Lockdown's creator disliked his AOE portrayal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Transformers: The Last Knight / Trivia - TV Tropes

"Derrick J. Wyatt, the art director of Transformers Animated was not pleased with the take on Lockdown in Age of Extinction (which is understandable considering he's one of Lockdown's creators)."

This is unusual. AOE Lockdown had a cool factor (visor, weapons, Lambo) and a piratical theme (using a stolen starship, voiced by a Black Sails actor). I don't understand what he actually disliked.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Probably because it wasn't %100 his version.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Derrick J. Wyatt is just jealous and butt hurt and ungrateful. Plus, he's rude to fans who like it also as well as Animated like the movies. Don't believe me? Check his Twitter.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde The dreaded

News Credits:
    He's allowed to have his opinion. I'd be interested to hear what specifically he didn't like about the portrayal (or maybe he just doesn't like it and doesn't have a specific reason, which is also fine.) Some of Wyatt's reasoning has been confusing to me in the past, as I've brought up before, he claimed to hate Drift (Which I think he may have only been doing because that was the popular opinion at the time, but I could be wrong.) and Beachcomber, yet the character in Transformers Animated called "Prowl" was like a fusion of them both. Maybe he's saying this because hating on the movies is the more popular opinion? Just a thought.

Shane McCarthy said he didn't like how Drift was portrayed in Age of Extinction and even called it racist, I strongly disagree about it being racist but he's allowed to dislike it if that's how he feels, same with Wyatt.

To their credit though, Lockdown could have been a lot worse. I feel like they did a decent job portraying him in a similar manner to how he is in other fictions.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Ha. I bet it's because it's not 100% like the animated one. ;) 

I thought it was a great take on Lockdown. He was creepy, cool and badass.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Sixshot93

News Credits:

Don't get me wrong. Wyatt and McCartney can say whatever they like. But Wyatt in particular when a user disagrees with them, he's snobby towards them. So he'll respect those who like Animated but not fans who like both Animated and the movies?

Wyatt is delusional if he genuine believes that Michael Bay, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Paramount are pissing on his legacy. Same goes for Shane McCarthy.

I have lost respect for Derrick J. Wyatt.

• Like Like x 3
  7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    He also doesn't have much nice things to say about Hot Rod in The Last Knight either from what I've heard. It feels pretty ironic that the hate towards Movie Lockdown and Movie Hot Rod is coming from someone who's responsible for many of the drastic changes in Animated character and design wise who aren't much like their G1 versions at all. I mean he can think whatever he wants on the movies but it's like he has a double standard going on which he's ok with doing drastic changes but gets enraged when someone else does it.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Sixshot93

News Credits:
    Exactly. Wyatt and McCarthy are behaving childishly about that.

Wyatt and McCarthy,

It's one thing to disagree with one's interpretation. It's another to behave in a pathetic manner about it. Give credit where it's due sometimes.

Signed,

A fan who's lost respect for you both

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

I think they're just both upset that the movies made a superior version of the original. As for the Hot Rod thing I have no idea what he's complaining about. His version was on screen for two minutes max. It's not like he was important or anything.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

NOBODY liked Drift back then, since the character was hyped as being a big deal who would be a 'Wolverine' type individual who would prove instantly popular...and ultimately didn't do much of anything in the comics to warrant the hype. It wasn't until Roberts got a hold of the character in the comics and actually gave him depth that opinion turned around.

And how exactly is Prowl a fusion of them both? Drift didn't exist when Animated Prowl was conceived and even then only has vague similarity after the Samurai Armor upgrade - by default Prowl is a ninja with his agility and throwing stars. And Beachcomber was merely a pacifist - whereas Animated Prowl is dead-on G1 Hound.

Plus, he kind of has ground to hate on AoE Lockdown, because it is a cut-paste introductory plot (not-Decepticon going after Prime) from Animated that throws away the actual importance of Lockdown. He only shows up once a season (+ an offhand unnamed mention by Swindle in SUV) but he is unquestionably the most critical character of the entire series. Every single major event that involves the Autobot-Decepticon conflict other than the AllSpark was entirely his doing. He betrayed the Autobot ninja school, killing Yoketron (which ends up putting Prowl on the space janitor team), stealing the protoforms (Starscream clones, Sari, Lugnut Supremes), the entire incident with Arcee (traumatizes Ratchet, steals the EMP, unintentionally sets it up for Ratchet to become Omega's mentor and ultimately how THEY end up on space janitor duty), then later indirectly helps Ratchet come to terms with that incident (+ Ratchet gets the EMP back), shoves a bunch of Decepticons on the EG ship because Sentinel hired him (which leads to Prowl getting the permanent samurai upgrade AND resolution to his trauma at the hands of Lockdown along with recovering Yoketron's helmet AND mastering Processor over matter), and pretty much every single plot element in the last two episodes of S3 are in place because Lockdown set them up, almost entirely by accident.

