Live-action Full Metal Alchemist

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Mar 29, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    21-Year-Old Actor Atomu Mizuishi Confirmed to be Voicing Alphonse in Live-Action "Fullmetal Alchemist"

Director Fumihiko Sori says, "Before the filming started, I was thinking about another actor to voice the CGI Al, not him. But as the filming went on, I started realizing his acting as a stand-in was so impressive. Especially when we filmed a quarrel scene, I saw an exquisite combination occurred between Yamada-kun (as Edward) and Mizuishi-kun, then I decided to cast Mizuishi-kun as the voice of Al. So this exceptional promotion was won by his own ability. Kugimiya-san, the original voice actress of the character in the anime series, already saw the live-action film. As well as the film itself, she highly praised the Mizuishi Al. I went over the rainbow with Mizuishi-kun, and was convinced that my decision was not wrong."

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Is The Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Movie Any Good?

"As with all live-action adaptations, it's been changed (and in some ways compromised) but in my estimation, it captures the themes and feelings of Arakawa's epic."

The story of the film covers about a third of the manga's story, up until the incident at Laboratory #5. It is a faithful adaption, but there are differences. For example, there were some characters who did not appear at all in the film (though saying who would spoil things). Also, the terrible day where Ed and Al lose their body parts is shown periodically throughout the movie via a dream rather than in the beginning. A grown Ed is shown losing his leg and going through all of the horrors of that day. (I believe this is because it would be difficult for a child actor to properly portray such intense emotion.) But most notably, what happens at Laboratory #5 in the movie is different from the manga. This is because Director Sori wanted the film to be a standalone movie. And in order to do this, he needed to change some things around, so that the film felt complete at the end.

Was it a satisfying ending? Yes and no. It did wrap things up nicely, but, since there are still two thirds of the story left to tell, the plot obviously isn't finished. Another film or two would definitely be needed to give the fans a sense of closure. However, as a standalone movie, it seems to end at the right place.

Sounds like it'll be okay.

• Like Like x 1
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It releases tomorrow.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  10. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I need someone here be my canary in a coalmine before I will sit down and watch this.

11. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Finally got around to watching it since Netflix had it on their streaming app...

So that was a thing, I don't really watch live action anime adaptions I learned that the hard way with The Last Airbender & Dragon Ball Evolution but I thought I'd give it a try. Let me just say firstly that the Homunculus and Hughes were the best characters done in this, Hughes was done right I found the guy to be quite charming. Lust is well, Lust, damn was the woman they got to play her was beautiful and I liked Envy too but Gluttony, he was not intimidating heck there is one scene I was straight laughing my ass off at how goofy it was. They also gave Shou Tucker a much bigger role in this then in the animes, heck up till Nina I thought they would be going for a pretty faithful adaption but man was I disappointed at the lack of Scar heck I don't recall them mentioning much of the Ishbalan Civil War.
    The Nina part though, damn still gets me even here.
    Get this they still through in the short jokes they make about Edward but I swear the guy they got playing him did not look that short in fact he looked average height it made no sense to through those jokes in.
    Also I felt like unless you liked the characters in the anime you probably wouldn't care about what happened to them here except Hughes of course IMO, I mean I guess I was a bit worried for Maria Ross at one point? They also did an all right job displaying Mustang as a bad ass I mean at the end. There is no Bradley & Father, sadly no Armstrong (which I tell you is a crime on the Armstrong name), and nobody from Mustang's team that isn't him or Hawkeye. Heck I felt they were trying to hint at a romance between the two but it felt forced and out of place here. Instead we get a new character named Hakuro and boy is he a disappoint me, you can tell what they were going to do with the character straight from the beginning.
    Some of the effects were passable, the effects used on the final fight though were laughable but I liked what they did with Al's armor. I wish they did more Alchemy but I guess there was a budget? You know honestly at times I felt like I was watching a fan made video or something, the acting wasn't always that great except Hughes. Did I forget to mention that Hughes was great.

Overall as a movie its not bad, its passable. As an adaption of what in my opinion is one of the greatest anime (at least Brotherhood)? Now thats where the cracks really show, they get the characters looks right but fall short at executing a decent story (or attempting to retell the original story even).

12. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:

Sounds about what I was expecting. I'll give this a shot this weekend.

13. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The oddest thing that bothered me is they blonded Ed and Hawkeye's hair yet Winry's actor didn't have her big long light blonde hair that was lighter than Ed's in the show.

I seen plenty of alchemy in the movie, I've seen the series I never remember them just doing it out of the blue.

I didn't expect them to cram everything into one movie the girl and the dog thing is depressing as ever.

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I just looked this up, can't get passed the first scene. Why is there no proper English Dub? There is an option for English but instead of only getting dialog there's a robotic voice describing everything on the freaking screen and the character voices are just as robotic. Are there any plans for an English dub or is this really it?

I would rather watch L Saves the World again than to sit threw this thing, I hate that movie but at least it has a well done English dub.

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  16. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. TiedmanKillz

TiedmanKillz Fuck Nova.

I like FMA, but it doesn’t need the live-action treatment. Frankly i wonder why these movies weren’t made sooner.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits: