Limit the amount of Gen 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fanatic97, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Should other lines get more representation in Generations

1. Yes?

104 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. No (Why Not?)

66 vote(s)
    38.8%
  1. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Not gonna lie, I would have no reason to watch a series if none of the characters I love would be in it. Part of the reason I haven't been able to get into the Japanese G1 series is because they abandoned most of the characters people cared about. I'm not going to say such a series would fail, but it would hardly seem like Transformers, at least to me.

2. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    I mean, it IS GenerationS, meaning multiple, so there should be more than just G1 in this line.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

I am extremely cautious of limiting anything. I don't want to go around drawing lines in the sand telling Hasbro they can't make this character because too much G1. I mean I am a bit sick of it, but also we are getting quite a few Japanese characters I never would have thought we would get so not sure how G1 that is. I mean yes it is clearly, but you get what I mean. I have said many times I'd prefer if we just went back to what we did for thrilling 30. Just do that but more and for a longer period of time and more leaders.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    While I don't oppose non-G1 characters, I also think the current state of Generations is fine. Coming up with a theme and sticking to it for a year or two instead of random whoever whenever makes for a stronger line. Instead of dropping Hot Shot randomly in Universe 2.0 and an Armada Starscream years later in Thrilling 30, just wait for a time when the line's theme can be Minicons and then bring out the updated Unicron Trilogy toys. Same with Beast Wars, when the time comes Hasbro should unleash the beast, but no more piece mealing it until Hasbro is ready to focus and do them right.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    *Gasp* You take that back! :eek: 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Two cockpits... Look at yourself!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Believe it or not, i love that design. That and Triggerhappy's.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The Decepticon Targetmasters are really awesome designs and characters.
    I'm really happy we got such great updates for them.
    I hope we'll get the Autobot Targetmasters too in the next line.

9. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It's pretty awesome, actually. So much so that Slugslinger in Energon even homages that design. Only thing the TR version failed at was that the two cockpits aren't functional for Titan Masters.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I'm going to say no, we don't need to move on yet, mostly because were FINALLY not just stuck thinking all of G1 was 1984 and part of 1985 with a few movie characters sprinkled in. The last 3 years we've gotten tons of characters that havent seen a single update in 30 years. Other than the choice to turn the 84-85 Autobot cars into combiner limbs this has been a very refreshing time to be a collector.

I hope we see 2019 finish fleshing out the holes that haven't seen G1 updates, then move heavy into G1.5 / G2 :) 

• Like Like x 4
  11. Alpha Minor 128

Alpha Minor 128 Semi-Lurker Extraordinaire

YouTube (Legacy):
    Anything newer than Cybertron doesn't need anew toy because Cybertron ad up you can't get any better without fundamentally changing the entire concept of it and to me generations should be taking old lines and toys and making it better than than they were. Generations also implys more than one but it still should be mostly g1 so we can keep digging to the bottom of the barrel and keep going just for the hell f it.

12. Alpha Minor 128

YouTube (Legacy):
    That sounds AWESOME! But also a bad idea if they got rid of making optimus prime and bumblebee and megatron, etc sales would plummet everywhere due to kids not knowing who anyone was and thusly not buying ANY toys and fans being justifiably pissed off and the show would be cancelled and then Hasbro would essentially just be like "No guys, come back! We can make good shows!" and make the biggest fan wank of a show ever disillusioning they're main audience children and thusly transformers would die at an even more largely macerated rate than it already was considering it's current state and the problem mentioned earlier until something came along like the movies did and revive.P.S. The movies are bad but they still brought transformers back from what essentially a dead franchise.

13. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I just sort of fundamentally disagree with people saying, "Anything newer than X doesn't need a new toy" when we're getting multiple releases per year of G1 characters who have had modern toys in the last decade.

Smacks of hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alpha Minor 128

YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes but those are usually considered "classic characters" and if you don't make them it's kinda weird like when bumblebee wasn't combiner wars, it's like, ya I'm okay with this but this is kinda weird." Because it's bumblebee, megatron, optimus prime or a repaint which is just easier, if we made them in a generation one style like bulkhead but if we just made a new version as it was supposed to be then it's kina redundant because nobody knows him but in cases like Knockout or Airrachnid they deserve a new toy because, ya know their toys sucked.

15. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Dude, I use to think that but my boys have been watching Victory and at some point Perceptor and Wheeljack just walked on and started fucking with the base console controls and shit like they still owned the place so apparently all those guys are still around in those times ( the episode had Optimus in it anyway) they just aren't the main focus, it gave me a whole new way to consider growing a collection and enjoying the hobby because as we have kept watching the next several series all seem to have at least a couple of characters that overlap just like the post movie stuff did with some of the pre movie characters. So between that and the hand waving the original beast wars cartoon about the timelines being connected as far as I am concerned now its all good and its all welcome.

Right with you except he combiner Arkbots, I'm Loving that shit and its a great way to get everyone and get caught up, grow a character roster I had never been able to till now AND they are consistent scale and engineering / articulation rather than.... wtf ever was happening back in the G1 days and or picking weird completely different bots from 30 plus years of fly by nite fad of the year toy lines. For example it STILL blows my mind that I have as many Arkbots as I do and that they scale, vibe and even combine if I want them to with the scramble city guys. Worst case scenario just don't ever combine them
    although ...I recall a LOT of people said that about the new Dinobots but only BEFORE they started buying them now everyone pretty much just rolls with it, it seems

I only get stuff to play with the kids with, CW ( UW in our case) Devy seems like a plenty capable kids toy though I just make sure I supervise them with the most expensive and or rare ones.

That actually where I fell off as a kid myself in my mind it ended with the movie, now Ive went back and watched the later seasons of the American G1 show with the boys... oddly we already had the Titans Return Collection when we did that ( last fall or so) and so essentially had the cast to them and I'm glad we do/ did. I'm ready for the Japanese shows to really start getting updated figures in the generations line as some of those designs are what I always imagined Transformers could or should be when I was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

If there's at least one thing I would like/love if Hasbro did for the next Generations line...it would be for them to release Marauder Megatron from TFA. I think most can agree, that was a design that should get a second look at.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Alpha Minor 128

YouTube (Legacy):
    That would make more sense for a reboot or new addition of Animated as to me generations should be for characters who are CLASSICS (mind you, I mean characters like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, bots who entry level fan know from the movies not BW or BM, or even G1) or updates of characters only have O.K. toys at best (Which is where the sort of for G1 comes in due to some BW toys actually being pretty good)

18. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Okay, I'll bite, why should it be just that? It's called Generations, not classics. And the movie lines have plenty of bots known from the movies. >.>

Cya
    Raziel-chan

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alpha Minor 128

YouTube (Legacy):
    Because people know thy exist but they arn't classics and ya know most don't remember them other optimus prime, bumblebee and megatron or their favorite. And I mean in the g1 style not the movies.

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not hypocrisy if I never asked for a third updated Windcharger toy. I'd rather get more toys of G1 characters who don't have updates but Hasbro doesn't operate that way.

• Like Like x 2