List of all known Huffer variations

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 2punish&enslave, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I'm thinking about starting a collection of variations of my very first Transformer, Huffer. I've always had a soft spot for this little dude. I spent a good bit of time last night researching all of the variations of him that are out there. Below is the list that I came up with. Please let me know which ones I'm missing. Thanks! Note - not including Pipes or Pipes variations.

UPDATE - Decided to just stick with the G1 mold.

Takara Microchange. Large "coffin box". 1st release.
    Takara Microchange. Small box. 2nd release.
    Hasbro pre-rub.
    Hasbro rubsign
    Hasbro rubsign with minispy
    Hasbro Canada 1984 & 1985. Some have robot points on front of the package (more rare) and some have them on the back.
    Hasbro red decoy (rubber)
    Takara (#14)
    Takara reissue from the Takara Collection minibot set. No stamp. Stickers and grill slightly different.
    Joustra (French) Diaclone "Truck".
    Milton Bradley (Europe).
    El Greco (Greek) dark orange
    Lynsa (Peru) peach + yellow
    Lynsa (Peru) blue + yellow Have a loose one. Would be interested in a packaged one.
    Lynsa (Peru) red + yellow. Have a packaged one. Would be interested in a loose one.
    Ceji light blue + white aka Puffer released in Europe. Have a loose one. Would be interested in a packaged one.
    IGA (Mexico) dark blue + white aka Puffer. Have a loose one. Would be interested in a packaged one.
    IGA (Mexico)dark blue (no white) I've talked to Maz about this one and he says there may only be one of these.
    IGA (Mexico) orange + blue standard colors
    Rubiplas (Venezuala) red + yellow. May also be a variant in standard colors but I haven't seen one.
    Kabaya kits (Following information is from Ras "in addition to the Transformers Kabaya kit (of varying colours, including a chrome gumball prize) there is a larger kit that was part of the microchange line available in two colours. Black/red + red/black I believe." I only have a knockoff yellow Choco kit.
    Dairycon black & white cow color pattern Huffer renamed "Heffer".
    Dairycon exclusive Huffer with Optimus Prime colors and head. Comes with Pretender that looks like Peter Cullen. Only 8-10 exist according to the only seller that I've seen.
    eHobby black + red Roadranger
    Dairycon 2013 Nemesis Huffer. Black & purple with Decepticon logo.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Heh, picking a minibot as a variant target is a painful and long procedure, quite often more expensive than you would imagine too. But credit to you for your bravery, I hope you're a patient sort :) 

Are these both small box Micro Change Series releases? Remember there is a large box release where the pre-Huffer is in styro in robot mode. I think reading it again that's basically what you're saying, large box 1st release vs small box 2nd release.

Don't forget Joustra Diaclone "Truck", if you're after packaging variants. There may be 2 versions of this, TAKARA JAPAN vs multi-line Takara/dates copyright. Unfortunately they may be indistinguishable even when carded.

Don't forget:

- EARLY pre rub stamped "TAKARA JAPAN" only.
    - If you want to go totally complete with packaging variants there are Canadian Huffers 1984 and 1985 variants (packaged in vehiucle mode with robot points on card front vs packaged in robot mode with robot points on back)
    - Orange and sparkly blue Mexican variant "Huffer" (normal colours basically)
    - Rubiplas Venezuelan release Huffer, should be a red/yellow variant and maybe one other, maybe standard colours.

There is also the small red vintage Kabaya Huffer kit, I used to have one of these. Will have to dig out a picture. May be more Japanese kit versions of Huffer too.

There are also prototypes, like an all grey pre-G1 Huffer proto from Takara that Ras owns. But you'd be much better off trying to forget about that type of thing, your list is already hard enough :) 

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  3. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Was there a diary con huffer?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    If you mean Dairycon exclusive, I think you're right actually, there was.

I sold my "Nacho Belgrande" Brawn repaint a while back...

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    Thanks Maz! I can't believe I forgot to list the Joustra. I saved a picture of it and still forgot to list it. Doh!

Here are the two Microchange Huffers that I found. I'm not sure if one box is bigger than the other but it looks like the first one might be bigger. I'm sure I'll never be able to get all of these. Like you said it would be a long, expensive procedure. Maybe I can at least pick a few off the list though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    OK, yes, the first picture is the large box first release of the Micro Change Series truck, the toy is packaged in robot mode in styro, same styro insert as the Japanese Transformers 14 Drag.

The second one is packaged in vehicle mode, wrapped in a foam sheet, much smaller packaging.

Both are awesome and shouldn't be horrific to locate, the latter has been seen on eBay now and then in the last year.

The Joustra Huffer is probably one of the 2 hardest carded Joustra minibot to get along with Brawn. Having said that, there have been a few about recently and eventually people sell them, but definitely far fewer than Gears and Windcharger which seem to be everywhere.

All the best
    Maz

7. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
  8. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    OMG thanks optimusfan! Those are epic. I love the one with Optimus's head and the purple one. I'll have to add these to the master list above when I get home. I'm working. Can't ya tell? lol. Do you happen to know of any pics floating around with those Dairycon Huffers in robot mode?

9. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
  10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
  11. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I am honored to accept your waste

I also have a big soft spot for Huffer. He was my second Tf, and the only one of my first 3 Tfs (Megatron, Huffer, and Optimus) I still have intact; Megs is horribly broken and Prime was also broken and given away.

I had no idea there were so many variants until I read Maz's articles on the numerous South American recolors, and then I saw those Dairycon ones. I would love to have just one or two of the many variants. I hope you know what you're getting into :) 

BTW, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed when I was talking to John Stephenson (Huffer's voice actor) at Botcon a while back, and he said he regretfully couldn't remember him. He was also left off a poster I bought at the time to get signed that had all of Stephenson's Tf characters on it. Poor Huffer gets no love.

12. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    You're right. Huffer gets no love. Unfortunately, his cartoon character was extremely lame which is a big reason for this. His big crowning moment in the show was helping Optimus once by hauling his trailer. Whoopee!

I still love the toy though. He and Gears were my first two. I always liked Huffer more though.

I'll never have all of these variants or even close. Hopefully I can put together a nice little collection though. Right now all I have is two of the prerub loose. I don't typically buy sealed figures but I want a sealed pre-rub of him in great condition. I just lost out on one last night but have a lead on another.

A big problem here is that I have no idea what these South American and Dairycon figures are worth. I always looked at completed listings on eBay as a guide but in this case there aren't any.

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Huffer is also one of my favorites, right now I have 5 pre-rubs and two '85 and also the PCC one. I'm not sure but I think there are two other Takara boxed versions aside from the two Microchange ones. The pre-rub and rub sign boxed versions. I will check on it later.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Waitaminit, when was any decoy done in vehicle mode?!?!?!?!!?!?

15. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    I found it in an article that Maz wrote for TFSource.
    [​IMG]

16. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    It's a Kabaya Huffer. He says so in the article

17. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    Ok. Well I'll scratch that one off the list then.

18. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yeah that's the little red kit I mentioned previously, glad you found a pic! They are utterly brilliant by the way...

Oh that pic is from TF-1, my own site :) 

All the best
    Maz

19. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Good luck with getting the all blue Mexican one and the Dairycon ones. I've actually given up trying to get those and am now looking at splitting my Huffers up so I can help you with some of those. PM me if you're interested.

20. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    Thanks Genetic. PM sent.