Linkin Park Vocalist Chester Bennington Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Boneless Pizza, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You have to feel sorry for anyone that loses that battle with their personal demons. It's some dark nasty stuff that I wouldn't wish upon anyone much less someone who did nothing to deserve those inner demons.

It's also tough on the family and friends with those thousands of thoughts of what if. Always a thought of if I had just done this or if I had just done that even when someone hid their battle with the things that can bring someone to take their own life. So well wishes to his friends and family during such a rough time.

• Like Like x 4
  2. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So those songs with suicidal allusions were authentic :(  Cry for help perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Linkin Park means very much for me and pure Chester's voice... it's so full of passion and wisdom... Like my beloved Transformers! It's not a casualty that they created so many music for the films! One type of music is for calming down, one type for the joy and fun, one type for the sadness. But Linkin Park beats them all. Their music is a call for the fight with humans' indifference.
    Totally agree. I also was suicidal after the death of my father 4 years ago. I still can't go to the cemetery. And almost no one didn't try help me. I think a huge piece of my depression was actually connected to almost everyone's indifference, especially from my former best friend (she literally forgot about me). And without any shy I can say that TFs saved me, because I've got an idea of making a russian site and I went to Transformers-themed trip to Chicago!

I'm outraged how often people say that suicidal people are weak. My mom says it constantly and it hurts me so much. You haven't a soul, if you never were in depression. Man shall not live by bread alone, like Jesus said. You may have a money, a safety, a family, a work, but you always need something more. You want to be needed, to be understood. Sincerely. From all someone's soul.

Remember ROTF scene where Optimus is talking with Sam. It's actually the ONLY moment in the 2-5 Movies, when Autobots are seriously asking the help from humans. Not from militaries. Not for the forces. Just for idea support. Was it so much? No, it actually was so little, comparing what Autobots did for humans. But Sam spitted over it. Over sincerity. Over trust. Over hope. Over friendship. And you know, WHAT happened then... It wasn't a suicide, but...

So I always say - indifference is the most awful and destructive force in the Universe.
    Wish the same!

• Like Like x 4
  4. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature gottagofast

Though I've rarely agreed with you in this site, it's sad to hear that. I've also had suicidal thoughts. Glad to hear now you're better!

I agree. Though people treat it as simply "being sad", depression is a tremendly bad disease, like AIDS or cancer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Somebody once said to me that depression can be compared to sadness in the same way having a limb cut off can be compared to a paper-cut. Even then the analogy isn't perfect but I sort of get what they were shooting for.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FoolishDoomedCreature

It's actually a good metaphor, the papercut regrows, the limb doesn't. Once you try to commit suicide, that thought haunts you forever.

• Like Like x 2
  7. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Some people do not understand the inner torment that people with Depression go through. You can't cure it, you can't will it to go away, it's unavoidable but you can treat the symptoms but only if you talk to someone. But there are people out there who are too scared to talk about their inner struggles. I have depression but I've learned to cope, I asked for help when I was scared of suicidal thoughts.

Please, if you or a loved one has depression and is possibly suicidal, call a suicide hotline, you can save a life!

Don't taint the memory of the stars that have died to this terrible disease. Don't become like them, it makes your loved ones sad if you go through with this.

• Like Like x 4
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Can confirm..

• Like Like x 2
  9. FoolishDoomedCreature

Can re-confirm...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Thanks for everything. I've been listening to their songs after hearing the news and I can't believe how many of them I know.

A great loss indeed. :rip 

11. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

I think in respect to Chester, the band should retire the name "Linkin Park" but it's not the end. Mike is a very capable singer these days. Sure, he probably wouldn't be able to perform older or heavier tracks but he probably wouldn't do that anyway idk.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

To anyone angry over Chester taking his own life or simply having trouble listening to Linkin Park songs now, I offer the advice of having another listen to Leave Out All The Rest. I myself have only thought of this now, despite it being one of my favorite songs they've made, because I've found it too depressing to listen to many of their songs, due to so many of them being about subjects that would've led to his suicide. However, now that I've remembered this song, hearing Chester himself singing about the legacy he leaves after his death and how to deal with the memory of him, I think it might be easier to listen to his songs.

"Don't resent me and when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory. Leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest."

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Practitioner of Bool

Brilliantly stated, sir. I really got into Linkin Park because of the movies (post 1 and into RotF), and even as a young lad, I knew that some of their songs were damn heavy pieces that connotated a deeper meaning and purpose. Most of the songs by them that I preferred to listen to include the three Bayformer-featured ones, Burn it Down, Leave Out All The Rest, and Shadow Of The Day. The latter three were for more personal reasons, but that's not what I'm trying to convey here. I wasn't really a fan of the scream-ier stuff (One Step Closer, Bleed It Out, etc) then, and even though it may still not be my absolute favorite sound out of them, in cases such as Lost in the Echo (one of my current favorites), it's used beautifully to display anguish and loss. Rage and intimate sadness. Songs like Waiting For The End and the aforementioned Shadow of the Day were simply depressing to listen to back then, and I can safely say that it's worse to listen to them now. They just have this impending gloominess to them, the same sort that makes Chester's suicide more and more plausible when looking back to their releases. I went to the Jones Beach 2012 concert that featured Incubus and Linkin Park just for the latter band. It was an amazing experience, but that year marked my decline in listening to them. Their newer stuff (talking 2013 on) isn't usually stuff that I listen to, but that was the direction that they wanted to go. I respected that, and once in a blue moon I'd just go back to the Youtube channel and watch a few to get reacquainted. It's a terrible shame that it had to end like this. I've never been one to physically shed tears at loss, that's unfortunately just never been something I've been able to do (not out of willingness, I just seem to not be able to, iunno), but I wish I could now, for the death of a man who built up my childhood.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been listening to Linkin Park nonstop since this tragedy. I always kinda liked them, but I didn't realise how special and wonderful they are. Chester's voice is sensational, and he was loved and will be missed by millions, especially his family and friends.

Anyone who has suicidal thoughts, it's ok to admit to it, and please seek help.

• Like Like x 8
  15. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

This is still so surreal. I've been a LP fan since I first heard "What I've Done" off the 2007 TF soundtrack, and bought every record from Hybrid Theory to One More Light.

What makes it crazy is that he seemed so happy back in April and May. This was by far, the most unexpected celebrity passing of 2017.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Raiju

Raiju Kaiju Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're right. After listening to Leave Out All The Rest, I can totally agree.

With suicide, the person suffering is just in so much pain that it gets to the point where they're unable to think about anything else except some sort of relief or escape from it. Thankfully I never reached that point myself when I went through my darkest times about 10 years ago. I still had presence of mind to think about how sad and anguished I would make my parents if I really had went through with it. Some people who suffer from depression aren't that lucky and go far beyond that breaking point, like Chester did, sadly.

I can only reiterate that if you're suffering from depression and are having suicidal thoughts, please reach out and seek help. I did and I'm really glad I ended up seeking help (free counseling). Sometimes all you need is to just talk to someone about your problems and what you're going through. Help is available.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A wonderful memorial concert for Chester, on YouTube now.

• Like Like x 4
    • News Credit News Credit x 1