Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim movie announced

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MrBoombastiqueFantastique, Jun 10, 2021.

1. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

MrBoombastiqueFantastique YESSS... YES... YESSS!!!

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Woah! I was not expecting this. I’m interested though…

3. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

Me too, I was close to have a heart attack when I saw it, then I read it's anime and not live action and I calmed down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I'd rather have it be live action then cartoon.

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Kenji does great work, with Ghost In The Shell SAC and Eden of the East as his big legacy projects. I'm sure he'll do this story justice.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ramberk Magnus

Very good to know.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Not the first time Tolken has been animated

It'll be interesting to see how this one looks and compares.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Well, this one is supposed to be New Line canon so I think it will blow those guys away. Even Bashki's work.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

True, I also think that this project came most likely from the creative side rather than corporate, I have doubts this film was the idea of some producer at WB. It's most likely from the artistic side.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Or it could just be them doing something so they can keep the Lord of the Rings rights(Books) away from amazon. Often you have to do a new project every so often to keep the rights depending on the contract. They have Hobbit,and the 3 books. I think Amazon got the other left over stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'll have to see that to believe it, mainly because I have a very high opinion of both Bakshi's work and classic Rankin Bass 2D animation in terms of quality. Might end up being personal preference, but I can stand to be proven wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

I think WB only has the movie rights, Amazon can't make movies and 3rd age stuff. WB wanted to have the tv rights but they lost to Amazon, New Line is still producing the Amazon show so they can use costumes from the LotR trilogy.

13. Ramberk Magnus

Yup. This. It feels like a mess that’s similar to Hannibal (the show) and Hannibal (the movies) and how they didn’t want to share characters.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    It's also the 20th anniversary of New Line's Fellowship, so I think they're trying to recapture some of the glory, albeit in a cheaper vehicle. You can also have Ian's Gandalf show up without having to explain why he looks 20 years older than he does 250 years later (between this film and the trilogy films).

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years since Fellowship of the Ring. Granted it was a bit before my memory (I would have been about 5 at the time), but I still think of those as relatively modern movies. They're hitting that point of becoming classics (which they always kind of were, honestly).

Tolkien's Middle Earth makes for a weird 'franchise' because it's really just The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. And the Silmarillion, which no one outside of hardcore Tokien fans reads. And that seems hard to adapt into a more mainstream piece of media (at least from what I gather, I've never read it myself). To me Middle Earth seems like the sort of universe that feels expansive (and is admittedly very well thought-out logistically), but isn't terribly interesting without Tolkien's particular stories and characters. Whenever someone tries to create an original story or create a new character in Middle Earth (like Tauriel), it always just feels like fanfiction to me. You might as well just create a new fantasy world. It almost feels wrong to add to Tolkien's work. But they have to keep doing stuff in this world because it makes money. It's one of those series (like Back to the Future) that should just be complete.

That being said, this sounds way more interesting than the Amazon show. I have zero interest in that. At least this is a self-contained movie that's being done in a different style. It's cool that they're trying something a bit different. Although I still say they should redo the Hobbit before they do anything else....seems silly to add to the universe when one of Tolkien's core stories still hasn't got a definitive live-action adaptation. C'mon, it's been ten years...Spiderman was rebooted in less time than that.

16. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm actually surprised it took them so long.

17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I've become more fine with The Hobbit movies as time passes. It's no LotR but it has its charm all the same...just different.

Most of Tolkien's stories are well-nigh unfilmable or are filmable but don't jive with his novels in tone. There's plenty of tales that are mentioned in general terms and would require more fleshed out material. This is one of those instances and, while it would be nice if it were live action, I think a writer who understands the tone of the novels will do the story justice. They mention in the article that Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh aren't attached to the project yet...but after The Hobbit, I think leaving them out is fine. Just need someone who understands the voice of the Rohirrim, which is metered and weighty. Consistency on tone is what people will expect. It can't be super gory. No cursing. This may sound racist but in order to stay true to the source material you can't have Asian or African decent in the Rohirrim - these are north European viking-style archetypes and having otherwise would be like having token white people inexplicably hanging around Wakanda. If you want a movie where things get mixed around with modern American sensibilities, I'm sure the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons film will check off all the boxes necessary for a socially diverse fantasy film.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ramberk Magnus

I mean, this is a fantasy setting, you can toss race out the window if you choose to do so. Gatekeeping who can play roles based on skin color feels kinda yucky though since you then basically limit all non-white actors to Orcs or evil humans (go read Tolkien and see how he describes enemy human characters).

I wish the Silmarillion had been developed into a multi-season show. Tolkien provided a great outline and structure for many storylines.

It’ll be interesting to see the final products for all of these projects since there are lots of hardcore Tolkien fans out there. We’ll be very closely analyzing these works. This is an odd franchise for me because I don’t really care when new elements are added to Marvel/Trek/Star Wars/etc but I just feel there’s stricter rules with Tolkien. Even if I think “they got it wrong” it’ll be interesting to see it play out.

I personally thought the LOTR films caught the spirit of the books. The Hobbit trilogy was just overstuffed, drawn out and filled with terrible Hollywood tropes unfortunately.

19. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry guys but...
    LOTR anime.jpg

I shudder to think what Japan would do with the subject. The Dragon Age anime(s) were bad enough.

I had to look up this because I remember Sage's review about how SAC was the worst anime version of Ghost in the Shell ever, then I luckily realized that was SAC 2045, a spinoff...
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Wikipedia

Same here, but then again to me anything post 2000 is considered "modern", that just comes with age. :D 

I had expected the popularity of LOTR and The Hobbit to make people read the extra fluff too. I mean in Hungary, they re-released both the Silmarillion and In Search of the Ring (his son's work in collecting and finalizing his unreleased short stories set after Silmarillion but before the Hobbit) after the movies, I assumed the new fans who came in from the movieverse read those.
    And true, I worry what happens if they try to make their own stories... Jackson messed things up enough with his rewrites and character-altering moments.
    Honestly not sure what this could even be about, on whom could the Rohirrim wage war upon? The Numenorians, back in the time before their decline?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  20. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

Silmarillion anime, make it happen.