Life after Prime/Megs, what would it look like?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kronatron, Sep 11, 2016.

1. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I've been wondering what a series would look like exploring a group dynamic without Prime or Megs to spearhead it. I'm all for a good retelling, but when you have the same 10 names doing the same 10 things it gets a little predictable and loses its edge.

I for one would like to see new names and faces go on new misadventures. You can keep it in-canon, make references to the big guys ala Beast Wars, or you could see a whole new dimension where neither existed...or perhaps don't exist yet?

What are some of your ideas for good series arcs that don't involve Prime and Megs?

• Like Like x 2
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Most of post-movie Marvel UK.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Watch maybe TF Animated and the 2001 Robots in Disguise show to get an idea of what a non-war show without Optimus and Megatron as leaders would be like.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    This is right up my alley, i loved the first season of NuRID with the comedy and its Bumblebee reminding me of Rodimus Prime but with a bit more sillyness. The second season got us Prime back and catered to much to the NuRID bashers but it did give us an interesting dynamic of an Optimus seemingly portrayed as an elderly man who felt he had to prove himself to a younger generation who felt it their duty to protect him and take over leadership.

I have been thinking how Marvel Soundwave kept watch over the Decepticon leadership in the first part of UK continuity when the whole Megatron vs Shockwave dynamic was going on, but Soundwave was actually more succesfull the either of them when it came to follow a plan to a succesfull conclusion, i think he could have been a great Decepticon leader in the Marvel UK continuity.

I agree focusing on the same characters all the time becomes boring very fast, i think its time to experiment with other leaders.
    IDW has potential with Nickel of all people seemingly having the potential to be a competent ruthless leader for the Decepticons with Deathsaurus bringing his natural authority to the team i think they could rebuild the Decepticon army in the MTMTE portion of the IDW verse in any case.

But there have been a few characters over the years with the potential to replace Optimus and Megatron as leaders.
    Forgetting for the moment the obvious Galvatron and Rodimus, there is: Jetfire, Grimlock, Fortress Maximus, Thunder Clash, Metalhawk, Pyro, Hyperdrive, Starsaber, Soundwave, Shockwave, Cyclonus, Mindwipe, Sixshot, Deathsaurus, Overlord, Razorclaw, Thunderwing, Skyquake, Clench...
    Heck you could write any character in a leadership role, i have Twintwist and Topspin as factionleaders of the New Cybertron army in my fanfic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    RID IMO has yet to go anywhere. It can get really annoying to those who enjoyed Prime.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  6. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Not necessarily. Transformers: Prime was my favorite Transformers series of all time, and while I don't think it's quite as good as Prime, I still absolutely love Robots in Disguise.

7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

As for the topic at hand, I could see Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Chromedome, Fortress Maximus, Grimlock, Jazz, Arcee, Elita-One, Hound, Ratchet, Ultra Magnus, Springer, and heck, I could even see RID Strongarm as potential leaders to succeed Optimus Prime. To replace Megatron/Galvatron, you could potentially have Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, Onslaught, Swindle, Scrapper, Dreadwing, Airachnid, Scorponok, Straxus, Deathsaurus, Overlord, Blackarachnia, Beast Wars Megatron, the Tripredacus Council, Sixshot, and/or RID Steeljaw succeeding him.

My favorite idea is a sort of division of leadership. Bumblebee leads the Autobots on Earth with Strongarm as his lieutenant, Fortress Maximus leads them on Nebulos with Chromedome as his lieutenant, Elita One leads the Autobots on Cybertron with Chromia as her lieutenant, and Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, Grimlock, and Springer lead their own teams through space to seek out new worlds and stop Decepticons where they appear.
    Meanwhile, the Decepticons would have fallen apart into separate factions, with Starscream and Steeljaw having their own separate forces on Earth with Onslaught and Thunderhoof as their respective second-in-commands, Airachnid with an army of Insecticons in space, Straxus and Soundwave + Shockwave with their own separate forces on Cybertron, Scorponok having his own forces on Nebulos, Deathsaurus leading his own Warworld through space, and the Phase Sixers wandering on their own.

8. kronatron

I'm loving these responses. I think Prime was very well developed and added some much darker undercurrents to the campiness that G1 sometimes had.

RID is okay but it's formulaic most times with the "book 'em, Danno" of the week. I do like the guest appearances, however, and the new take on Grimlock is a nice touch.

I guess I like original characters, or when familiar roles get thrown so outside their typecast that they become something else entirely. Example: what if Bumblebee experienced a loss so profound that he wound up going rogue or switching sides. That kind of story needs tobe told, I think.

