List of name slaps in the movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jungle penguins, May 16, 2024.

1. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Voyager Class

News Credits:
    Besides Bonecrusher, I feel hard pressed to call ANY of the 07 cast members listed here nameslaps. I detest the derogatory connotations of that word. Seriously, so what if a character isn't EXACTLY like the version of the character conceived in the 80s? I'm still struggling to understand your definition of a "nameslap" based on the OP, but technically speaking if your criteria is just "this bot isn't exactly like the way it was in G1", these fellas would ALL be nameslaps:
    IMG_1911.jpeg IMG_1910.jpeg IMG_1909.jpeg
    What does it even mean to assign a character's name at random? Why is Brawl, who as Johnson the Third said, is a green tank Decepticon just like the G1 version of the character a nameslap but not Jazz who is not only not a Porsche but also not white with Martini livery?

In all, this feels like my very long-winded way of saying slavish faithfulness to G1 is absurd and impractical. Many of this franchise's most beloved characters share little in common, at times physically as well as in character, with their G1 namesakes. None of these guys below come anywhere near as similar physically to their G1 namesakes as Movie Brawl to G1 Brawl, to name a few:
    • Prime Breakdown
    • Armada Wheeljack
    • Armada Starscream
    • RID Scourge
    • DOTM Sentinel Prime
    • Animated Shockwave
    To demand innovation be suppressed in the name of tradition is to kill this franchise.

I love this trend Hasbro has/had of turning Combiner members into standalone characters. Besides Movie Brawl and Bonecrusher, we also had Animated Swindle, Prime Breakdown, and Cyberverse Dead End - all pretty awesome designs and characters.

• Like Like x 7
  2. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe Rampage was named when the robot was still yellow. And the change to red seems to originate from the specific Bumblebee fight, where it was a yellow robot vs yellow robot and they didn't like that. The red could be a Hasbro suggestion. I think Demolisher was named because of the random color change but nothing points to that specifically.

The Transit art I completely forgot. I'm definitely removing Transit, Apelinq, and Roadbuster. Debating on adding Hightower but in general I was hesitant on Constructicons. I realize the definition either does or doesn't account for the idea that some robots don't have names at all that is fully up to Hasbro to figure out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jungle penguins

News Credits:
    Yes I should've prefaced the thread by saying: the actual tangible, meaningful difference between a character being reinvented vs. a blank character given an old name, is almost none. But it's fun to find out which character is which when possible.

During the first movie's development, the name Brawl for whatever reason kept being swapped to characters that would later be known as Barricade, Blackout, before landing on the tank. That's why I consider it a nameslap. The movie Autobots on the other hand were always developed with the G1 characters in mind, specifically the cartoon (though some fans argue the original toys and comics too). Ironhide was added a bit later into development but as far as anyone knows it's the same "process". A more confirmed example is Dark of the Moon Mirage and Wheeljack (Dino and Que in the movie), who were stated to be based on their original namesakes during production, but evolved over time to what we see. Same with Sentinel Prime (maybe basis from Animated version?) and that to me is very interesting.

Speaking of, even pre-release I always assumed Rise of the Beasts Mirage was clearly always there, just with some changes. Like everyone who argued should've called him Jazz were advocating for a name slap while arguing that name slaps were bad? Very confusing, and if the character name was always there and has full ties to the original or a version, why would almost everyone call it a name slap? That's kind of what spawned this thread, attempting to define it. Even when people have their own definitions I can't really see that for Mirage, or Wheeljack.

I also should've given this post a different name due to connotations, maybe just "name reuse"? My opinion on the thing is I don't really care what Hasbro does, like they can and should be doing whatever feels needed.

My opinion is also I don't like most combiners, so I always prefer stuff like Prime Breakdown or Cyberverse Dead End myself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I kinda would argue Apelinq is a nameslap, but that it also doesn't really matter?
    Because, like, he is kinda one of the only important, fleshed out characters from the old 3H/Botcon era, and I think his characterization is more "brilliant scientist turned battlefield commander," like he's honestly kinda Rhinox-esque now that I think about it. That said, I for one would probably wager that the production team picked the name Apelinq because he's a Maximal gorilla, not because of anything else. Which is fine! Apelinq is a very obscure character, but I do think that he actually was a character in the media he appeared in.

I think it's honestly kinda like how Hasbro would name every cop car Autobot "Prowl" for a long time, without really much consideration to the characterization of Prowl.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well that's gonna be tricky, because aside from the fact that names are often dictated by copyright, a lot of those characters you list aren't random. Just because the names were changed during production doesn't mean the new names were chosen without thought. Blackout, for example, literally causes blackouts. Brawl is obviously very similar to the G1 Combaticon. Even Bonecrusher, well, I don't think there's a more fitting name for that guy. :lol  Chromia isn't a nameslap anymore than Arcee is. Jolt is clearly named after his electric whips, and Crosshairs also seems like a pretty apt name for a guy who seems to be a crack shot with his little SMGs. It's weird that you would include guys like them but not, say, Drift or Hound, who share only the loosest, most superficial resemblances with prior versions.

