Lockdown: True to the character? (Some spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chopperface, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Some people I've seen have said AOE Lockdown is a nameslap, mostly thanks to his design, before and after the film's release. Derrick J. Wyatt himself doesn't like AOE Lockdown thanks to his design not bearing much similarity to Animated Lockdown, and feels he isn't true to the character thanks to his design.

The original:
    [​IMG]

AOE:
    [​IMG]

Here, I present my argument that AOE Lockdown is true to the character, and invite your thoughts and discussion.

I was very happy that Lockdown was the big bad of AOE, since he was an original character from Animated who was a terrific character at that. I was slightly disappointed he didn't have a design more evocative of his Animated counterpart, but I grew to love it nonetheless. After all, change is good. A character shouldn't look exactly the same in every single continuity, otherwise the character becomes bland and beaten like a dead horse. That's a complaint I had with say, Prime Optimus. The ROTF design was wicked cool, and would've looked amazing on the big screen for sure, but I'm happy they brought something new to the table for AOE Lockdown.

When we actually met him in the film, I felt he was very true to the character. He was cruel, maybe moreso than the Animated character, having no compliments for his allies or potentially worthy opponents. He was very professional, willing to barter with whatever species he came across. The only side he really served was his own; he didn't give a shit about the war, and outright decried it as a fight between "little children". In my opinion, this is very in line with the Animated incarnation. If anything, the AOE Lockdown was even more cruel than the Animated one. A new addition to him was that he saw himself as a sort of balance-keeper in the grand scheme of the universe. He knows he is not the center of the universe, and informs Cybertronians and humans alike that they are not either; and also speaks of a cosmic balance he seeks to correct. Which is the reason for why he looks down on pretty much everyone, including his employers. I did miss Lance Henriksen but Mark Ryan did a good job nonetheless.

Thus, I declare that AOE Lockdown was very true to the original character, while simultaneously bringing new personality traits and a new design to the table, helping to add to the rich history this relatively new character has.

Your thoughts?

2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Seriously? He's like the most faithful design since Optimus and Jazz. He has all his signature elements like his hook, spikes, skull face, car alt mode. What did he expect, an exact copy?

EDIT: Oh shit, he even said Aventador is the worst car mode. :lol  Butthurt much?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

*OP picks a picture with Lockdown's visor on as argument for a different design*

You should use a better picture.

4. Dillatron

Dillatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of good points here. While I admit it may have originally been a nameslap they have decided to incorporate a few aspects of the character from his original version including his hook, scavenging nature, bounty hunter title and non-allegiance to either Autobot or Decepticon.

Though in truth the very first designs that were done for Lockdown had his character as a Frankenstein esque figure where he'd scavenge aspects from his enemies. Which is an aspect that wasn't really included in either version - however the design of the animated version seemed to hint more at him improving his body via augmentation.

While film Lockdown is crueller and more evil than Animated Lockdown - he lacks the 'devil may care' attitude that the Animated version has and thus his character doesn't feel the same. While he does dismiss the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons he never has fun in his torture of the Transformers or in his killing of Lucas.

Animated Lockdown however enjoys himself and what he does - he would have driven through Lucas's burning body and made a joke. He was slick and upgraded himself for almost every situation.Either way I'm personally rather pleased with Lockdown's design, though I question why he has a human alt-mode considering he hates them so much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Where are Derrick. J Wyatt's thoughts on the matter? Source?

Interesting. I thought Lockdown was probably the most well done adaptation of a character in the film series yet. He's a little less a businessman in the film and his "obsession" with mods was far more hinted at then stated, but either then that he was pretty faithful, or as faithful as what would make sense in the Movie universe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube (Legacy):
    I concur with OP, this is probably one of the most faithful Movie interpretations yet. Doesn't mean he's spot on to the original, and he doesn't have to be. But the guy I saw on the screen was worthy of the name Lockdown. I really feel like that's as close to a Movie version of a character being the original as we'll ever get.

8. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

i would be pissed if i was simon furman

9. King Kaiser

King Kaiser BEARS!!!!

He looks a lot like Animated Lockdown. Like Red Goblin stated, he has the spikes, hook, skull face, etc. The only major difference in look is color and vehicle mode.

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no problem with the design of Lockdown.

11. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I think animated Lockdown looks dumb

12. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    How do you feel about Lockdown being chosen for the main villain of Transformers 4?
    I personally love the nod to Animated with his selection!

It's an honor to have Michael Bay completely disregard a character I helped to create, and to nameslap the character's name onto some hideous grey blob of nothing.

Source: Ask.fm - Derrick J. Wyatt | ask.fm/DerrickJWyatt

-------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Mr. Bay, This won't do at all. Please fix it up, post haste. Love, Derrrrrrrr

how's it going?
    Lockdown has a face gun :( 
    is that lockdown? I couldn't tell
    That's what people are saying. And if it's totally unrecognizable as Lockdown, it probably is... He has the worst car mode ever too.
    Though his head turning into a sniper rifle seems like a Lockdown thing to do!
    NO.

Source: Derricks Twitter - https://twitter.com/DerrickJWyatt/status/431300488060223489

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  13. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I think all the characters from Animated look dumb

14. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    To be fair, most of those questions were either straight after the first trailer when we didn't know anything about movie Lockdown or a few days before the movie's release. Post-movie, his opinion just seems to be "meh".

He does legitimately seem to dislike the gun-face mode though, but I actually liked it.

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I guess people can stop saying "gunface is totally something Lockdown would have."
    (I liked it too, and I usually have my Kreon Lockdown with the gunface)

And "he's pretty faithful for a Movie bot" isn't exactly saying much. I mean, this Lockdown doesn't have trophy parts, nor any green accents, nor a white skull face with black lines, nor a car mode that could kill you, nor spikes (I dunno what you guys are seeing, I can't find any spikes on him), nor really any of Lockdown's trademark features. Sure, he acts like Lockdown, but he doesn't look it.

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Nor the coattails, which to me were his most memorable feature.

I think the spikes they refer to are on his shoulders. His distaste for gun-face mode is suprising though because I actually do think its something Lockdown would do if he ever brought in a Transformer with a gun-face for a mod. Its not that far off a hand that swaps into a Chainsaw, really. But I guess if the creator says he wouldn't, then he wouldn't.

17. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

personality wise, he matches up decently to IDW Lockdown, although I kinda feel like IDW Lockdown is a ghost of his animated self (granted he's not really in very much and doesn't get a lot of page time to begin with.)
    Character design wise, I guess he matches up to the various versions of Lockdown as much as movie megatron matches up to other versions of megatron... but he doesn't really scream Lockdown to me. His face is really the only thing that resembles the character, but the "skull" aspect gets lost as the white parts are so greyed out they blend with the black. He lacks his other versions face tattoos, and most other versions of lockdown super accentuate his jaw (dude's got a jaw Ron Perlman is jelly of.) The rest of his body doesn't really match up well either (the movie version seems overly stocky while animated, his toys, and IDW are much more lanky. Movie version also lacks Lockdown's distinct neck shape that's present in every other iteration of him.
    The hook is a huge missed opportunity as he only ever has it out briefly and no more than any of his other hand weapons. (other big missed opportunity is that giant scar across his chest would have looked awesome if it actually cut through a con symbol-its a tiny detail character detail that adds a lot of implied back story.)
    His car mode feels pretty random and ill fitting to the character. It looks fast but also flimsy and weak, a play thing for some rich yuppie rather than a combat oriented bounty hunter. Its not as aggressive or fitting as his Animated or RotF toy's punked out muscle car (the mad max-esqe nature of those always reminded me of the demonic bounty hunter from Raising Arizona or Star War's Boba Fett's armor (which had tons of cobbled together, worn out items like gadgets, pelts, and symbols-it tells a story and sells the character without him really doing much.) His movie sport's car body just seems too clean.
    Again- he's not the worst movie adaptation (looks at starscream...) and kinda par for the course with movie designs but I wouldn't call him a good adaptation either. Worse, the character design when looked at on its own and not as an adaptation, comes off as simply unfun and a tad bland.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I love Derrick, he's actually a good friend of mine, but I think he's off regarding whether Lockdown is true to the character or not. I just hope I don't bring an angry mob upon his Ask.FM, he gets plenty of angry/annoying/irrational questions as it is.

And OptimusJet, I was actually the one who sent that first question via anon, and a recent question about Lockdown being true to the character.

19. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

I think this guy should get over it he created a character for an existing mythos. If I created a new jedi it would be up to Lucas/Abrams how or even if that jedi made its way onto the big screen not me

20. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow that dude hates Bayformers. I think movie Lockdown is one of the best representations of past characters we've ever gotten.