I'll have to check out some of the UK stuff, too.

-Kronatron.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It's a big part of the reason I enjoyed Beast Wars Neo so much. It's an entirely new setting that was a lot of fun; while it was a lead off from BWII, there was nothing there that made BWII required viewing because it really was new.

Big Convoy, the one man army, who in the opening destroys an entire Predacon asteroid base single-handedly, using wits and skills is given a new assignment, take a group of cadets on a training mission and find out what happened to another Convoy, Lio Convoy (from BWII). Taking command of the Gung Ho!, he finds a crew of misfits to an extreme (who attempt to haze him as he arrives!) The mission is a success, but they learn from a recording made by Lio Convoy that one of his final acts was to spread energy containers across the universe and that they must be found and secured. However, a group of Predacons have uncovered the same information, so now, Magmatron and his crew of The Dinosaur are in a grand scavenger hunt for the containers!

Sometimes it's pretty much a big fight episode, sometimes it's a themed planet (like a frozen world where only Break [the Penguin], and Big Convoy [the Woolly Mammoth] are suited to go on), sometimes there's guest stars, there are several that are reminiscent of Star Trek episodes, and in the last third of the series there's a major change in pace as a new faction makes itself known and the true purpose of the energy containers are revealed... With Cybertrons fate itself in the balance, can the Gung Ho! crew meet the challenge?

Yes, it was a bit kiddy and silly at times, but it was different and at the time, I really appreciated it.

10. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    I would really love to see a Cybertron that is finally completely revived, unified and at long last, at peace. I would just love to see the whole Cybertronian species united. Perhaps the new threat would come from outside Cybertron, other species (greys, reptilians, insectoids, for example, a serious take from Rescuebot's "Velgrox", etc.) trying to go to war against them, or Cybertronians could be back colonizing systems or going to war against other systems/species but instead of infighting, they form a united strong front, which makes them a completely formidable foe for those that stand in their way.

I guess I would like to see a story where humans go to Cybertron as guest students or guest workers to learn more about Cybertron and we see how some Cybertronians discriminate the humans, but some would protect and side with them.

It would be an interesting take to the words "Til All Are One".

Another interesting take also as far as extra-terrestrial stories go. We've all know stories from Superman and other such characters where their home planet is completely destroyed. Please correct me as I don't follow comic books that well, but unlike Cybertron, Krypton is a completely destroyed planet. Has there been any hint in the Superman lore that they are re-making Krypton.

So i guess in a way that's another advantage that Transformers have and one of the reasons I like the lore in general, specially if they start telling the story of re-building, restoration, revival and unification and Cybertronians and Cybertron will start to thrive again after millions and millions of years at war.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    MTMTE and RID season 1 was basically all this. RID2015 is also this kind of, with Optimus being a minor character instead of a main one.

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    You could call Beast Wars something like this. Yes, it is Optimus and Megatron, but they are radically different from the Prime and Megatron most people would know, so even when sharing the names of their predecessors, they are a completely different experience.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Lots of interesting possibilities....

Could do a future series where the "kid" characters are the old vets, with the likes of Optimus and Megatron being venerated but not quite having become true legends yet. Perhaps the very factions are evolving -- the Autobots becoming more secular ("The great Optimus fought for our Freedom, why are we not free to actually choose our leader?"), the Decepticons having fractured on those that follow the cause and those that follow the man behind it all (maybe the latter even comes up with a new insignia based on Megatron's mug).

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    They always felt very different to their G1 namesakes to me.

15. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    This is a thing that needs to be done ASAP. I feel we need something more mature to explore on TV because at the moment it only seems aimed at children with RID 2015, Rescue Bots etc.

16. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Masterforce kinda has this already. I'm only part was though disc two, but it does give one an idea of what a post Prime and Megatron TF universe would be like.

17. kronatron

And I thought I knew (the gist) of all there was to know about the TF universe. Silly me, I suppose I'll have to go back and read/watch all these noted sources. :D 

18. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Masterforce
    Victory
    Zone
    Car Robots

All of these feature a story without your traditional leader pro/an/tagonists, although Car Robots was adapted into an Optimus versus Megatron cartoon by Hasbro and Saban.

19. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

Basically and original cartoon series after headmasters Up to victory or masterforcw forget whixh one is last

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    You mean Rescue Bots, the series that moved beyond Prime, Megatron, and the Great War?

I should have mentioned them as well, but yeah.

Zone is last. Unfortunately. It's Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Zone.