Looking for 3rd Party MP Advice

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zappit, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Okay, so I caved on a few MP-10s - I've got the Toon-Color BBTS set on the way, with a Nemesis on preorder. I love the oversized version, and it was only a matter of time until I finally cracked. I also plan on grabbing up some MP KOs, which I hear tend to be better than the originals.

So that brings me here, gang. I want to largely focus on Autobots first, and while I'm well aware of the quality of the Fans Toys Dinobots, those are a little out of the price range. I'm looking for some definitive versions of characters, including...

Jazz
    Springer (leaning towards Allen)
    Sunstreaker
    Hound
    Inferno
    Mirage

So help me out. I know most of these characters have multiple versions out there. Which ones are going to fit best with those MP-10s?

2. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Jazz: Make Toys
    Springer: There are a couple more on the horizon (FT and XTB). I'd wait for them to make a decision.
    Sunstreaker: assuming you don't want to wait for the TT version, I would go with badcube.
    Hound: FT, hands down
    Inferno: I only have the official, so I can't comment on this. Honestly, from what I hear, all the 3P options on this one are winners. Go with whatever one you like the look of.
    Mirage: MMC, again, hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would go with the following:

Jazz - MakeToys Downbeat
    Springer - Open & Play Big Spring or wait for Fans Toys Apache
    Sunstreaker - BadCube Sunsurge or wait for the official
    Hound - Fans Toys Willis or MakeToys Gundog, can’t really go wrong either way
    Inferno - I prefer the official but third party wise probably Ocular Max Backdraft
    Mirage - Ocular Max Sphinx

• Like Like x 3
  4. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently purchased the Open and Play springer. Bang for buck it's really good if you don't mind the face and lack of instructions
    You can go the MP33 KO for inferno

Together these should set you back more than approx $100 US I think. I could be wrong, as I buy in Australian dollars

5. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

As far as Jazz is concerned, I think MakeToys Downbeat is far and away the best MP representation of the character. His robot mode is near perfection, in my humble opinion, with amazing articulation, and a clean design. Car mode has a couple of nitpicky issues, but nothing worse than some of the more beloved official MPs suffer from. We may someday see a better MP Jazz, official or otherwise, but I can't imagine what that might look like. I love him so much, I bought two.

I don't have 3rd party figures of any of the others on your list, but I happen to really like the official Takara MP Inferno.

And I totally get not being able to afford all of the Fanstoys Dinobots, but if you can swing it, you should at least get Grinder. He's Grimlock through and through.

6. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Get Reximus Prime!!
    Get Allen!!!
    Can't comment on any of the other figures though. I can assure you that those two I mentioned are the best bang for any price

• Like Like x 2
  7. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

@Zappit, I'm more of a display in bot mode type of guy. If you're into transforming your bots on occasion, my opinions may not be advised:

• Jazz: None that I want yet. I have read many people enjoy MakeToys Downbeat, but it seems there are lots of customizations involved
    • Springer: None that I want yet. Allen and Apache seem a tad too bulky. I'm waiting on X-Transbots and MMC. If they suck, Apache might be it
    • Sunstreaker: I own BadCube Sunsurge which is a very good figure and decent to transform, but I'd wait on the Takara release
    • Hound: FansToys Willis is absolutely beautiful. With that, I never transformed him and many complained the ankles got very loose after transformation I believe
    • Inferno: If you're into toon accuracy, (Especially in bot mode) Takara's Inferno. Need more details and a nicer alt mode? MMC's Backdraft
    • Mirage: MMC/Ocular Max's Sphinx I think is a great figure which I felt comfortable transforming. However, some other company is bound sooner or later to release competition

8. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Second Reximus too actually. Scales well with MP10 as well as the Gigapower dinobots. Reximus looks slightly too large for FT dinos.

9. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Maketoys Downbeat is where it's at for Jazz, although some people have professed to liking ToyWorld's Coolsville better.

