2D Artwork: Looking for Hi-Res G1 Style Character Models

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Starganderfish, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NOt sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'm gathering up hi res files of animation styled, G1 Character Model sheets. We've all seen them in various threads, they're often used to nit-pick details of colour, surface detail, and various design characteristcs.
    The ones I'm after look like they've been created using the original scale sheet/character model line art, coloured in with solid toon accurate colours. No idea who the artists who created them is, I have no idea if they were official colour/character guides or are fan created (I think they're fan created given how clean they are).
    I've managed to build up quite a collection off Pinterest, Google Images etc, but there are a couple missing.
    Biggest one (literally and figuratively) is Trypticon.

Others I'm looking for:
    Ratbat (I have one that looks like a texta coloured one)
    The Terrorcons - Thanks to @UTF !!!
    Nightbird
    Beta (Femmebot)
    Nancy
    Divebomb
    There's probably some other's I'm missing but so far these are the obvious gaps
    I've attached examples so folks know what I'm talking about.

Metroplexa.jpg Metroplexb.jpg Autobot X.jpg Arcee.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    I did the Terrorcons a while ago for a personal project. Here you go.

Ark Abominus 01a.jpg Ark Abominus 02a.jpg Ark Abominus 03a.jpg Ark Abominus 04a.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Holy Moly!! Those are fantastic - Absolutely perfect. Do you mind my asking how they were done? Was it based off the scale chart style line drawings and you added colour in Photoshop (or similar) or did you draw them from scratch?
    Still got a few others to track down but those are great!

Thanks so much

• Like Like x 1
  4. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Lineart came from the Ark Compendium, and I colored them in photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Oh, that's brililant. Totally forgot I had a digital copy of that on my computer from ages ago. Flipped through it this morning and I think it will cover a lot of what I'm missing and even a bunch I'd totally forgot about. The line art is a lot cleaner than a lot of the files I've been able to track down, so will be interesting to see how it looks in Photoshop. COlouring should be relatively easy.

Thanks for that!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Thanks to @UTF for the idea.
    I've had a play around with the line art from the digital copy of the Ark I had on hand.
    Grabbed the shot of Daniel in his exosuit from the 2nd Volume. It's actually the only one I have any interest in from that volume as I skipped anything after Season 3. Everything else in that volume isn't really of interest, which is good because the scanned copy I have Volume 2 is pretty poor quality.
    I ended up taking the pic of the exosuit, darkening the lines in Photoshop and then importing into Illustrator and using it's automatic "Outline Trace" function to turn the art into a vector image. That allowed me to enlarge it for colourization. The detail get's a little wibbly wobbly but considering how grainy the scan I was working off of was, it's looking pretty good. Vector paths seem to have a lot of trouble with straight lines, the auto trace seems to want to give everything a bit of a curve, so zoomed in it's a bit wonky - kind of gives it that hand drawn look! Hopefully the other pics will work better as the Vol 1 scans seem a lot higher quality.
    I then used a still from the movie for a rough colour guide and combined with a "gut feel" as to how the colour should look.
    I'm pretty happy with the result for a first run.
    I'll possibly take another run at it, and see if I can get the line art looking better. Here's a side by sde of the artwork before Illulstrator vectorised it. The face suffers the most from the vectorisation process.
    Also need to adjust the dark and light tones, especially around the feet, to get the shading effect right.
    Also need to have a go at a vehicle mode image and one of him outside the exosuit.
    This was fun and not as hard as I expected.
    Daniel Exosuit blue grey small.png Daniel Exosuit raster.png

• Like Like x 1