You do realize AoE Lockdown was not actually the first Movie Lockdown, right? And that the first one actually looked more like the original?

Ironically...you're actually wrong in the case of Hot Rod. He's one of the most faithful designs of the show.
    [​IMG]

Not really seeing how it's a double standard that of the two Movie Lockdowns, the one that made it to screen looks nothing like the namesake and has none of the critical plot backstory, and that his Hot Rod actually looks more like the original than the massive change to a black Bumblebee model revision.

You must have missed how scores of users here exploded in rage when the movie Hot Rod design was revealed to be little more than a modified Bumblebee robot painted primarily black - even had the same signature elbow guards.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Shrek = sOGREat! Veteran

This was noted shortly after Transformers 4's release.

As someone who likes both Animated and AOE Lockdown the creator of Animated Lockdown is certainly entitled to his opinion. Having said that, I respectfully disagree with him. I think AOE is a wonderful tribute to the Animated character for a number of reasons. I already have a thread about why AOE Lockdown is so interesting as a character here: Lockdown: More Than Meets the Eye

AOE Lockdown is a neutral bounty hunter. He enjoys being a bounty hunter ("As much as I've enjoyed the hunt, I won't miss your wretched planet"). He transforms from a car into a towering robot. He has a run-in with Ratchet. He has a hook. Lockdown being a neutral bounty hunter working for the Creators who shares their ideology is a great tribute to the original character IMHO.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Autobot Burnout

Y'know, instead of just wondering why he dislikes AoE Lockdown and being quick to judge him on a few basic statements that I'm sure many of you would easily see come from me at times, has anybody actually tried just contacting him and asking why he doesn't like the guy?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Galvatross

Galvatross Shrek = sOGREat! Veteran

First off, since when is disagreeing with someone the same as judging someone? I'm certain there has never been a human being on Earth that I have agreed with on everything, but that does not mean I judge them for disagreeing with me.

Second of all, I know he does not like the design. I don't know what he thinks about the characterization.

Third, I don't have Twitter, and I am not going to sign up just so I can ask him a question about Lockdown.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    A little late in the game for this trivia.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobot Burnout

This thread, apparently.

Because apparently it is now childish for grown men to say they dislike things on Twitter and do absolutely nothing else to protest the thing they disagree with.

It's the vitriol in this thread over the guy saying he hates AoE Lockdown and how everybody is saying how DJW is "wrong" without even bothering to understand his point of view.

Exactly - we don't know the full story so telling a man off for vague statements isn't exactly being fair to the guy.

I don't think many people here have one, either, so just attacking the guy because of one tweet about how he doesn't like one character is kind of judgemental, no?

Please note I'm not directing this at you, it's just what the overall thread seems to have quickly become.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I don't entirely disagree with him about the Hot Rod design, I hope that is a really early not finalized design... It's kind of hypocritical of him bitching about name slaps when Animated is guilty of it too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

I guess I had better things to do than explode about a design that isn't my favorite.

• Like Like x 2
  18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The reason I say it's a double standard because Wyatt himself made characters that pretty much looked and acted nothing like their G1 version or any past version before Animated at all.

TFA Bulkhead is nothing like Energon Bulkhead
    TFA Jetfire and Jetstorm are nothing like their past versions
    TFA Prowl is nothing like G1 Prowl

Even most of the characters that do look like the G1 versions have personalities that are different in some ways and some even have completely different so yeah Wyatt's just as guilty about doing things that people despise Bay for doing as well so unless Wyatt goes into further depth about why he has such a huge problem with AOE Lockdown he's going to appear as being a hypocrite to some people in that regard. As for your comment about AOE going against Lockdown's importance to Animated well this isn't Animated. The movies just take things form other series for their stories like what TFA did during it's heyday. Even if that wasn't the case,people can argue the same thing about how Ironhide isn't Optimus oldest friend in TFA.

• Like Like x 7
  19. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

I'm going to have to agree with Galvatross and kaijuguy19, while I love Animated, Wyatt should have given more reason besides the "They're different from mine." reason when he had done the same thing with Animated. He is free to dislike movie Lockdown and Hot Rod but he should have really a better reason.

It's much like in the past when I complained how much I disliked the fact how different Optimus was portrayed from his G1 counterpart in the movies only to realize how hypocritical that was because I loved Animated Optimus and he was hardly like his G1 counterpart. That's why I pushed that complaint aside and decided to judge Movie Optimus on his own merits. That way I was able to come up with both praises and critiques for the character that didn't come off as hypocritical while only occasional drawing comparison to his other counterparts.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jazzmustlive123

Jazzmustlive123 jazz died thinking he's the coolest

The one thing I didn't like about lockdown was that they killed him off so quickly.