The FansToys crowd is always going to insist that Apache is the best Springer, but I think it looks off in its alt modes (same with ToyWorld's, same with MMC's). I'm not even very keen on Allen's bot mode. X-Transbots looks like the best one, but until they actually release it and we know how the quality is I wouldn't commit to it. But, especially given a limited budget, I'd say that you really ought to give Open & Play's Big Spring a look. The face is kind of goofy, but otherwise I think it does a pretty good job of pulling off all three modes convincingly.

I'm not sure about Sunstreaker. Badcube's Sunsurge looks good, but has a somewhat involved transformation. Omnigonix Spinout is the only option that doesn't use a fake roof-chest, and he's pretty cheap, but has some QC issues that you'll need to address yourself to get a worthwhile figure out of him. Takara's looks like a slightly 'toonier Sunsurge.

Again, at the risk of setting off the FansToys crowd, I love Gundog for Hound. I epecially love him in the toy colors.

A KO of the official MP Inferno is probably the cheapest, but I'm one of those people who think that Takara's recent uber-Sunbow designs don't really work aesthetically with MP-10 or the MP cars. If it were me, I'd go with MMC's Backdraft.

Sphinx is your best bet for Mirage, and I think that's the closest thing you'll see to being universally agreed upon around these parts.

Oh, and I know you said you're focusing on Autobots, but do yourself a favor and check out Maketoys Despotron for Megatron. He's a bit beefier (think less G1 cartoon and more Dreamwave), but that beefiness works well with MP-10, and he's got probably the best transformation of the available Megatron options. As an added bonus, you can pick him up from Maketoys' own store for around $116 shipped.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Y'all sold me on Downbeat. It's ordered. I'll be looking up some of the others.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

With regard to Hound, Willis is the more toon accurate version, Gundog is closer to the G1 toy look.

12. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I don't mind Grimlock being bigger and in comic colors. Actually I keep Mp8 with my Dibots cause he sized up nicely in Dino mode. Reximus is with my main autobot shelf

13. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Jazz-Don't own any version yet. Was wanting Hova but he's like off in an indefinite limbo or sumpn. Been on fence over Maketoys Downbeat or GT's J4ZZ.
    Springer-No help yet again as I'm currently holding out for MMC Saltus.
    Sunstreaker-Badcube Sunsurge or wait for official.
    Hound-Maketoys Gundog
    Inferno-MMC Backdraft ifn ya like bulky but hear official is good.
    Mirage-DX9 Invisible

14. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Yep, but unless you're super gung ho for Sunbow it's not like Gundog doesn't look like Hound. Gundog has a little more stuff on his feet, but from the waist up you're really splitting hairs. I think Gundog is a better toy than Willis; if looking just like the cartoon were all that matters we could just buy statues and call it a day.

15. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

My post was really intended for OP, just to inform him of the difference since he or she seems to be new to 3P. It wasn't meant as a slight to Gundog.

16. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    No worries. I actually dig that we have so many good options. That way our collections aren't all carbon copies of each other's.

17. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. (Pssst...he's crazy) Moderator

My advice would be to run away and don't look back but if you're serious about going down the rabbit hole with the rest of us, then most of these posts are dead on.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say don't make any decisions until after this weekend. This weekend is TFCon in Washington DC. There will be new figures announced which may or may not include any of the ones you are interested in. Go ahead and look into what you want from what is out there, but wait until next week to order anything.

I'll just list all the options with my own opinions, you do ultimately have to get what is best for you.

Jazz - Maketoys Downbeat - the most G1 toon by a good margin.
    ToyWorld Coolsville - very G1 toy, note a bit taller than official and other 3P carbots.
    Generation Toy J4zz - IDW inspired more updated
    There are rumors of others, personally I'm hoping Ocular Max will announce one this weekend, but I have no knowledge of it actually happening.

