Looking to start Legends scaled collection... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by raptor22, Aug 15, 2018.

1. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've been a MP-scaled collector and these 3P Legends scaled bots have really caught my attention with the amount of engineering & detail they offer. However, I don't know much about what's really out there. I do know that there's DX9 War in Pocket and Iron Factory. But I really don't know in good detail about their products. Plus, I don't know what characters have been covered and what's still on the way? Or what to avoid and what is preferred? Or if I should even invest in such a scale?

Perhaps if you guys can give me some pointers, that would be great.

I know there may be a lot of subjective opinions, but I want to hear it all. Thank you all!

• Like Like x 1
  2. myoung555

myoung555 Well-Known Member

4A912E05-EBE0-4077-B95F-B7F719A855AF.jpeg I’m tempted to sell my MP collection because these 3P companies are bringing their A game with these Legends.

MechFansToys is a made their own Legends + scale by KOing/upscaling other Legends. Not my cup of tea and I don’t want to be limited to their scale in case I don’t like a figure they do.

I personally like DX9 (Optimus, Dinobots, Soundwave), Magic Square (Bee, Inferno, Grapple), Iron Factory (Shockwave & Seekers, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Datsun Bros if you can find them), Hot Soldiers (Ironhide & Ratchet) for the Legends figures they’ve put out so far.

There needs to be a better Megatron though. DX9 mini Mightron’s articulation and headsculpt leaves a lot to be desired.

Magic Square has a SICK Huffer, Sideswipe & Red Alert coming.

These legends are really fun to transform, super articulated, don’t take up a ton of space & won’t break your wallet.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  3. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I dunno about not breaking your wallet part. Many of these figures can be VERY expensive for such small figures. MFT has been very helpful for me because they are typically pretty cheap and so is MechPlanet. There are many different size options out there to choose from and make your ideal size and scale. It all depends on your preference. Personally I no longer collect Chug and never enjoyed MP. These have completely taken over. Best advice I can give you is to pace yourself, and don't go broke.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bmc82

bmc82 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  5. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Copper Age Collector

News Credits:
    If I were just starting out and wanted to amass a wonderful legends scaled G1 collection, I would go with every Magic Square Toys offering. Add to that DX9 Dutch, & Dinobots, NewAge Flipper and Unique Toys Headmasters and you've got a great looking, mini MP display.

• Like Like x 5
  6. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't collect legends but I like what magic square are doing

• Like Like x 2
  7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Yes, I have some suggestions, the main one being to prepare early for a 12-step recovery program for your impending addiction.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Do you have a preference for G1 style or modern designs?

Do you want a coherent collection, or are you just looking for cool figures?

• Like Like x 1
  9. myoung555

I sold the Datsuns because they’re smaller than the newer Carbots coming out. Sold the Lambo twins because Magic Square is coming out with a more G1 looking Sideswipe but otherwise they are very cool.

Sold my DX9 Seekers because I couldn’t stand the turtle necks even though the rest of them look very G1. Went with IF Seekers because they have super articulation and you clearly know who they are (albeit a more modern take) when you look at them.

Need someone to step up with Insecticons (or downsize the Hasbro Insecticons).

The Perfect Effect Scouting Force (Reflector) are super awesome if you can get your hands on them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rondg

rondg Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat with the OP and this picture/post made me decide that I too will collect legends scaled transformers. I blame you sir @myoung555 :D 

• Like Like x 2
  11. LarELar

LarELar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pointer #1: decide which aesthetic you want to start with (i.e. G1, IDW, something else). That way if you have a character you enjoy, you might take further interest in the unique transformation offered by the legends figure & there’s less risk of being stuck with something someone else enjoyed, but doesn’t check your own personal nostalgia (or other) checkboxes.

So, for instance if it’s G1, I’d recommend getting one of the seeker sets. While MFT slightly upscales other legends offerings, the G1 Dx9 seekers were 1:1 KO’d by I think 2 other companies. I think both of which are/were more reasonably priced.

Pointer #2: for additional savings, save figures in your eBay cart from trusted sellers and be on the lookout for eBay flash sales to get an additional 10%, 15% or even 20% off. I’ve gotten the bulk of my modern day legends figures from hzj401. There are obviously others, and the China Ebay Seller Check is a solid resource. Hzj offers items with or without box to save a dollar or two in figure and shipping & is responsive to messages inquiring him to check for & selling figures he doesn’t have eBay listings for & customizing a lot for you.

So, those are just a couple of things to consider when ‘getting started.’

Pointer #3: buckle up and enjoy the ride.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MFT = win

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

My advice would be to look at alternate versions from different makers using eg, that mega thread above.

There's quite a few 3Ps making Legends, some of them have slightly different scale or aesthetic. Check them out and decide which you like before committing so you don't wind up with a mismatched collection.

Some of them are similar enough you can mix and match them though. I make a call on a figure by figure basis.

• Like Like x 1
  14. myoung555

MFT gives 0 effs about KOing another design.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MFT copies and upscales Transformers, but their Diaclone stuff doesn't get upscaled.

Pocket Toys does straight copies.

Papa Toys upscaled their Reflector.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

I’m going for the official legends scale that DX9 War in Pocket and Magic Square are maintaining but I would recommend starting with the Unique Toys Palm Collection headmasters. I recently picked up the full lineup here and there and they are pretty awesome. Some of the transformations are more involved and overall they’re a nice lineup of bots with the two triple changers and each one has some compartment for their headmasters.

I recommend these first because if you like them the Chromedome and Weirdwolf figures are hard to find and don’t float through eBay often. The DX9 WIP seekers are also hard to find but apparently the Pocket Toys KOs are basically the same and still out there. The other DX9 and Magic Square figures are fairly new or coming out as you read this. Well the original DX9 WIP Megatron is impossible to find so I’m hoping Magic Square takes a swing at him.

I really like the MFT figures but really want to maintain the scale and I can’t buy everything.

• Like Like x 2
  17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only figure I'm having a pain finding is DX9's Blurr.

Oh, and the Iron Factory Datsun bros are incredibly hard to come by. Fortunately, I managed to score a set a couple months back.

• Like Like x 1