Looking for a new anime to get into!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Soundwave84, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I am a big fan of
    Fulmetal Alchemist, Eureka 7, Blood + and Death Note any suggestions i want to start watching a new series!!!

2. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We're currently watching "Ghost Stories" at our house. It's an okay anime, pretty blah, save for the AMAZINGLY well written dialog they've taken to tounge-in-cheek extreme. Reminds me a lot of Excel Saga in that way. So much American social commentary I bust a gut laughing every time we watch an episode. I think they've even made a comment about Oprah and a Buffet at one point. And bashed Verizon... etc. etc. etc.

Might want to get into Bleach.. seems like a decent popcorn anime, even if it is long.

If you want something deep and haunting... grave for fireflies will rip your heart out from what I hear.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well, it's hardly new (in it's original incarnation anyway) but Hellsing is amazing. The original series was 13 episodes, but it's being remade with a story arc that follows the manga and updated animation. The new run is called the Ultimate Series, and as far as I know volume 4 should be out pretty soon.

Elfen Lied is another great, short series (again only 13 episodes) that involves naked, genetically altered girls that tear people apart with invisible, vibrating, mind controlled arms. It's bloody, moody, and fairly deep, though there are some odd themes woven into the story.

Blue Gender is another favorite of mine. It's a slow starter, but it's a great sci-fi story along the lines of Starship troopers (except man is down to his last legs), and the characters become really well developed as the series progresses. It's 26 episodes and there's also a movie called "The Warrior," which is just a heavily edited 90 minute cut of the entire series.

Gantz is another awesome, dark, action Anime. It's really violent if that's your thing, and it deals with people who "die," then wake up in a sealed room with weapons, suits that grant them super strength, and a mission to kill aliens within a deadline.

Paranoia Agent is another 13-episode series, but this one is a psychological thriller that delves into some deep-ish territory involving a mysterious bat-wielding killer that may or may not be imaginary.

Gungrave is an action anime I got into awhile back that has some great character development, although the story gets kinda strange/corny once in a while.

Reign: The Conqueror is a love it or hate it deal from Peter Chung of Aeon Flux (the anime) fame. It's a sci-fi story based on Alexander the Great, and it's really complex (overly at times), but the art style is unique, and it's got a good story if you can get into it. It's also really hard to find this series. I saw it years ago on Adult Swim and subsequently rented it from a video store, but have only been able to find the first 2 discs to own...they really need to re-release it as a set.

Speedgrapher Is kind of a typical action anime with your anti-hero with random power (this protagonist can kill with his camera), but the characters and story are interesting enough to set it apart. The art style's nice too.

And finally, Guyver. There's a new Guyver series that retells the old Manga storyline and goes beyond it, and it's truly amazing. That said, I love the old Manga series too, mostly for it's low production values and AMAZING theme song.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of comedy anime, but FLCL and BoBobo-Bo Bo-BoBo are both pretty amazing.

Wow...sorry, I just kept looking at my shelf for series I enjoyed most. Hope there's something in there that you like. Let me know. Also, I'm always looking for new suggestions. I've heard alot about Death Note, what do you like about it?

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Death note is amazing..If you like a psychological type anime really gets you thinking. The story is great and the characters are very well thought out. I loved Eureka 7 just an amazing love story. Blood + is also a fav but see i love the vampire type anime like that and Vampire Hunter D which is also freaking amazing. I seen FLCL but it was just like tooo werid the only comedy one i like is Shin Chin very very funny. I have heard about Elfen Lied and i think ia mgoing to start that one!

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you liked Fullmetal Alchemist, then you'll probably like Read or Die, if you haven't seen that yet. First the 3-part OVA series, then the TV series.

Tonally, it shares a lot with FMA. More so in the TV series, it focuses much on the sibling dynamic (although this time, with three "sisters", as opposed to the brothers) and the strong bonds between them, as well as their quirky personalities that create the comic relief. Plot-wise, though, it probably shares more with a James Bond film, with an idiosyncratic twist (most of the conflicts, as the series' title would imply, revolve in some matter around books). Megalomaniac villains with grand schemes for changing the world, stuff like that. Strong character drama and super-slick action sequences, and an awesome soundtrack.

Black Lagoon is another big one. Quite a bit more adult, though, with lots of blood, course language (I've never heard so much F-bomb dropping in my life in the course of a show...), and a bit of nudity. But it's so awesome. An episodic show dealing heavily in existential philosophy, with more Hollywood-style gunplay than you can shake a stick at. It's a shame that Geneon dropped out of the North American anime market before releasing the second season, as this is a show that you need to see dubbed. Not only does it feel more natural in English (since, apart from one character, none of the cast is Japanese. Nor is it set in Japan), but the dub performance is miles ahead of the original, especially Maryke Hendrikse's turn as Revy.

Also, I'm not sure if it fits into your tastes, but another series I'd wholeheartedly recommend you try out is Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. I did a huge posting about it here if you want to read up about it. Sadly, I didn't get much response there, either because not many people here have seen it, or *WALL OF TEXT* :p .

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Let's see:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Fafner
    Please Twins/Teacher
    Chrono Crusade
    My-HiME
    Moon Phase

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    im going to have to check out Black Lagoon and Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha and I watch Ghost in Shell but still not really getting it.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I watch almost no anime--I love animation, but find that I just don't enjoy much anime.

