Limit the amount of Gen 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fanatic97, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Should other lines get more representation in Generations

1. Yes?

103 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No (Why Not?)

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

I voted no and here's why: I've felt for years and years hasbro needs to let go of the past entirely. No G1, no BW, no anything. Have the guts to stand up and invest in a really strong new continuity with no megatron, no optimus, no bumblebee, no one. An entirely truly new line with a great media and well-executed figures to accompany it.

Let go of the past, be willing to grow.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’m ok with this, even as a true G1 fan.

3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    True. At this point it seems to be sheer luck if a new toy looks good enough or not. Those that already had updates 8-10 years ago are all inferior to the previous version. For most figures we already needed to gradually lower our standards.

4. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    While your post is a liiiittle entitled I still have to agree :oops: 

5. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    The results of the vote are pretty clear. Once the Prime Wars wraps up, it's time for Hasbro to spread the plastic love a little wider.

6. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I would love a G1 Optimus Prime that looks like a cross between his cartoon appearance and Ginrai. I actually prefer Ginrai's look, he's a little more streamlined. But they also look very similar. He would need to be the same size as Classics Optimus Prime in bot mode for me. If he looks great, does not have obvious hollow parts, no clip on wheels and enough paint and no stickers, preferably (snow- not cream-) white thighs and crotch piece. I'd be game. I'd probably even buy a white repaint and a black one then.

I love the classics mold and it seems nothing is gonna top it. But if they pull it off right... this would be the way for me to do it.

But I wouldn't mind if they don't make one. I'm pretty happy with Cloud Optimus Prime, United Ultra Magnus and United Black Optimus Prime. This mold captures G1 Optimus Prime for me perfectly while also looking modern and badass.

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I
    heartily agree. But
    I
    think the cartoon and main toyline
    are the venue for that
    not the generations
    line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Unfortunately sales do not reflect that statement.
    Look at combiner wars Optimus. Aftermarket sales are quite high for BOTH of the figure released during that line alone.
    Optimus sells, easily.
    Power of the Primes Optimus is selling like hotcakes directly after we already had a leader optimus in the previous line (and a voyager).
    I'm not saying that G1 should remain, or even Optimus figures but the mainline figures always seem to sell out of optimus and consequently have relative unknowns like twinferno etc shelf warming.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    There is always Machine Wars, RID 2001, and Armada updates. There was no MW series, though figure updates could easily boost the neo G1 toy ranks. RID 2001 had some brick like figures that could really need updates. Then Armada, which had figures that would make some G1 figures look super articulated.

Plus RID 2001 and Armada are soon going to be 20 years old. There's going to be adult collectors that are going to be wanting updates of characters they saw as children.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Hardly think Disney failed in any way with Marvel. Probably the best $4B investment Disney ever made. I did not add up the dollars and cents, but Disney movies based off the Marvel Universe have grossed over $12B at the box office alone. No toys, games or DVD sales included. While some die hard fans do not enjoy Disney's treatment of SW, TFA and TLJ currently sit at 3 and 9 of top box office draws of all time with Rogue One at 23. From Disney's perspective...success.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Seconded. Experimentation and evolution of the franchise are critical to its longevity. Having two or more concurrent lines allows Hasbro to test new waters while simultaneously keeping a couple toes in the Golden Lagoon of nostalgia. The Generations line isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    I voted limit the amount of this thread.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    We've also had Starscreams Megatrons and Soundwaves shelfwarm.
    Optimus has also shelfwarmed.
    There are patterns, but there
    are
    no
    guarantees

14. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I think part of this plea is caused by the lack of FunPub.

There were a lot of problems with that service, but they did give us things like a Side Burn, Cannonball, Brimstone, Tarantulus, etc. Plus a whole set based around Machine Wars with some Beast Machines homages thrown in. The Beast Wars set was not my jam, but I appreciate the intent.

When you're releasing an extra 20+ figures a year you have a lot more room to get creative.

I wish Hasbro had a way to do something similar; the box sets were a step in the right direction, but apparently not financially successful enough for them to continue.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    No. With hundreds of characters to choose from in G1 and G2, and every last one of them needing modern toy updates, I see no reason to not continue for a little longer at least. Figures from Beast Wars on (sans Armada) all meet modern toy expectations. Let G1 catch up and then move on.

I will say, though, that it'd be lovely to revisit Armada once the G1-love fest is over. It'd be really cool to see good updates of those characters. In fact, it'd be great if they could smash Armada and G1 Micromasters together and make everybody happy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Microarmada

• Like Like x 2
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    There's no crucial change. There's the reality of what it is. That's what Hasbro wants. Look at the designs, and tell me again that Hasbro doesn't want to push the G1 designs as iconic. Just as a caveat that, by this point I think people have to accept that tank Megs is the "new" G1 Megs. I'm cool with that myself. Anyways, as I said, Hasbro's marketing is pretty clear right now.

I just want to finish by saying that at the end of the day...it doesn't matter what our brain thinks. It only matters what our wallets say. Hasbro knows G1 is a huge money maker. So if you want to impact that and force more non-G1 stuff...you have to stop buying G1 stuff. Let your wallet speak out here. Otherwise you might have to continue getting product trickled down to you for awhile. Things could change after POTP for sure, and only Hasbro knows what the plan is, but you could probably be safe in expecting more of the same. Unless you speak with your wallet and stop buying stuff that doesn't align with what you want. Just like me. I only like G1...and I won't buy things that aren't G1. Voting with my wallet, folks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure its a success but with rumors of sorts of the Solo movie having scenes re-shoots...I think there's bound to be some negative effects.

I still think sooner or later one of financial suave websites such as Forbes or WSJ will give their analysis on the SE trend.

As for Marvel...I not talking about the movies or Disney's handling of the Marvel movies...it's the comics that took a pounding in recent times but things seems to have improved with the latest storylines and character returns.

19. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. Have not read Marvel comics in quite some time now, but I have read in several places that Michael Bendis had been mucking things up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Funny joke!