Lighting for your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Murasame, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I'd like to know and maybe see how you may have solved the problem with proper lighting. I once bought via geek some lights that react via infrared, while it may work somehow, it's not what I was looking for. I thought it might work like it being lid up all the time while I stand in front of it and going dark when I go away. But in reality it goes on and off while I'm lying in my bed, which is, why I don't use those lights currently.

I have about 5 or 6 shelves in which I want to add lighting to the top of each shelf. Last I tried to find proper light that is not wireless, but uses an external power unit, so everything connected by wires. Downside: I did not find cables in the proper length to connect every shelf with each other. I think I measured about 50cm cable needs to go from shelf to shelf. Also I don't want to take apart my cabinet or screw holes in it. I thought about letting the cables run across the left side, behind the cabinet door and on the bottom shelf let the cable go out between the little space that might be where the door hinges at the cabinet's side. Also I don't want to solder anything, I would like to get something that works via "plug and play" basically.

Any suggestions?

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You'll probably never find any wired systems with the exact measurements you want. How easy would it be to rewire the lights so you do have the lengths you want?

3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't think it would be easy for me :lol 

Cheap wireless lights that work would also be nice. I just don't want it to be lid up when I try to sleep.

4. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

You might want to ask @Kuma Style. I think he talked about setting up lighting to someone in an interview. He posts great pictures.

5. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

Detolfs lit with dioder sets, pretty standard but you could do a lot worse. I don't turn them on much after the first couple years but it's better spent money than fish tanks by far.

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Are these sets included with the detolf or separately sold?

7. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are sold separately.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Thanks. I will look into it!

9. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally use the Dioders from Ikea for my Besta Unit Display. For my Detolfs (and a couple of other shelves) I use some remote controlled LED Pucklights from Capstone. You can find them on Amazon for like 25 bucks shipped (pack of 6).

The combination of Dioders and the LED Puck lights work really well. Only downside is that the puck lights go through batteries like nobody's business. I end up having to replace them after about a month of moderate use. And by moderate, I mean I turn them only for 30 minutes a few nights out the week. Here's a pic of how they look on and off in my display room.

Collection 6.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty sweet set up there.

11. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was gonna say, I use those Capstone remote control LED lights too, I picked up a pack of 6 from Costco for... not a lot. And it comes with 18 AAA Duracell batteries too (3x per light)! Bargainus.

They stick up with sticky pads though, so if they stick great, but if they don't (dust, grease, whatever) they'll never stick right. So I drilled a couple of holes in each one and screwed them into the top of the Detolfs. Easy peasy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Are those Phicen bodies?

13. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha, no. Why are you asking? I suppose 3 Hot Toys Black Widows is a bit excessive... maybe.

It's 3 HT BW, from IM2, Avengers and Avengers AoU. Top shelf is the Disney Store Premium Series BW, Kotobukiya Art FX, VPAK and Bowen Designs first BW statue. Then you have Medicom RAH Rei and Asuka, Kotobukiya Slave Leia statue and the Disney Store Elite Series Leia.

Anyway it's all changed a little bit since I took that pic anyway, but the lights are still the same. Actually I'm thinking of grabbing another pack of six, the remote frequency is the same for all packs (ie, any Capstone remote will work for any Capstone light) so I might be putting up 4 lights per Detolf in each of the top corners and then add the remaining four as 'uplighters' in the BMF case on the other side of the room.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Hm that's really cool! I was asking because I thought the slave Leia statue and one of the Black Widows looked like figures I saw in a YouTube video where a guy converts Hot Toys figures with Phicen bodies to look better.

15. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I really need to get around to taking updated pictures...that pic is like a year old and there are a few changes in the display room.

Still, the Dioders are top notch and really help set the ambiance in the room. Can't recommend them enough.