Looking for recommendations for a primarily MTMTE reading order

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Jordland, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jordland

Jordland Well-Known Member

I was using the pinned thread on the IDW reading order, going through all the IDW stuff from the beginning. I got four volumes in and after the novelty of reading Transformers comics wore off I simply found myself not enjoying the writing.

So I decided to jump straight to RID & MTMTE. I started with Last Stand of the Wreckers (loved it), read Transformers #22-23 (also loved it) and then grabbed the RID and MTMTE collections. I was going back and forth after each respective issue while throwing in the Spotlight issues when they pop up. As I went on (about 14 issues in or so) I simply stopped caring for RID and, well, for pretty much everything not written Roberts (or Roche) or drawn by Milne or Roche. I also didn't enjoy the 2012 MTMTE annual. Aside from really disliking the art, I was disappointed by the change in tone and pacing and found the usually organic character development rushed which led to many of the dramatic moments coming across completely undeserved.

So my question is... how viable is it to only stick to MTMTE? How much will I miss out on? Am I correct in my understanding that MTMTE is pretty much it's own thing post Dark Cybertron (which I haven't got to yet and am sort of dreading reading). What's the must reads stuff so I won't end up terribly confused? I just want to make sure that all the stuff I don't like doesn't make me give up on MTMTE, which I find to be one of the most enjoyable comics I've read. Thanks all!

2. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally viable. MTMTE and RiD have nice little nods to each other throughout first season that reward reading both, but it's not, by any stretch, required for either title. For an MTMTE reading order I'd go:

Backstory:
    Last Stand of the Wreckers #1-5
    Transformers (2009-2011 series) #22-23
    The Death of Optimus Prime

Season 1:
    MTMTE #1-5
    Spotlight: Trailcutter
    Spotlight: Hoist
    MTMTE #6-7
    MTMTE Annual 1
    MTMTE #8-22

Dark Cybertron:
    Dark Cybertron #1
    MTMTE #23
    RiD #23
    MTMTE #24
    RiD #24
    MTMTE #25
    RiD #25
    MTMTE #26
    RiD #26
    MTMTE #27
    RiD #27
    Dark Cybertron Finale

Season 2:
    MTMTE #28 onward

You can probably skip Dark Cybertron if you want... it's largely an RiD story. There are MTMTE plot points that get peppered into it, but you can pick them up in the early issues of season 2.

3. Jordland

Awesome! Thank you so much!

4. Reask

Reask Predacon

Pretty much the same order as DanC recommended, best one to go for. Now when it comes to Dark Cybertron, you are going to hate all of the different art styles they throw in but I still think it's best to read it in order to understand the world season 2 is set in now.

After issue 40 I think it was we had a mini-series called Empire of Stone that tie-in to one of the characters of MTMTE (Not spoiling because plot reasons), and while it's there to explain what happened to him, it's not really that important honestly aside from the pretty art.

However I do recommend getting The Holiday Special say, after issue 49 but before issue 50, there's a hilarious MTMTE short story in there that's worth picking up just for that one alone. :)  Don't look at the cover just yet though it spoils a plot element that was established and I'm not sure if you know of it but I can't be too careful.

EDIT: Oh! Do pick up Spotlight Orion Pax though, it's not part of the MTMTE story but James Roberts wrote that one too and it's just wonderful imo. You can read it anytime you want seen as it's obviously when Optimus is still Orion.

5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    May want SP Orion Pax and Megatron in there, but neither are vital. Both, however, are good.

6. Jordland

Thanks. I'll stick to that order.

By the way, have anyone told us what the reasoning was for the strange back-to-back side-stories from issues 7–11? You have #1-6 setting everything up with perfect pacing then you get:

• MTMTE #7–8.
    A side-story/set-up for the D.J.D that barely advances the main cast (that said, I absolutely loved these issues and hope these characters make their way into MTMTE instead of going to RID. Since at the end of #8 they talk about returning to Cybertron I'm hoping they make their way back to Roberts' side of the story at some point after that).

• 2012 Annual.
    A bit two-parter with major revelations and plot progression seemingly out of nowhere. As stated above, I really disliked this. Don't get me wrong, there are some great moments here (mainly the comedic stuff) but there were things like Drift and Ratchet arguing about faith that really came out of nowhere/had no build up. Or the epilogue which explains the entire climax of the Annual in a quick, casual conversation. Whatever the reason for it, it felt really off and unsatisfying.

• MTMTE #9–11.
    Another side story. Like issues 7 and 8 I enjoyed this as well. But...

... I was dying for them to get back to the main tone/story that was set in the first 6 issues. I mean, we got 6 issues of the main story, followed by a 2 part side story, followed by a 2 part annual that felt out of place, followed by a 3 part side story. In total, that's 6 issues of the main story followed by 7 issues of other stuff, before going back to the main story. It's such an odd decision and one I can't imagine Roberts and Milne intended. Were they "forced" to do this stuff? I think it would have been far better to spread the side-stories apart so it didn't mess with the pacing so much.

7. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I understand, Shadowplay was mandated in the sense that Hasbro coughed at IDW and said, "neither title seems to be using Optimus Prime, ahem." But nothing else about it.

All three stories are pretty relevant, though. The Scavengers do stay on as MTMTE characters, but more like a secondary cast that we catch up with every so often, not one that (so far) interacts with the main cast. And there are things in that story (like the stuff they find in the symbol ship) that seem, in current issues, like like they're on a slow build to be relevant later. And the DJD are, avoiding spoilers, heavily in focus throughout season 2. Shadowplay and the annual are both world/history-building, which is a pretty heavy focus of MTMTE in general.

8. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    RID & exRID are better than MTMTE, don't bother with MTMTE at all, all you need to read from MTMTE is volume 6

9. Jordland

Considering I mentioned that I already read some of RID and didn't care for it while I've read some of MTMTE and really like it... I'm not sure what the point of your post is.

10. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    if you've already made that choice, what's the point of making a thread about this^^^^^^^^^