loading video files onto a 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by transtrekkie, Jun 18, 2014.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer video files like MPegs, Avi, etc... directly to the hard drive of an xbox 360 and have them be watchable? I tried loading some onto a flash drive, which I formatted first, but the 360 won't see the files on the flash drive. I had windows media player set up on the 360 to access my computer wirelessly but that doesn't seem to be working anymore as it freezes up whenever I get into the folder with the video files in it. It's enormously frustrating and I figure there's got to be a way to do it. Has anyone else wrestled with this?

2. OptimusPrime86

OptimusPrime86 The Nooch

Unless things have changed, your external hard drive / flash drive needs to be formated fat32 for the 360 to read. Even then, I don't think you can directly transfer a video to the Xbox hard drive. Before I sold my 360 and made the jump to PC a few years, ago, I had a large fat32 external hard drive with all my videos on it. I just kept that constantly plugged into my 360.

But again, I was doing this years ago. Without researching on Google, I', not sure if there are better solutions.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. transtrekkie

I do have a formatted flash drive but the 360 wouldn't recognize the videos on it. Thanks for the info, I'll do some googling and see what I can find out.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I tried and tried to dot his and could never get it to work right. I finally gave up. Something that is so easy on my PS3 was so convoluted on my Xbox.

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

It's hardly convoluted, you can't. The only videos that can be stored on Xbox 360 internal storage are ones that you download from XBL. You can stream videos from any PC on your network, and it can play from external storage devices. But you can't actually move them onto the 360.

6. transtrekkie

Well that's good to know. I tried plugging in a flash drive, but it couldn't find the videos, do they have to be a certain file type or format? The other thing I noticed is that when I formatted the flash drive, I formatted the whole thing, but that took up all the memory on the drive. The 360 allowed me to determine how much space I want to have formatted for use on the xb, but if I select the whole thing, it eats up all the memory and there's no room left for the video files.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yes it can only see certain file types. WMA, WMV, and maybe AVI. And even then if the codec isn't right it won't play.