LioKaiser Question (Thanks to a knockoff)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GuardianMonkey, Jun 16, 2016.

1. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

During this awful time in Orlando, I've been doing some retail therapy to cope. I just bought what I thought was Liokaiser but turns out to be a knockoff of some kind. I'll admit, I was in a daze when I bought the thing, I probably could've payed better attention. I know next-to-nothing about G1 toys from Japan so my excitement got the better of me. By the time I realized what I bought, all I had was disappointment and a toy that didn't actually combine!

What I'm here to ask is what is everybody's opinion of actual Liokaiser? Is he a good figure/figures? I've loved the color scheme ever since I first saw pictures of him and he's a great novelty. I love combiners that have no kibble. Plus, I want to expand my TF collection to include things I would never have gotten as a kid.

2. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    I have two of the real deals (one open, one closed). Liokaiser looks great combined, but he has an unusual build, which limits his articulation (or either my open one's arms are stiff). He's cool in-box (he's pretty rare), and they're all fun fiddle toys in the individual units, since they're simple G1 goodness. Combined, he fits in with his Victory teammates just fine. He's a cool set overall. Rating: 7.5 / 10

3. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

thank you so much for your informed reply! though the word "rare" seems a little scary! do you have any idea of how much a loose/complete version of LK might go for? as i've done more investigation, i am drawn more and more to this figure and his many different gimmicks. Breastforce?! awesome!

4. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    You're welcome. I've seen just one member go anywhere from $999.99 to $4,999. The boxset might go for about $20,000. They're very elusive and were Japanese exclusives. I believe about only 230 pieces were made. It'll cost you lots unless you find some severely beaten almost to the point of garbage thirty years-old to be recycled (still will be a "pretty penny"), but good luck finding one cheap (you probably won't, unless it's a KO).

Also, it's Victory, not Masterforce. I apologize.

5. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

If you haven't figured it out yet, Collectibot is making this all up.

6. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    I am not! I've searched over and over and have gotten those prices. I found some single members for about $570 now. I'm just listing prices I've seen recently.

7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Well, there were many more than 230 LioKaisers made. It may be a harder to find toy but that's because collectors aren't selling them or Killbison has disintegrated.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Yeah I didn't pay anything REMOTELY close to $20,000 for the brand new MIB set I got.

As for my personal opinion, I love them. There's a lot of novelty about it, even on top of the fact it was never released in the US. The Breast Force gimmick is different than all the other "___" Masters with several different types of interaction with the core figures. The combination is fun too since it's different than the typical Scramble City combiner. It's definitely one of my absolute favorites of my collection.

EDIT: Wishfulthinking reminded me of the GPS on Killbison. That's definitely something to keep in mind.

9. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

I've been trying to get Liokaiser for like forever because I love them in the anime and the combined mode still looks pretty good today.

Of course with the rarity and high prices combined with possible GPS (Who the heck wrote the TFWiki.net Killbison section of the GPS article? That's not how he combines!), I might just have to stick with the CW or UW version.

10. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Killbison is a pain, Ive had about 4 or 5 and you have to be really careful, but in fairness I dont think its a bad as other GPS victims. The big danger is from the combiner port when it flips out to form the leg, but the head can also cause problems. I wound up dismantling one (also fairly risky) and sanded down some parts where the hinge was just putting too much pressure on visibly fragile plastic. Worked quite well.

Worst case scenario though, you can always replace Killbison with his Recue Force repaint.

11. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    he's awesome as a set and individual figures are fun too. if you don't buy him as a set then be prepared to be patient and pay a lot for individual complete pieces. less if you're willing to go for some of the chinese reissue (which is most of mine) or the high quality KO's.

i'd recommend picking up one (or two) of the KO's with Doubledealer as an arm; some have bad quality, others are o.k.

-

12. 00raiser956

00raiser956 Galaxy Convoy

Ebay:
    I've seen the $999-$4,999 price range but never seen one go for $20,000. The $570 ones are from that Wheeljack's lab I remember when they first went up there were like around $900 each he wanted but that's too pricey even for them.

13. 00raiser956

00raiser956 Galaxy Convoy

Ebay:
    I've never had the original always wanted it but if you are looking for an alternative TFC Toys Hades is their version of Liokaiser and a good one to get in place of one. I like it they did a good job on their look.

14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    man, i am really hopeful TT goes all out and does 2 new torso bots for a Unite Warriors Liokaiser... after what they did for Devastator, Bruticus, Computron and Super Ginrai seems like it's possible.

15. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Yeh the worst part about this rare combiner is that one of them suffers from GPS.

16. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    I said $20,000 for an estimation of what the boxset may cost, since my research showed the boxset to be rarer than the individuals, and the individuals cost so much. Excuse me if that's incorrect. I've seen prices of these toys, and I came to that logical conclusion based on the prices I saw.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    What you'd shared are all wrong.

Firstly, individual members of Breastforce do not command USD $1K to $4K, no matter which one of them. A range between USD $400 to USD $800, maybe. That's taking into consideration that these are sealed specimens.

The giftset sets you back at USD $2.5K to maybe USD $4K MAX. (Again, I'm referring to sealed specimens) Nothing beyond that number sells so definitely not USD $20K. (I could list a TFTM '07 Camaro Bumblebee for a million dollars, would it sell? That's what I'm trying to say here)

And Liokaiser (production number for individual members, giftset or even both combined) is definitely way more than 230 pieces. :) 

19. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    *double post*

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

That's about right, I bought the indiviual box sets complete with instructions and styrofoam inserts for about $320.00 years ago. He's one of my favorite combiners too. I don't mess with him though because of Kill Bison's gold plastic.