Looking back on the 80s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starforce, May 9, 2019.

1. Starforce

Starforce Banned

As pop culture goes concerning the 80s as a decade

There be multiple tons of imagination for the decade right?

So many wonderful television shows for the time in terms of. Family comedy sitcoms and police procedural drama type shows

So much wonderful music when it comes ti the jazz heavy metal hard rock and rock and roll w3 selection for the time

So many wonderful comic books to enjoy for the time and so many saturday morning cartoons and anime to enjoy for the time both new shows but also old classic shows in reruns from the 60s and 70s during the 80s

So many wonderful movies to enjoy as sci fi and fantasy and action heroes concern the 80s as a decade

Any one get the feeling that the 80s were in a way a pop cultural nexus of imagination

Maybe thats why i love the 80s so much

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Yes. Before all the fake geeks ruined it for us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Starforce

Starforce Banned

I here you

So many remakes and reboots these days nothing original though

God i miss the 80s so @$!#ing much it hurts

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The 80's was time where the people in charge of the media were still willing to take chances, but had enough experience that they were better at picking projects.
    The government lessened the ridged standards they had before on Tv, Toys and cartoons. So people were taking more chances. They were spending big money to compete with their rivals for customers. Cable was becoming a thing, so they needed more programing, and there were more movie studios back then so there was more competition for screen time Home movie watching was becoming standard in homes with most people having VHS players and movie rental stores were popping up all over.

Now we have fewer movie studios and the big ones think they have a magic reusable reboot formula.
    TV now is actually expanding and there are more shows due to streaming competing with each other, but less people who know how to pick and write good stories as the better ones with the knowledge and experience have retired and so you see less chances taken by the mainstream networks, but streaming needs viewers so they are more willing to try something.
    We actually have fewer cartoon outlets now with more channels than we had back in the day with the big 3 and many cartoons competing for air time on only 3 big channels.
    Your more likely to see a marathon of one show over used instead of every half hour being a different cartoon back in the day. Now they try to spend as little as possible and get the best buck they can or way over spend on effects for shows with horrible writing. We have more options now and less people who know what they are doing.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Give me synthesizers and transformers and I'm happy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Being that I was born in December ‘86 I’ll always be an 80s person at heart.

7. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not too big on it. There are a few things I like here and there, but there’s nothing outside of Transformers, G.I. Joe and a couple of Anime OVAs that I really remember from that decade, nor do I care about. The music from that era isn’t that great either, outside of one or two good musicians/composers.
    I really, really dislike the sci-fi movies from that decade. Sci-fi can be hit or miss, but the 80s did a really bad job with that.

8. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

You dislike the Sci-Fi from the 80's????? Alien? (I know June, 1979 but I always lumped it in because it was so close to '80)... Aliens? E.T? Terminator? Predator? Empire Strikes Back? Jedi? Hmmm....

• Like Like x 1
  9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

That's almost grounds for a block Mister or Madame :p .. The 80's was just about the last decade people actually tried to create unique music and those days are long long gone and I miss it a lot.

As for the movies I'll toss a few more in there.. there is only The Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home (Trek IV), Escape from New York, The Thing, Back To The Future, Robocop, Road Warriors, Tron, They Live, Flash Gordon, Dune, The Fly, Explorers, 2010, Bill and Ted, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, The Abyss, Scanners, Outland, The Stuff, Enemy Mine, Re-Animator, Alien Nation, Weird Science, Heavy Metal, The Running Man, Ghostbusters 1 and 2,

And Blade Runner, probably the single best Sci-Fi movie that will ever exist... at least in what's left of my lifetime, there bloody well isn't anything going to top it I can foresee in the next two decades.

It's also quite humorous how the looks back the 80's fashion on TV and youtube are WAY overblown on how crazy it just was.. I wore jeans and t-shirt like every other normal chap.

(I however didn't notice before posting this was a ZZoooombie thread.. fitting for the time of year I suppose.)