Lighting Makes all the Difference

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ratchets Hatch, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I've been used fluorescent lights to take pictures of my TFs for quite a while now. However, today I swapped out the bulb in my desk lamp for a cool-colored CFL.

:jawdropper:  WOW.

The difference is INCREDIBLE. Plastic looks shinier, colors are more vibrant, even light-piping works better. I feel like I'm finally seeing my TFs as they were meant to be seen.

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prove it.

3. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    how many TF have you enlightened so far ? My recent custom was photographed in a hurry (yellowish tinge from dining room lights) and i was kinda regret that. Pretty busy these days .

4. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use the newer version of "standard" lights? the funny looking ones that spiral, and my pictures come out with a yellowish tinge to it, I can't seem to get a white color for it.

Can you show us pictures of the type of blubs you use?

5. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    These pictures were all taken with my iPhone 4 and are totally unaltered. What you see is what I see.

TFP Arcee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RTS Bumblebee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FOC Shockwave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FE Starscream

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

My iPhone photos always look terrible

7. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

If you are getting the yellow tint to a picture try adjusting the white balance. I have been using lights that give a yellow tint but avoid that by simply adjusting white balance. That is of course if your camera allows it to be adjusted.

8. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    It doesn't really matter what brand you buy. The important thing is the Kelvin scale on the package. It should look something like this:

[​IMG]

You want a bulb that's in the white or blue zone. Some people don't like them, but they make TFs look awesome.

Well mine is the 4s, the camera on which is somewhat better than the regular iPhone 4. It helps to change the focus by tapping the screen in the spot you want to focus on. Using your elbows as a tripod helps, too. ;) 

9. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I always take photos out of my detolf and I think the detolf lights don't help. Mines a 4s also

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it's a combination of good lighting and white balance settings on your camera. a good middle ground and you won't even have to post process anything other then cropping.

If you're using fluorescents, switching up to an incandescent setting on your camera could make as much difference (if not more) then the bulb swaps you did. some additional white balance tweaking and you might be banging out some really nice color balanced pics, with no new bulb purchases at all.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Indeed. I am starting to learn some photography skills and this i have discovered.

2 pics of the same figure with halogen spot lights only difference was using auto settings and manual settings to compensate for everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]