Liam Neeson as Optimus Prime...(if Cullen cant for some reason)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPancake, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Liam Neeson, but no, I can't see him being a convincing voice of Prime. Cullen has set the bar so high that I could only imagine a trained VOICE actor to mimic him as opposed to some actual Hollywood actor coming in and trying to take the reigns. Neeson would make a great Ultra Magnus, though.

2. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

I agree with all this Ultra Magnus stuff. After reading some of the posts, Im convinced no other person could play Prime but Cullen. Neeson would be AWESOME EPIC as a guy like Ultra Magnus though. Heck, he could of voiced Jolt. Just having his voice in there would make this world implode onto itself.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Echoing the 'Neeson for Magnus' sentiments. Also, model his physical form after City Commander, or GTFO.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Oh FUCK yes.
    Can it happen now? Because I want it to happen now. Cullen, I love you, and you will always be the definitive Optimus Prime, but this HAS to happen ASAP.

OP gets a gold star for this idea.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As cool as Liam Neeson is, I would prefer Optimus to be voiced by Cullen, where and when ever possible. I loved Neeson's performance in the A-Team, and I hope to watch Taken and Unknown soon, but still, Cullen is best.

That's not to say I wouldn't want him to voice some one, whether it was in a reboot of the movie series, or even Transformers Prime as a once off character.

6. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

Thank you, your too kind :D 

7. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,
    yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.......

8. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

if cullen goes its time for optimus prime to go...

9. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not just "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss"
    On topic,It would be a great choice although I'm fine with Cullen.Garry Chalk would be a nice choice too however.

10. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong, Liam Neeson is awesome, but I don't think his voice is quite right for Optimus. If Cullen can't return, I'd rather have Garry Chalk do Optimus. I would love Neeson to voice someone else, though, especially Ultra Magnus.

11. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I agree.

12. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Shame on you. :p  How can you think of ever replacing Peter Cullen so as long as he's alive? Peter Cullen IS Optimus Prime. He's voiced him from the beginning. When you think of Optimus, you think of Peter Cullen's voice. With that said, I do think that Liam Neeson would be a great choice because he has an iconic voice, but I don't think anyone should ever be considered for the part as long as Peter Cullen is still around.

13. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

The OP's idea is great: Liam Neeson would be great for an intense, driven, emotive Optimus.

14. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I like Peter Cullen as an older Optimus. I like Garry Chalk as a younger Optimus or Primal.
    Neeson would make a brilliant Ultra Magnus though.

15. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

This.

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Neeson would be a good choice of Optimus, providing Cullen was somehow unable to fill the role. But if Cullen's there, he's Prime. No question.

I've given this particular topic a fair bit of thought, and one person who I really would be interested in hearing as Optimus...is JEFF BRIDGES. I listened to a small voice-over he did in Tron: Legacy, and I instantly thought "Optimus!" But this is all based on the assumption of an 'older' Optimus. A young character would probably have a different voice actor. I think George Clooney (except that the films budget would be spent on casting him alone) would make a good live-action Transformers Animated Optimus.

This. He was fan-freaking-tastic as Sentinel. Nimoy's voice is so gravelly and iconic, it just screams "Transformers character". I keep dreaming that he'll show up in Transformers Prime. Whether it be a big Ultra Magnus-type character, or a villain, I just want MOAR NIMOY! Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...

17. Dark Autobot

Dark Autobot Child of G1

No......I say you go w Peter....and If her can't you go with a new Prime who can sound like Peter....thats my 2 pennies...

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Well, I'll bite. The thread is asking us to assume Peter Cullen can't/won't reprise Optimus Prime. Clearly, most of us want no substitutes for Cullen, but I don't see the harm in having a little fun with the idea. You know, like "If your favorite food were to vanish from the planet..." type conditions, but I think this Liam Neeson topic is far more interesting.

I think Liam Neeson would be a FANTASTIC Optimus Prime, although I think this change would be easier to swallow with a completely new character model/design and/or a continuity reboot. Liam and Peter pace their words very similarly, and they both have a quiet sense of nobility. Liam and Peter don't need to raise their voices to sound badass, and they can take even the strangest dialogue and make it sound good (e.g. "Give me your face" in ROTF, or any of Liam's horrible dialogue in Star Wars).

I don't hear much tonal similarity between Liam and Peter's voices, but then again, Pierce Brosnan didn't look or sound anything like Sean Connery either. With recasts like this, it's important to find someone who stays true to the character, and not necessarily impersonate the previous actor. If Liam were to jump onboard, I'd want no attempt on his part to emulate Peter, or any post-processing to get him to sound more like Peter. Liam (or whoever voices Optimus next) should aim for a performance that convinces us (the audience) that Optimus is a character who has a lot of nobility as the leader of an entire race, but can and will shoot you in the head in combat because he is a successful military leader. With that description, a number of actors could hypothetically do a good job (just off the top of my head), that description can be fulfilled by names such as Bryan Cranston, Russell Crowe, Keith David, and they could do this without sounding anything like Peter Cullen. Of course, if the next version of Optimus Prime is written as a different type of character (e.g. a TFA-esque noobie Prime), I think the goal would be to cast for that character, not emulate Peter Cullen.

Liam has done voice acting before, in Ponyo, the Clone Wars cartoon, and Narnia, and he was good. Liam did not have Peter Cullen great ability to emote solely with his voice, as I think Liam's disembodied voice loses some power without the physical presence, but there was nothing deficient about Liam's voice acting. I also think Liam would be in the correct price range. Liam seems to be copying Christopher Walken's career, seemingly accepting every script that lands on his table. The A-Team? Unknown? Seriously? Did he READ those scripts? My point is that it's well within reason to accept the role of Optimus Prime if it was offered, far more likely than high-and-mighty untouchable actors like Daniel Day Lewis or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Honestly, I am having a difficult time accepting anyone besides Peter Cullen as the voice of a G1-type Prime (e.g. I liked David Kaye's TFA Prime and was thankful that he was in no way emulating a G1-type performance), but if Peter must be replaced, I can't imagine it getting any better than Liam Neeson.

19. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

Neeson would be a great alternative to cullen, but its still cullen all the way for me has optimus

20. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely Gary Chalk if Cullen can't

I like the idea of Neeson doing Magnus