Springer - UniqueToys Allen - if you want him big this is the biggest and may be available cheap (I haven't looked recently) since BBTS clearanced him
    Open Play Big Spring - started cheap so people jumped on it, no idea the current availability. I don't think it is the #1 best anywhere, but I do
    consider it the best total Springer package (a lot of 2nd or 3rd best in areas)
    FansToys Apache - I think the next one that will come out. FansToys has a solid history, but also some ardent detractors. That said you can
    reasonably guess what you will get based on that history
    Ocular Max (MMC) Saltus - Not as G1 in my opinion but I like the look.
    X-Transbots Virtus (I think)- XTB figures generally look good, but it took them a really long time to start producing figures with any real level of quality. You also
    never know if they will drop another lemon like Ditka. Also I REALLY hate the KFC style hands this will almost certainly have.

Sunstreaker - Badcube Sunsurge - Personally not my favorite but the only available option without major problems.
    Omnigonix Spinout - My preferred choice, but totally screwed at production. It was discounted by retailers before it was even in stock because
    of the quality issues. There are parts on shapeways the designer made to improve it but they aren't cheap.

Hound - FansToys Willis - If you want closer to the toon look. Be aware that transforming the front end requires exact positioning to have room that may not
    be obvious from the instructions. Also some people broke the front bumper transforming it.
    MakeToys Gundog - More of a G1 toy deco, but has both toy dark green and toon light green options available (plus other deco queues). There
    were some issues with shoulders on some of them, but I didn't follow it. Make sure you know what to do before buying.
    TFC Detective - Not a good figure. Everything I've heard is very low quality. Also bigger than MP scale. Definitely watch reviews before considering
    this. I would think it would be cheaper though.

Inferno - MakeToys Hellfire - Very G1 toy in my mind. Personally I hate the faces. Did nothing with the ladder in bot mode.
    Ocular Max (MMC) Backdraft - More heroic in proportions which some people see as wrong for the character. Personally I appreciate the fact they
    took the step to actually hide the arms in alt mode which just gives it more of a "real car" feel to me than MT or Takara.
    Still has the ladder hanging on the back, but collapses smaller, though it gets thin at the front in alt mode. Also getting all
    the tabs lined up in alt mode seems to trouble many, I believe Lazy Aza posted a video to help with that.
    X-Transbots Dante - Stalled in the testshot phase to not go heads-on against the official. Biggest option if you want a large ladder truck. Also the
    most like a real fire truck (at least in my opinion). Same XTB warnings as above.

Mirage - Ocular Max (MMC) Sphinx - Be aware the are several varients, and not all the applicable accessories come with the figure, which you may not even
    want. The first release was a darker blue and had an extra parachute accessory. Later runs were a lighter blue and lacked
    the parachute. A G1 toy style head was included with their Trailbreaker (dark original) and Hoist (light blue Alternative).
    There are also 2 TFCon exclusive versions (Toronto and Chicago) which are mid-cloaking, basically with opposite halves
    being clear plastic.
    DX9 Invisible - Honestly I always thought this looked like an oversized classics Mirage, but some people swear by it so you should take a look and
    decide if it is right for you. There is also a special version of it of all dark blue clear plastic.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Jazz - WAIT (EDIT too late LOL)
    Springer (leaning towards Allen) - I love Allen and I paid full price. FT might be very nice as well. I'll double dip.
    Sunstreaker - I am happy with Bad Cube, but you might want to wait for the official.
    Hound - I prefer the Maketoys design. (The toy deco has a problem with the left(?) shoulder. It needs to have a bit of work done on it, but its not hard. Toon deco doesn't have the issue.)
    Inferno - MMC OM got my pick.
    Mirage - MMC OM is a beaut.

20. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Jazz - You're on board with Maketoys Downbeat. Good on ya.
    Springer (leaning towards Allen) - Wait. 3 are out but like 4 more are coming.
    Sunstreaker - BadCube Sunsurge, although I am waiting on the official. Does Sunsurge match MP-10 aesthetically better?? I think so.
    Hound - Maketoys GunDog - easy choice for me. You want it to match up with MP-10? It does. If you like how it looks, it's a great great figure.
    Inferno - Depends on what look you like, much like Hound. I ended up with Maketoys Hellfire and it's pretty frikken great.
    Mirage - MMC Sphinx