Looking for a good Devy & Arcee alternatives

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Obliterator999, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hello guys, I'm pretty new to 3rd party stuff so I'm seeking out your knowledge. I would like a affordable Devastator that's about the size of the regular combiners in the CW toyline, but there's so many and it's sometimes hard to find scale comparisons. The NBK KO Devy seems affordable but maybe a bit too tall (though still slightly smaller than the actual CW Devy)?

And because I do no like Generations Arcee or PotP Arcee, is there a good 3rd party version that could fit well with CHUG figures?

Thanks for the help.

2. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Are you all about the GeeWunning?

If not, there is the beautiful MMC IDW Azalea.

As for combiners nearly the same size as the CW stuff, you can look into TFC Hercules. He’s probably very cheap now.

Edit: Herc may be too big for you actually. Can try MakeToys Giant.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Not really. And wow, that Arcee is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for! Perfect, thanks!

I don't mind Devy being a bit bigger, he's an imposing Former after all, but no CW Devy big. I don't really enjoy toys at that size. TFC Hercules... Isn't that the one with the weird dark green? Oh and I absolutely love MakeToys Giant, but it's a bit pricey. I'll look more into it though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

Try toyworld constructors and toyworld leia. It would work. Azalea is $90 but Leia is $60 anywhere. It's about the same. Both do the same.

5. Honesty

News Credits:
    He’s reminiscent of the “All Hail Megatron” Devastator. May actually be cheaper than Giant, not sure.

And yep. Azalea is lovely.

Don’t think he wants to spend $400.00 on a MP scaled one :)  lol

6. The Smirker

Is he big? Yes. Is he beautiful? Yes. Is he $470? Yes. It's expensive, but he can do anything he wants to with it. They're masterpiece height. He could buy the ko gravity builder, which is smaller, but much cheaper. Azalea is pretty, but isn't really inspired by anything except just the mmc copy and paste formula. Leia is inspired from everything, the alt. mode isn't too good, but why would you want to transform her in the first place, she has swords in the first place dammit. She's $60 while Azalea is $90. With that money you could buy a good rg char zaku for that price.

7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I have both Giant and Hercules. Just my two cents, but Giant looks better combined and is closer in size to the regular CW combiners, but when you take him apart he's more fiddly, with Constructions that are too small, too stylized, and not particularly fun to mess with.

Hercules is a little bigger (and greener), but he's very easy to mess around with. Although the engineering is somewhat simple compared to modern 3P the individual Hercules guys have a solid, chunky feel that reminds me of the older Classics toys. Plus, as others have noted, you can pick him up for pretty cheap these days.

End of the day, I'd pick Hercules for a Devastator to go with the other Combiner Wars guys, over Hercules and the actual CW Devy.

8. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Any opinion on Generations Toys Gravity Builder / NBK TF Engineering? I know it's larger but I might cave in this case simply because it actually has paint app and details something that was sorely lacking on CW Devy... I also really like the individual bots and I might get the cheaper ones just that have them in robot mode.

9. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I mean, Constructor is cool and all, but it's also pretty much the exact opposite of what the OP is asking for.

Can't comment on the KOs, but Gravity Builder is my favorite of the 3P Devastators. He's like a bigger, more polished Hercules combined, and must of the individual robots are really good (I hate their Bonecrusher, and their Hook could have used a little more refinement). Size-wise they're basically Voyagers uncombined, which I think works ok for CHUG, but combined they're roughly halfway between the regular CW guys and CW Devy in size.

10. Honesty

News Credits:
    @The Smirker -

He said he doesn’t want anything as big as CW Devy and doesn’t want to spend a lot of money - and you mentioned a MP scaled $400.00+ figure

Also, MMC Azalea (the deluxe+ one) is based on Alex Milne’s IDW (Spotlight) Arcee. She wasn’t a random figure.

TW Arcee is also MP scaled, and I believe more expensive than MMC’s.

Regardless the figures you mentioned are indeed nice, just don’t like that’s what OP was looking for.

11. Stokerholme

Stokerholme Blestforce

For what it's worth, MMC Azaela is a lot of fun and pretty standard for MMC (which means very good in respect to 3P figures in general). If you can find her at a good price, go for it; I paid between $45 and $60 USD for her (can't remember exactly) and felt like I got my money's worth.

I don't have Hercules or...any other Devastators, to be honest, but I have Maketoys Giant. It's a fantastic figure, probably one of the most solid combined modes ever. Maketoys really made a name for themselves with that set and they've kept that level of engineering for almost every one of their releases since. The individual figures are all great in my mind, too--the weakest part might be their weapons which combine to form Devastator's gun but individually range from OK to not-very-gun-like. I would still recommend MT Giant if you could find it for around $200 to $250 USD, but that might be tricky. I paid $360 for mine when the box set was released.

Also... apparently Honesty joined the forum four years ago yesterday so... happy anniversary? :D 

12. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

If you haven't held a 3rd party devy,
    It doesn't matter which one , you will be impressed

(Not talking about ko's , though, not sure on those)

Just figure what you want to spend and watch a ton of videos

13. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

BBTS currently has Hercules complete for $199. Maketoys Giants sometimes goes on sale for around that price, particularly at TF Source. There is also a cheap knock off of Gravity Builder, might wanna look into that.

14. robh

robh Decepticon

giant is one of my favorite all times. I only sold him because he was too small for my collection. The NBK KO sucks. If you want GT, either buy the GT or the Jinbao as it comes out.