Problem is a lot of these names have had historical use outside of the G1 characters, and not every movie character is a direct reference to G1. There's also the issue with names often being unconfirmed or even deliberately misused during production because it's not always finalized in time for concept art.

Because Mirage shares next to no traits with his G1 version besides holograms. Just because the "nameslap" was decided early on doesn't make it any less ill-fitting if it were. That's literally just justifying the name, rather than what character it's attached to.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jungle penguins

News Credits:
    It would be funny if Mark Maher had instead chosen Apeface.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jungle penguins

News Credits:
    If the character was decided and concepted based on things (Drift and Hound were decided early on, based on IDW Drift, and based on G1 Hound + IDW Kup) then how could it be considered a "slap" if nothing was like, slapped on? Of course, there's a sort of Ship of Theseus element to this, if a character is changed completely over time, is it still the character?

I mean I agree with names that fit work regardless, which then leads to every name in the movies being fine really. Jolt was originally going to be called Volt and it works in either case. That being said, Mirage seems like a very weird interpretation, as if someone saw the word rebel in a bio and thought it meant something else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think The Wreckers are debatable whether or not they'd be considered nameslaps since most have been members of the Wreckers (Leadfoot I think has been one once), Topspin and Roadbuster usually are. It's different than Rampage and Demolishor who were never Constructicons before and are more nameslaps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BWIguanusfan2

BWIguanusfan2 BWII enjoyer and Triceradon's strongest warrior

YouTube (Legacy):
    Why aren't you adding Majin Zarak?

• Like Like x 1
  10. jungle penguins

News Credits:
    I was seriously going to add the Beast Wars II Special names but that list might be super controversial. Like Skywarp is one right?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah it would be Galvatron, Skywarp and Majin Zarak. Thrust and Dirge would no longer count because they had already changed there names. I'm probably one of bwII bigger fans on this website and I approve this message.

Galvatron is called galvatron just because beast wars megs was called megatron. Skywarp is a characterless plank of wood and Majin Zarak had litterally nothing to Zarak until lore introduced +15 years later by funpub which got retconned by Takara much later after that. I love Galvatron, he is very funny, but ultimately a name slap none the less.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    @jungle penguins
    I've never felt so valid in this fandom before in my entire life. Someone included beast wars the seond on a discussion on theaterical movies. Let's go!

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  13. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Actually, he'd be the only name slap of the DOTM Wreckers

His DOTM incarnation inspired G2 Leadfoot's appearance as a Wrecker (replacing Twin Twist) in Regeneration One a year later, and then that appearance led to him being an ally of the Wreckers in Tread & Circuits (and being considered as a possible new member at the end of the series)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Same

When characters are part of the a combiner team, they usually have one-dimensional personalities that get shown off once when they debut (ex: the Sunbow Stunticons) or no personality at all (ex: the Bayverse Constructicons, who we don't even know the number of). When you give those characters individual appearances, they really get to shine since it's one character's writing versus five at a minimum, and it usually turns out great.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also think it's important to consider that some names are on different levels than others.

Jolt is a nameslap in that he shares nothing in common with prior users of the Jolt name, but... those prior Jolts weren't particularly major characters. Clearly he's called Jolt because he is a Chevy Volt and he has electric powers. The name fits just fine. Meanwhile a name like an Ironhide or a Soundwave really has to be used with a greater level of care (and even then, we've had nameslapped Ironhides in the past!).

The movies generally didn't use names any more willy-nilly than the Unicron Trilogy did, and probably was even more purpose-based than UT overall.

• Like Like x 6
  16. jungle penguins

News Credits:
    No joke, I would be completely fine if Blackout was called Soundwave. That was dropped pretty early on, but I think that's perfect.

• Like Like x 7
  17. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Exactly

If it’s a really obscure character, no one’s gonna care if you nameslap (Hell, they may not even know about the original), but if it’s someone like Sideswipe, then expect TFW to be more angry than usual
    Agreed

Blackout can deploy bots and he’s a loyalist, the two things Soundwave was most known for

• Like Like x 2
  18. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Voyager Class

News Credits:
    For a guy who appears so often in Transformers media, he seems really undefined. I mean this in the sense that this guy, after so long, still doesn't seem to have a properly defined role in contemporary media. For example:
    • Prime: The leader
    • Bee: Kid appeal character
    • Ratchet: Medic
    • Wheeljack: Scientist
    • Prowl: Cop
    • Hot Rod: Cool car guy
    • Arcee: Token female Autobot
    What is Ironhide supposed to be? A young rookie? A cocky powerhouse? A walking WMD?

• Like Like x 2
  19. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

The chief of security, Prime’s good friend, and a gritty, badass fighter.

• Like Like x 3
  20. johnny48

johnny48 Shockwave’s biggest simp

Hightower is supposed to be an adaptation of Hook, whose name was in limbo at the time. He may look silly, but a combining Decepticon crane screams Hook/ Hightower to me.
    All characters do as part of pre-production. DOTM Megatron was called “Cyclonus” in pre-production but was clearly always meant to be Megatron.
    A case could be made…

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 2