LGBT characters in Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimal Rodimus, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    Look where dehumanization got you...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I find issue with the "LGBTQ people don't even care if there's representation anyways" take as the point of representation isn't just appealing to that demographic. It's so audiences can empathize with a different culture or background they may not normally interact with. It's just as important for heterosexual people to have LGBTQ people represented in media as it is for LGBTQ people themselves.

I see the point of not humanizing transformers so much to the point they don't even seem like robots, but gender/sexuality aren't characteristics that push it too far for me. It reminds me a bit of when people complain about playable female characters in a CoD or Assassin's Creed because it's not historically accurate. Who cares. Just let people play around with the universe with characters that identify however they want. Does it make sense for there to be a transgender woman robot? I don't know, but I also really don't care.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Transformers don't have penises. On account of being robots.

This may come to a disappointment to those whose genitalia is the only important defining aspect of their entire personality and existence.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lola

Lola Soap

Look where humanization got you...
    Download.jpg
    DxubRIrXgAAtl-5.jpg
    jlRcNIuk-600x338.jpg Transformers2-4-1.jpg Vitaly-Bulgarov7.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lola

Lola Soap

You sure about that?

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    We don't talk about those who do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lola

Lola Soap

CoD did'nt have it in the campaign I remember, maybe I'm wrong correct me on that. Depending thou on how historicaly accurate the game want's to be I and alot of people do care. If it's outside of the campaign, who cares, it's not part of the storie. Also, I'm not sure, but I think BFV had bad marketing, but the campaign included female characters in a good way.
    Assassin's Creed is unrealistic anyway so who realy cares.

9. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    So is Transformers. I don't really care. It's unrealistic, I choose to embrace that. I feel we really should stop caring about realism and start embracing how unrealistic it really is. It's why I really don't like the idea of live action Transformers and why I really love the idea of a Transformers anime. Anime is something that embraces ridiculousness, that doesn't take itself seriously but still believes in itself. For real, I really, really want a Transformers anime.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lola

Lola Soap

You're very passionate about your dream. So am I, I really want a Transformers anime. funnily enough the reason I watched SSSSGridman was because I heard there were Transformers references in there.

• Like Like x 4
  11. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

Yeah I guess I misspoke by saying "all depictions" when I'm not familiar with all depictions. I generally don't count the Bayverse as I thoroughly disliked the 1st two movies, so I don't remember them well and I never saw the others. Bumblebee was the only live action one I liked. When I discuss the lore I'm generally only talking about the 80s comics, cartoon and toys.

I feel like there were indications. I mean their supercomputer was so unfamiliar, it completely ignored the biological creatures moving around and naturally assumed the vehicles were the dominant species. The new characters always seemed shocked and stunned when they would arrive on Earth.

(See Hobbs, THIS guy is just trying to have a conversation. He's actually discussing Transformers (on a transformers discussion board, wow.) As opposed to just popping up to attack someone for how they phrased something in a way that has nothing to do with the discussion. See the difference? That's why you're a troll...)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  12. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I didn’t like those films that much myself either
    That’s more assumption then fact
    For one there’s no indication that the super computer was unfamiliar with biological life

It may have simply bypassed biological life because it had absolutely no ways of converting transformers into anything that would have passed as a biological life form

So it took the only forms available to the scanners

I’m not sure what you mean here, Can you elaborate?

13. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

Agreed, but since we are discussing fiction from multiple sources of media, there's bound to be a fair amount of assumptions. Although I do think in the original comic there was some mention of the computer not knowing / understanding the carbon based life. But I digress.
    Well if you are going by the 80s comic, When Teletran 1 woke up the Dinobots to fight Soundwave it didn't bypass the dinosaurs. But there again they were the only things to copy.

So once again using the old school comics, when new bots made thier way here, via space bridge or what have you, there was usually an acclamation period where they would try to talk to earth vehicles and other such "stranger in a strange land" hijinks. Which all kind of served to show how foreign humans and thier world was to the alien transformers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  14. Primeultra

I do believe there was some mention about it in reference to the Dinobot’s

Aunty.... there was no Teletrqn 1 in the comics, the computer was called Aunty

In that particular area of the world at the time
    Humans maybe......But that was a cultural thing not necessarily a biological thing

Keep in mind in that fictional universe humans were hardly the only biological beings in a galaxy

15. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

20210117_193830.jpg 20210117_193719.jpg

Found these.

While not solid proof per se, it does denote at least an indication.

(Hope this isn't going overboard, not really trying to "prove" anything but I've recently been hassled for not providing "evidence" when posting...)

It's all just how you want to interpret it anyways. To borrow a term I liked that I saw on one of these discussion boards, my "head cannon" is they were unfamiliar with carbon based biological life forms prior to leaving Cybertron.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Primeultra

It’s perfect evidence and I know you did not go overboard

Although there is some leeway in the fact that it doesn’t necessarily mean that the ships computer was unfamiliar with carbon-based life forms

It could be that the probe was programmed to bypass bypass carbon-based life forms for its particular mission.....Which was to find suitable disguises for the transformers

• Like Like x 1
  17. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

Agreed.

18. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Go outside and toss a football.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

It must have some capability to do that, as there's the weird case of the Aussie actress in ROTF who has a flesh and blood 'alt-mode', essentially a Pretender.

20. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

cant believe this shit was brought back after being dead for like 3 months
    then again dunno why this is even worth talking about so much, same shit as transformer gender to me

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.