Looking to get into the Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ShadowDarknos, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ShadowDarknos

ShadowDarknos Well-Known Member

Was wondering where I should start and what the most of my fellow board members was the best out of the current comics.

2. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Did you read any of the old Marvel comics? If you did, you'd probably enjoy the "ReGeneration One" series. It's Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman (the same pair that ended the original comic) doing another 20 issues to "finish up the comic G1 storyline". It's a fun trip down nostalgia lane.

Otherwise, you can pick up "More Than Meets the Eye" and "Robots in Disguise". They are both on-going and while neither book really relates much to the other in terms of what's going on (MTMTE follows Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, and Drift as they travel the universe looking for the "Knights of Cybertron" while RID follows Bumblebee, Prowl, Starscream, and Metalhawk as they try to rebuild Cybertron both in the physical sense as well as the political and social sense). You don't need to have read any of the prior IDW stuff to understand what's happening.

If you have a tablet or smart phone, Comixology is a great resource (same day digital purchase ability). You can also do it on the computer if you'd like.

Hope that helps!

3. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    go buy more than meets the eye, now.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    First get the "The Death Of Optimus Prime" one-shot and from there continues with More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise.

For everything that's unlcear in the continuity if you're a new commer there's tfwiki to clear it out.

5. ShadowDarknos

ShadowDarknos Well-Known Member

This would be my first venture into TF comics, currently read Marvel and DC titles; Batman, B&R, Aquaman, Ironman, ext. Would just like to ask which do you guys prefer and why? If its the writing, the story, the characters, ext.

6. starscreamzx

starscreamzx Well-Known Member

I would start with the following TPB:

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Volume 1 (Transformers (Idw)): James Roberts, Nick Roche, Alex Milne: 9781613772355: Amazon.com: Books

This includes "The Death of Optimus Prime", which is the starting point for both the "More than Meets the Eye" and "Robots in Disguise" ongoings.
    It also includes MtMtE 1-3

If you enjoyed the MtMtE issues as much as I did, do yourself a favor and get:

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Volume 2: James Roberts, Alex Milne, Nick Roche: 9781613774984: Amazon.com: Books

This includes MtMtE 4-9. For me, this is where this ongoing really hits its stride. Each issue is just quality.

"Robots in Disguise" 1-5 is available here:

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 1: John Barber, Andrew Griffith: 9781613772911: Amazon.com: Books

A bit of a different flavor of TF comics compared to MtMtE - Well worth picking up this first trade to see if this appeals to you.

7. Troubl8385

Troubl8385 Active Member

You can never go wrong with the original Marvel Comics.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Yeah, pick up MTMTE or Regeneration One.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buy TPB of the old Marvel series. Avoid RID & MTMTE unless you want characters who look nothing like you think they should look like & a boring ass story, especially MTMTE.

10. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    My advice is to not listen to this guy. MTMTE and RiD are great.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I find all the comics in the modern era have an enjoyable story and very high quality.
    As mentioned the tfwiki really helps fill in the holes so starting anywhere is possible, either by getting a few trades, or by jumping on the latest on going series. The "more than meets the eye" series is excellent, with lots of story content and great art.

TF comic readers have never been more spoiled than now with content. Just dive in and enjoy.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah because fuck good writing and great character interactions and development and over arching story-lines and new and inovative directions for the franchise we need more of the same shit and relic hunts damn it!

Also how do you know what he wants the characters to look like?