur movie in the 2000s. That's the only movie I'm aware of with exclusively CGI characters against real backgrounds. It's a neat idea, but it just doesn't seem like something Hollywood really does at the moment. Maybe the new Lion King is doing that? I suppose if that's successful, we could start seeing more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

I was talking more about the fact they were CGI films that had live action elements but did NOT rely heavily on them. WALL-E only has two short clips of the President and the gallery of ship captains, while Lego movie LEGIT had live action after Emmet falls "out" of the LEGO world.

They are by definition live action films even if the actual live action is neither the selling point nor ultimately important to the plot as being live action.

• Like Like x 2