Limit the amount of Gen 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fanatic97, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Should other lines get more representation in Generations

1. Yes?

104 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. No (Why Not?)

66 vote(s)
    38.8%
  1. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is why you put Pounce on the shelf instead because more collectors will buy it over the Night Slash Cheetor.

2. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn right I'm entitled! Have you seen the 80s Bumblebee? My Optimus Prime was a brick. A brick with no back. My generation was sold a lie by Marvel/Sunbow. Our toys REALLY didn't look anything like the show it was based on. But we bought 'em all anyway. God damn Hasbro OWES us this. The new toys aren't just toys. They're a promise fulfilled. And you younger guys want to complain because your Animated toys weren't quite as good as they could have been? Did all your toys come with heads? Cause my Ironhide sure didn't.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Screw you old man, we're the new generation and we demand a 4th season! Jokes aside, the original '84 cast was pretty awful toys wise, probably because they weren't supposed to be Transformers originally.

4. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

Personally I think the best thing for Animated would just be for the unreleased toys to come out in America.

TFA Had some of the best toys and no ones complaining about their quality. TFA Fans though would like Something, even if it's a Sari Sumdac Titan Master

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    What they need to do is do nothing but Diaclone repaints/remolds of existing molds. Selfishly, I'd get them. Kids, who like toys and are only barely aware of characters, will get them. THEN, after that has purged the mindset of the general populace, release a line of nothing but BW stuff. I know I'm going to catch shit for this, but if they were going to slip TFA stuff in, they should have done it in the RID toyline. The aesthetic is close ENOUGH to give an out to get them to retail, if you squint. That was good enough for Aaron Archer, should be good enough for Hasbro corporate, especially if it gets those characters out for those that want them. If I was in charge of the RID cartoon, I'd also slip in character models that were as close to some of the TFA characters as possible to get some toys out. Cater to the fan base a bit.

6. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    No, I like reinvented G1 figures. BW didn't do anything for me except help keep Transformers going through the 90s.

I wouldn't mind seeing some RID '01 and Unicron Trilogy stuff, updated to include easier conversions in the case of the former, and more articulation in the case of the later. Heck, they could get another use out of the CW Hot Spot mold by making RID '01 OP/ Fire Convoy out of it.

[​IMG]

I'd also still like to get some more actual Targetmasters, instead of Titanmaster-sized dudes that turn into part of a weapon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of us have a late-era G1 toy they're dying to see as a full-articulated/not-terrible modern figure. I had Cindersaur as a kid and am fuming at the idea of a straight Slash recolor, if that's what is indeed happening. Deluxe Sizzle and Ruckus as well, plz. I'll buy other era homages though. I have so far and don't regret it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I’m partial to the firecons and sparkabots being legends sized.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the Firecons being that size because their original proportions and vibe was very minibot. I just want a dedicated mold that justifies its cost by having built-in moderate remolds in Sparkstalker and Flamefeather.

My man Sizzle just has such a sleek alt-mode I want to see him hanging out with, I dunno, Hot Rod and Sideswipe, who are typically deluxes. If it comes down to a choice between the Sparkabots and Triggercons/Triggerbots being deluxe, I'll stick with the Triggers. Because Ruckus.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Ahhh good choices. Man I do want a funny car alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the camp for reducing the number of G1 figures on the shelves so that I can spend less money on toys.

• Like Like x 4
  12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

My main interest in G1 updates are the Japanese G1 characters from Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory. The vintage originals cost a fortune so modern updates are the only hope I have of owning those characters.

Agreed. All we need is one. Just one voyager scale Optimus Prime that actually looks like G1 Optimus Prime without all the stupid gimmicks. So far we have zero Optimus Primes that meet that criteria. If they gave us just that one Optimus, we wouldn't need another.

• Like Like x 3
  13. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope. keep em coming hasbro. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Questionm other than Beast Wars/Machines, what else COULD get attention?

15. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Hasbro/Takara will keep making G1 themed toys because we keep buying them. I don't have anything against other lines, but they don't seem to sell as well, and this is a business. Personally, I have bought toys from most lines, when I thought they looked cool, or had wicked features, but I will always lean towards G1 because I grew up with Saturday morning cartoons and the animated movie. Perhaps my generation is the largest transformers demographic, or perhaps just has the most disposable cash, for whatever reason, G1 themed toys sell better and hence Hasbro will keep making them.

16. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for. I waited 10 years for Voyager Starscream, and look how that turned out.

EDIT: Also even when Thrilling 30 was happening, they made a Tankor that was shorter than Rattrap. Just thought I'd bring that up.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We just need Hasbro to do Beast Machine Primal, Rattrap, Cheetor & Blackarachnia in Legends size to match.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

That....might actually work.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tbh G1 updates is the only thing that attracts me to TF...I know G1 toys were bricks that's why I believe many of us are lapping up the updates.

The best period for CHUG was 2009? Where we got modern updates like Jazz, Wheeljack and Tracks?

As an old school fan those are the types of modern updates that I want...and its a spillover effect to our kids as in we introduce them to the next generation. To be fair G1 also had fun gimmicks like combiners and masters.

I suspect Hasbro knows this...if they upset the old fanbase...the backlash is going to be bad.

Again, from my guess this is what happened with Star Wars - where Disney shxx over all the old fanbase (many of them feel that way) - via the "The Last Jedi" movie.

As a result, these older fans are so turned off that the number of times they watch the latest flick has dropped. I suspect and was even told the toy sales have fallen and will continue to fall. All we need is some "official news" that merchandise sales such as toys have underperformed or dropped.

Disney's plan to 'diversify' has falled. Why would they think it would work if it failed with Marvel (who later brought back the older characters).

It's like replacing Optimus with Wingblade as the flagship character.

Yeah, the RX is the most iconic and it's still my fave. It's not just because of nostalgia but the later suits seems ridiculously overpowered.

I think (many) years ago Bandai even mentioned that the RX was their best selling MS (across various toys and model kits), even though there was a newer show...I can't recall...was it Seed? Seed Destiny? Or some other show...

Tell me about it...I would have bought the new Starscream but I hate the wing design in bot mode...where one sees the 'frame' etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    And isn't head shorter than other voyagers.