15. The Smirker

School sometimes gets the best of me and requires last minute nights. I think I got 5 hours of sleep. Anyways....just go with iron factory or the impossible toys one. Gravity builder is right if you're okay with ko's.

16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

You need them ALL

16797692_1346092408781197_4975749253874756883_o.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I’m in the same boat. I have CW Superion, Bruticus and Menasor. All with PE add ons and I extend the leg bots to get some additional height. My next big purchase is gonna be a devy. I like Giant a lot, but he’s too small. I’m torn between Hercules and Gravity Builder (or KO). I’ll only display him combined and don’t mind if Devy is about a head taller.

18. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Almost every 3P Devastator figure is going to run you over $200 after tax, running into ridiculous dollars once you get to Toyworld, which is too big based on your parameters anyways. The ones that scale best with the CW figures are Hercules and possibly the Generation Toy figures, provided you're OK with Devastator being a little bigger than the rest of the Combiners. I know I am, as I've always felt that he was supposed to be a primitive, oversized clunker of a combiner, sort of the 1967 Cadillac of Combiners.

So then there's the question of which one is "better". TFC Hercules was a great toy for it's time. It had great engineering and still holds up pretty well appearance-wise. However, the combiner ports aren't that strong. He gets a little floppy and can be difficult to pose. I will say that the individual bots are very solid and fun to transform. If you want a toy with great individual robot/vehicle modes and don't plan to do much with him after the fact, TFC Hercules is always a good bet.

In regards to the Generations Toy and KO:

They're great figures. In hand, they're solid and they look awesome combined. I've never handled the original in full combined mode, but he looks pretty sturdy. He's also super expensive, so I suppose you get what you pay for. Despite what some people may say, the the KOs are also pretty decent. A lot of the criticism comes from the simplified engineering on the NBK green versions (i.e. the one that looks most like G1 Devastator). For example, the NBK version of Scrapper leaves off the ankle tilts. Some 3P snobs will tell you that this sort of thing means the toy is only good for feeding trash fires, but honestly at $15 bucks a pop, you're getting a toy with more articulation that CW Devastator's individual figures. Overall, you'll end up spending $90 or so - way less than a CW Devastator for a toy with arguably better shelf pop that scales the way you want it. The NBK Generations KO is honestly the best bang for your buck. That's the one I would buy if I wanted what you're asking for.

As far as Arcees are concerned, there's not a whole lot of options. I'm assuming you feel Generations Arcee isn't for you because you either feel her headsculpt or her overall design is trash (or both). A few people are suggesting Leia. I have her. Gorgeous figure, great price. She's also way too tall to fit in with a Combiner Wars scaled collection, unless you're into Voyager+ sized Arcee. I may be fudging it a bit, but I think she's even taller than Thrilling 30 Generations Springer. Her Oversized Generations KO counterpart "Alcee" is a little better, probably scaling a little better with your voyager sized figures. That being said, she's still much taller than your deluxes.

If it's just the headsculpt you don't like, the Takara version is a little better. She doesn't look like a terrifying lipless fish woman and goes for paint apps that give her more cartoon accuracy. If it's the overall design you don't like, well... there's iGear's Delicate Warrior and Impossible Toy's Valkyrie for G1 aesthetics. I don't even think they make Valkyries anymore, and frankly she was a terrible toy. iGear's version is better, but she suffers from very old engineering and is super floppy. A little superglue or floor polish on the ball joints might help, but she's got a die cast chest and weak leg joints. She will fall over like a drunken sorority sister at the slightest provocation.

Then there's the Titan Master exclusive. I actually rather like this version. She's built on the arguably overused Blurr mold, but she makes it work and looks aggressive. She'll run you about $60 on average on eBay, although I'm sure someone on the boards will sell her for cheaper.

Finally, Azalea. I have 6 of this mold. She is simultaneously one of MMC's best and worst offerings IMO. In robot mode, she can be a little fiddly. Her neck and head don't always peg well into her chest. Her back kibble can be a little fussy. However, once you get her tabbed together right, she's a gorgeous figure. Very posable and dynamic. Wonderful articulation and her accessories are great. Her big downfall is her transformation. This figure basically requires that you collapse her onto herself and loop parts that don't look or feel like they should loop into other parts. Even when you get her down, it's rare that that I hear of anyone actually getting all of her to seat properly into altmode. She's also about the same price as Titan Master Arcee, give or take about 10 bucks. Again, I think I've seen one of these on the BST boards.

Hope this all helps. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  19. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Couple quick shots of how my CW guys are set up for size comparison.

Attached Files:

20. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should be able to find a used Maketoys Green Giant on this board, ebay, or the facebook groups for around $150-$200. Giant or TFC Hercules are the best value for the dollar IMO. I had Giant, but he was a little too small for me, especially when I put him next to larger MMC figures. They have really nice paint, a lot more articulation, and feel nicer than the CW Devy.

My current Devy is GT Gravity Builder and I love him. He's chunky, has great articulation, and great paint apps. What I like about him is that he can go well with a CHUG collection or can go ok with an MP or IDW collection.

If you really want to go all out, the version that everyone loves is Toyworld Constructor. He's huge (bigger than CW) and has a fantastic build quality. If you're thinking at all about MP combiners like the Zeta toys ones, I would go with him. Good luck with your decision.