Looking for a new anime

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Embryoyo, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    and Megazone 23 :D 

2. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Sky girls!

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Only ones I know I could recommend you are...

1) Noir
    2) Cowboy Bebop
    3) Any of the Gundam series
    4) Outlaw Star

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, this one was just from a couple weeks ago, and comes up in the first page of search results on this forum for "Anime":

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/movies-television/246607-any-good-anime-out-there.html

But I'm glad to see you were more specific with what you wanted recommendations for.

Sounds like you'd enjoy FLCL. It's weird and seemingly a little random (I still don't understand it and I've watched the series like 4 times), but very funny and memorable.

All of the Lupin the 3rd titles I've seen to date are entertaining and "funny sh*t" with a hefty dose of sexual innuendo.

I'm by no means an anime authority, so I won't try recommending any others that haven't been mentioned yet. Sounds like you've got plenty to choose from already.

5. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Wow, only one other person has recommended Bleach? It's a must-watch!

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Oh yeah, and you should also check out Burst Angel. That anime is just :bay 

7. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Protip: it's about teenagehood and hormones.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I just remembered some more shows.

Louie the Rune Soldier
    It's a comedy adventure series that takes place in the same world as Record of Lodoss War.

Shin Chan
    Shin Chan is a children's show in Japan. Unfortunately it's filled with some fairly crude humor, so there's no way it could ever be shown over here as a childrens show. So they went and added even more crude humor and turned it into a sort of anime South Park. There's even a Star Wars episode.
    You can see some episodes (including the SW one) on Funimation's site.
    FUNimation Videos > Shows

9. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Thanks for all the replies guys :D  sorry for the late reply... haven't really been on much lately.

I recently got Gantz and watched it all. At first it was like eh, very odd but it kept me entertained. Once I started the 2nd season I started to get into it more. The last few episodes where just crazy. Though I do have a question I know the Manga has a different ending. now is it worth buying the Mangas after watching the anime? Or should I just go to the book store and just glance at the last Manga and see how it ends? :lol 

I do have Bleach I have season 1 - 3 guess I forgot to mention it

I also got Full Metal Panic TSR which I LOVED. Wish it wasn't so short....

Also never been a fan of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo... sadly my best buy is the only place to buy anime and they don't have the best selection so it's also hard to find ones I want. I want to get my hands on Blood + they use to have it they only had one but I didn't havr $100 at the time to get it... + i was hoping the price would go down haha

By the way i heard there might be a live action FMP movie at first I was like holy shit yes! Then I heard zac efron might be in it... i swear to god he better not have to do anything with the damn movie! That would just ruin it...

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    So I watched all of Rahxephon and loved it, now currently 7 episodes into Black Lagoon which is rocking my world. It started off pretty standard but has turned into something real special, I totally adore the characters.

11. brollicon

brollicon Well-Known Member

well u have to watch
    rurouni kenshin
    berserk ( beware the ending will upset u)
    witchhunter robin
    devil may cry

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easily one of the most satisfyingly beautiful endings in anime.

And to those still reading this thread, if you haven't done so already, I highly recommend watching Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. An intense, emotional thrill ride of friendship, intrigue, and revenge. It takes Alexandre Dumas' original novel, and turns it into something chillingly suspenseful. The unique artstyle that Studio Gonzo applied to it is a visual spectacle.

I only just got around to watching it recently, and since, its easily taken a seat somewhere in my top 10.

13. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, not quite the same world, but a similar enough setting. Definitely alot of LOL moments with the silly humor that is an integral part of the series.

When I was midway through the series I was hoping that all the obvious clues they had been dropping would be turned into something that would come up near the end, but that didn't happen. I guess either they were planning on doing a follow-up series/season if it did well enough when it originally aired or it happened much further along in the originating manga.

I tried to get the manga on this one, to get more of it, and that was a mistake. ADV was doing the manga for it and well, it went the way of all the ADV manga - abrupt unscheduled, unpredictable terminations. I haven't been able to find any scanlations on-line, either.

The manga is very much worth it, IMHO. You won't get to see how it ends, though, as the manga is still going in Japan (currently on hiatus for a few months as the creator gears up for his Apocalypse arc).

The third hunt (with the statues and such) was the last part where the anime and manga are pretty much the same. The fourth hunt is totally different in the manga, and the story continues on after that (obviously). Many new characters come in, a couple of old characters return, there's always a body count, and weird new things always happen (and keep the story going).

If you liked the arcs up through the end of the third hunt and aren't looking for a quick resolution to everything, I definitely recommend all of the manga for Gantz.

Yeah, that sounds like a very bad thing.

Honestly, I'm just about never enthusiastic about a live-action version of any anime. I don't think I've seen a single one that didn't turn out badly.

The only one where I think that probably won't be the case is James Cameron's upcoming Battle Angel (we've had the anime and manga here in the US as Battle Angel Alita). Cameron's a damn good writer and director and he's a been a huge fan of Battle Angel for a long time. He was testing the waters for doing this live-action when he made Dark Angel. So, I'm pretty hopeful on that one.

Oh, yeah, BTW, I was trying to think of an anime with the same kind of humor value as Desert Punk, but I can't really recall anything to match up. There's plenty of shows with perverted and/or sexual humor as well as other with crude language humor, even some mixing it up, but none quite like Desert Punk. That one really is in a league all its own, reaching heights and depths that no one manages to bring together quite as well (Punk's libido vs. the Cursed landmark still stands out for me). So, I'm not quite sure to recommend on the humor front that others haven't already.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Just finished watching a show called Gungrave, have to say I was pleasantly surprised :) 

Don't let the first episode discourage you though as it's an episode they show almost near the end of the show which is ******ed to say the least, dont know what they were smoking there :inquisiti  I enjoyed the first half a lot more then I expected, starts out as a pretty good mob story about two punks who work their way up the mob hierarchy. Second half not so much but I wont spoil it as it's worth checking out.