Lookin Back at Armada...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Clutchburn, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's why I find it silly when people go off saying how things "suck" and all that, they simply don't like it, but it doesn't mean that it's just absolutely terrible, because without a doubt, someone else is going to love it, you know? I wish people wouldn't be so insulting and overly judgmental just because they don't like something. A nice, thought out evaluation is way better than the "THAT SHIT SUCKS" type attitude.

We're in totally different places opinion wise and that's cool.

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I thought Armada was a good cartoon and had some great toys. Armada finally brought back something the Transformers world was missing, that is Transformers that are easy and quick to transform from one mode to another. That adds a lot more play facter than comlpicated transformations and realistic alt modes. Could be why the Armada line sold so well.

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The Armada toys were cool, I HATED the cartoon though (in fact I feel it's safe to say the worst TF toon ever). The only thing I hated toy wise was Prime's super mode, but his normal mode was awesome, Megatron was sweet, we got Unicron finally, etc. I never bought a Tidal Wave and Overload and still regret not snagging them up when I could.
    I liked Armada because the robots looked like I feel they always should have, big bulky war machines. I liked the minicons (in toy form only really) and how they could attach into arm cannons and other weapons, it brought me back to my childhood with Targetmasters and Headmasters, although I never bought Minicons by themselves.
    Energon came out and I only bought Rodimus, Ravage, Shockblast, Divebomb and ARCEE!! for their G1 value. I lost interest with the toys this line and I hated fatty Prime, by Cybertron has me back on board, though the cyber keys are kinda goofy.

4. Mrdrea

Mrdrea Deceptijet King

I liked it for the most part.

Armada Cheetor brought my wife into the collector world and Megatron renewed my love for the bots.

5. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    IMHO I think Armada was a great toyline, very nice alt. modes and great play value.
    I think most of the Energon toys are OK at best.

6. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Well-Known Member

Ebay:

7. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I'm pretty big on articulation (not that I need tons, but LROP caliber without the twisting waist should be the minimum for deluxe and larger toys), and for the most part prefer realistic-looking alt modes, so right off the bat Armada has an uphill fight to win my love. But there were some aspects of the line that I really did like a lot. Unicron is much, much better than E. Omega Supreme and Cyb. Starscream, the minicons are genuinely cool as toys (if not as a 'power-up' concept), and Tidal Wave is still one of the coolest big, but not too big, guys around - and though I might be in the minority here, I prefer his Armada colors to his MD or Energon colors; if only he had knees.

The line had a great deal of effort put into it, it was the first line since the 80's where Hasbro actually saw the potential for a cash cow and finally put TF's on one of the front burners again. And there were some very cool ideas to come out of Armada, which were either perfected or improved upon in later lines. But if I had to pick one word to exemplify Armada, it would be 'almost'.

Armada Megs COULD have been simply amazing were he to have working hips, knees, a swivel above the elbow and a cover for the front center section of the tank that can act as a shield in robot mode (an oversized KO did a very good job implementing this concept, which made the tank look infinitely better than the official 'H'-shaped version).

Jetfire could have been excellent as well. His shuttle mode was very, very good (looked awesome and had cool cargo bay section), his size was ideal, his robot mode looked very cool, his arm articulation was fine, but the leg articulation and unstable back (damn thing kept separating) just killed it for me. He could have been amazing, and with, or even without a remolded head, he would have been a Universe Jhiaxus that every fan would have bought.

Wheeljack. I'm a huge Sideswipe fan (the real Sideswipe), so when pics of this appeared on the net I immediately ran out and bought red paint and epoxy to fill in the chest gash. When I got it I loved the build, the weapons worked for me, and the face was dead-on accurate, but the articulation was just too bad. Perhaps that's just me, but for Sideswipe I really wanted it to be a very good mold, and it just didn't stand up to the likes of Mach Alert. Anyway, I'm now counting on the upcoming 'Classics' line to get me what I've wanted for years.

Prime, well the large Prime stunk. Not going to point out its flaws as it really never came close to being a good toy in my opinion, and was quite frankly a waste of $40. Supercon Prime was very good. It wasn't the 'greatest toy ever', the impression given by many Armada fans at the time, but it was good. If only the alt mode reflected something a little more realistic, the windows weren't painted, and while it wasn't a drawback, the minicon-activated gimmick certainly wasn't any good.

Scavenger had an extremely cool alt mode, and his robot mode LOOKED good. But again, the articulation ruined it for me and the stomping gimmick did absolutely nothing to change that.

Well, I don't want to do all of the toys, but this should give an idea of what I mean by 'almost'. And I certainly disagree that Armada toys are better than the lines that followed. A. Hotshot was a waste of $10, E. Hotshot was alright, C. Hotshot was actually pretty good. And Crosswise blows all previous deluxe cars (excluding the Mach Alert mold), away. But now that I'm getting what I want from the current and future lines, I guess I can look back on Armada toys with some degree of appreciation. I'll always hate the cartoon though.

8. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

The cartoon was pretty terrible. I tried to watch it again a while back, but it didn't get any better with time. I never got any of the toys(except for Unicron, but I don't really consider him an Armada TF. He's just Unicron.). I would like to see minicons return in a more Headmaster/Targetmaster fashion. Just out of curiousity: If I decided I wanted to get a few Armada TFs, which would be considered the best?

9. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I liked Armada alot. Megatron, Supercon Prime, Wheeljack and Hoist were some great toys. Even thought these were bricks, Scavenger and Overload were cool as well. The cartoon, eh, I didnt like it but I didnt bitch about it. The Minicons were cool to even though some of the gimmicks just got in the way.

10. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would vote for , Megatron, Tidal Wave, Starscream, Jetfire, Scavenger , Bendy Prime, and all the minicons!

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I still really, really enjoyed he final few eps of the cartoon. I loved Armada Screamer, he was actually a character; even with dubbing problems. I mean, I loved his fight with Galvatron, it was decently written(amazingly written compared to the eps before it) and he died. That was the end of Starscream, he died while having a sword fight. That's pretty f'ing cool.