Looks like Bay is indeed back for a Fifth Round

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by eagc7, Jan 4, 2016.

1. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

YAY! I'm glad to see him back. I have enjoyed every TF movie he has made, even with their flaws, and am looking forward to the next. I have nothing against the previous writers, but I do like the idea of new writers.

I do believe he really intended AOE to be his last, but according to the article (quote below from article) J.J. Abrams had something to do with his deciding to do it again. I do agree with Abrams kinda, I don't think anyone else could do the movies (well, I would actually like to see Abrams give it a shot).

"I remind Bay that he said the same thing before each of the last two Transformers movies (in reference to Bay saying this is his last one). "I know," he says. "J.J. [Abrams] told me, 'You're the only guy that could do this.' But it's time to move on. One more."

Off-Topic: All the hate in this thread is a bit sad and pathetic.

2. wearelegion69

wearelegion69 Banned

News Credits:
    Haha, but all kidding aside, there is no way of proving that.

If Kruger isnt involved in the next one, we will at least see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, and if you are in europe then a shipped takara figure from amiami ends up costing the same as in stores (all depending on customs) or cheaper. Its definitely cheaper to go that route if your in brazil.

3. mikes28

mikes28 Member

I wonder if Bay is aware that there was a cartoon back in the 80s titled Transfomers and the majority of the fans would like to see a continuity of that story line. A reboot would be advantageous at this point and Hasbro has been releasing many G1 type figures these days which shows they are willing to produce toys that will actually sell.

Why must the movies veer so far from the transformers roots? The first Bay movie was targeting a mass audience and my (non fan) wife enjoyed that movie. She refuses to watch the movies these days and she even thinks they are too off base.

I have to go back and watch the 1986 animated movie after each Bay disappointment to remind myself why I even care. I think Hasbro has been just as much to blame by creating these ridiculous toys Bay has to turn into characters on the screen. I wish there was a way fans could give feedback on the direction of the franchise.

4. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 Survivor of the Grey Hands War of 2019

You need to take off your rose colored glasses and realize that this isn't the same thing as Generation one. There have been several generations, and this is a new storyline.

The 1986 movie wasn't that great. It was cheesy, poorly written, and kind of boring at times. Yet everyone praises it as a holy grail because of the nostalgia factor.

I also don't think you realize the toy making process. The character designs come way before the toys, as evidenced by a lot of figures being based on concept art and not the final rendition of the on-screen characters.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    We give feedback on the direction of the franchise every single day, and Hasbro is aware of it. They just don't care as much as you might like because they have bigger things to worry about. Like staying in business by making money. Our TF fandom is just one slice of the pie, and not only is it not the biggest slice, it's not even a big slice.

No, they praise it because it IS a good movie. It's great, in terms of Transformers fiction, arguably the pinnacle of on-screen TF, or at the very least, one of the few highest peaks. It's got a decent 'hero's journey' story, real stakes, nice characterizations, great animation, and a relentless forward momentum that many non-animated adventure movies could learn something from. If all that passes you by, that's on you, not the movie.

Also, calling the Bay movies "not Generation one" is splitting hairs, since it is clearly based on the original story and mythology, with many plot elements coming from Sunbow cartoon episodes or Marvel comics issues.

6. Burnout00012

Now I'll admit, the animation was great, and every now and then the cheese is good. But honestly, I've seen the 86 movie once and that's all I feel I ever need to see of it, while I could watch the live action ones over and over and over again.

It's true, they're taking ideas that were used in the episodes, but it's not meant to be a direct retelling. It truly is a new generation with new character personalities, new storylines, etc.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Your loss. But you've overlooked a lot if that's all you got out of the first viewing.

Nah, it's an adaptation of the basic Transformers storyline as it has existed since 1984. All the denial in the world can't change that.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Seriously.
    It's a simple truth and fact that people surprisingly don't seem to grasp.

9. Burnout00012

Pretty sure there was no Allspark in G1, no Fallen, no rogue primes, no driller, no Lockdown... need I continue?

10. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

This is basically what we have gotten and will be getting from Bay:

[​IMG]

11. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well then I think I speak in greater authority when I say that it is AWESOME as I've seen it thousands of times (probably)

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, you better. Because most of those things are renamed elements from the Marvel comics. I mean, okay, Shockwave's driller was all new, big whoop. The Bay movies are a closer adaptation of the G1 story than the IDW comics, and those get called neo-G1 (or part of the G1 "continuity family" :rolleyes2  or whatever) all the time.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With the movies I don't think it's Hasbro but Paramount. Hasbro was a toy company so they really didn't have any idea of how movies get made just that they wanted their franchises turned into movies.

While we don't get everything from Hasbro we get a load of stuff that seems like hey this is what collectors want but we can also sell this stuff to kids. So many characters that haven't had a release in long time getting releases, it's just impossible to think that Hasbro isn't looking into what do our fans want.

Paramount on the other hand they just don't seem as worried. Transformers fans upset, whatever. GI Joe fans upset, whatever. Some studios see making fans happy as an important part of adding more to their box office but Paramount just doesn't seem to care if any fans show up to their films or not.

14. Galvatross

Galvatross Shrek = sOGREat! Veteran

I don't think AOE is so hated for its own merits so much as A) it's the fourth film in the series, so many critics and fans who hated the previous films ripped it for simply existing. B) Teenagers and twenty somethings of the general public were butthurt about Shia LeDouche's absence. C) Many fans of the previous movies consider AOE the movie that "ruined Bayformers FOREVER." They didn't want Autobots that don't get along with each other, humans and Autobots being enemies, human-made Transformers, or alien bounty hunters. They wanted another Autobots vs. Decepticons film with NEST and what not because they wanted every film to be like 2007 and the first trilogy. All three groups combined means AOE is the film that is cool to hate regardless of what you actually think of the film.

So much of the hatred was based on extreme nitpicks at best (I remember some people saying that Steve Jablonsky's score was terrible. Think about that.) and hyperbole and fabrications at worst. I can't count how many times I've seen fans and internet reviewers that claim they hadn't seen it or had no plans to see it say that it was the worst of films. How can one claim that if they haven't seen it for themselves? Likewise, many "critiques" from professional critiques didn't even say anything about the film itself; it was just "it's a Transformers film, so it sucks!" Whatever one thinks of the films, that is not good critical work.

Also, note I am talking not about those critical of the film, but rather the many knee-jerk negative reactions to anything and everything involving the film. Constructive criticism is undoubtedly important whether one likes a film or not. However, no Transformers film should make someone legitimately angry at its existence.

Whether someone wants Bay or not to return, I think we need to watch Transformers 5 and future films with open minds. We shouldn't judge it automatically as good or bad before we see it. Judge it for its own merits and not because it exists and you want a reboot, or because it's cool to hate the films, or because it doesn't match your version of Transformers. None of the cartoons or films or comics fully match my internal vision of Transformers, but I enjoy most of them for what they are and not for how they compare to my internal vision of Transformers. Frankly, I actually enjoy seeing other visions of Transformers that aren't my own.

15. Burnout00012

Alright, I'll admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable about G1. I've seen a lot of it, but I find it hard to sit through repeatedly. There could be a ton of assets reused from G1. So what? Isn't that a good thing? That there's transformers lore in Transformers?

This man knows what's up!

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think you're making the mistake of thinking I'm anti-Bay movies. I like the Bay movies. I own all of them on blu-ray and have watched all of them many times. I like them. I think they are much more true to the franchise than they get credit for in the fandom, and I think a lot of the complaining comes from a deep-seated denial of what Transformers actually IS. People want to imagine it as something much greater and deeper that has somehow been ruined through misinterpretation by Bay, the writers, and Paramount in general, when actually, they're pretty authentic to what Budiansky and the Sunbow team originally put forth 32 years ago.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Actually it's from the movies being objectively bad.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They're flawed movies, no question, but... bad compared to what? What previous iteration of Transformers was narratively less "bad"? None, really. But I think a portion of the fandom feels embarrassed by these "bad" movies that are out there for all to see, and would like to pretend to their non-TF fan friends & family that "real" Transformers is actually better, if only that could have been captured on film somehow. So, self-delusion, really.

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    More like SOL (Shit out of Luck) for us.

20. Burnout00012

And in that regard, I agree with you 100%! :D 

I like to think I've avoided that delusion. I know that the movies are far from perfect. But I enjoy the hell out of them, and everyone knows I do. I'll defend them all day long, but in the end it's just mindless entertainment with the Transformers brand slapped on it. And you know what? I'm A-okay with that.