That being said, I'm really digging Bleach. Terribly entertaining and well translated for us Americans. Takes a little bit to get going, but worth it for the incredibly rich backstory and world building.

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Definitely check out Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. [​IMG]

10. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Any limits? Fansubs? Licensed? TV only? :) 
    Shonen? Shojo? Violence? Moe? mecha? Horror? Melodrama? Romance?
    There's so much stuff out there, it's hard to limit it.

11. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Things that most people probably wont suggest, so I will.

- Giant Robo - The Animation: Dramatic robot action and crazy plots at their best. The soundtrack alone makes it a must-watch. You can get the full series on DVD for next to nothing, too.

- Violinist of Hameln: as long as you don't mind watching a slideshow accompanied by awesome music and voice acting with a rediculously epic plot.

- Now and Then, Here and There: Though provoking, gorgeous, and pretty disturbing with such themes as child soldiers, rape, and misuse of military power, but overall HUGELY engrossing and powerful to watch.

- Kino's Journey: Set up as kind of a series of short stories, with each one being another stop in .. well.. Kino's Journey. Very interesting, with some neat twists, and at least one episode where you'll pause it and sit there going "oh my god... no...they can't be...". Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about ...

- Dai Guard: Lighthearted but exceedingly fun to watch. "The Office" meets Giant Robots, with a touch of "Office Space" thrown in.

- Berserk: Not for the faint of heart or stomach, berserk is still an awesome experience. If you like big swords; this is it in its purest, most gory form. Characters that behave like real people instead of anime tropes, politics, betrayal, and a lot of stuff that wouldn't be out of place in a bestselling novel. Unfortunately, the ending is a complete cliffhanger that ties into the manga series, so be prepared to go "Noooooooooo! You can't end theeeeere!" when its all said and done.

- Hellsing: B-movie level plots and voice acting, but an undeniably badass main character and awesome animation. Alucard (worst fake name ever... seriously... how can people get fooled by this stuff?) rules, and you'll love watching him blow up his fellow vampires.

- Cowboy Bebop: Because everyone has to see it some time, and since you didn't put it on your list, I put it on mine. Slightly overrated IMO, but it's still undeniably quality stuff.

- Soul Taker: Soul Taker is an excellent example of taking a simple concept and using style-over-substance to make it almost incomprehensible and rediculous. However, it might be the single COOLEST looking (or at the very least, uniquely stylized) anime ever.

There's more, but I'm trying to keep the list "short" (hah!)

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All you need is Berserk.

13. crasis

crasis Yahk Deculture!

News Credits:
    QFT! I highly second this! BEST series I've seen in 20 years!

14. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Two Words:

Tenchi Muyo...

or One Piece. Interchangeable. If you watch dubbed versions however, avoid the 4kids dub of OP and watch Funi's great dub that is airing now.

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Berserk huh? Ill have to check that one out

16. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ghost Hunt I found this to be an entertaining anime. Its basically about hunting gosts/spirits and trying to either destroy them or encourage them to cross to the other side and stop causing havoc. Has some freaky moments - especially the Doll House arc (although that could just be me - dolls just freak me out!)

Shakugan no Shana I found the first season to be enjoyable. Has some nice action and also more recently a movie that spaned the first six eps of the anime series. Currently SnS Second Season is airing and while it has taken a bit to get going, the last couple of eps have been heading towards the theme/style of the original.

Persona:Trinity Soul Has just started airing (at ep 4/5 currently) It's based off the game (which I haven't played) but so far it has had some nice moments. It looks like it will turn into a nice action anime.

Shigofumi Again, another new series. It focuses on a loli postal worker who delivers letters from the recently departed (called Shigofumi) The fact that she must deliver the letters - at any cost - is sure to spice up the series later on down the road.

Lucky Star This has absolutley nothing in common with any other anime in this thread - but it's take on otaku (the main character being an otaku herself) is very amusing. If nothing else this anime is excellent for watching after a long day's work, or if you are down and looking for something to pick you up. It's impossible not to laugh at it!

Those are just some of my favourites :)  Hopefully you might find something you like in there.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes!

18. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Amen brother Fuzz! I've probably watched the series four or five times and read the manga as far as its been released a few times as well.

However if you ever get the need for some giant robots, Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggaan really is worth watching.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's essentially Seinfeld, with impossibly cute anime girls, and with a major Otaku slant (ie, nothing really happens, and it's just a chain of hilarious conversations).

I'd actually caution against watching it, at least not right away. It definitely helps if you're at least passingly familiar with lots more anime and videogames, especially the other series produced by Kyoto Animation; Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu!?/Second Raid and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Especially Haruhi. With a Haruhi reference pretty much every second episode (and with all of Haruhi's main voice cast returning in some shape or form to Lucky Star), it's not going to be nearly as funny without knowing what they're referencing.

But once you get into the proper frame of mind, it's a blast. It's not necessarily something you need to watch all at once though. As an episodic comedy where nothing really happens, it's a better series to simply dabble in here and there, to take a breather from heavier series.

20. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I probably should've mentioned about the KyoAni series' references - my bad.